Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FEC issues  (Read 6855 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: FEC issues
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »

VDSL Range A (Clean)   65.1   48.5 

As you are still performing within range, your ISP are very unlikely to want to call out an Openreach engineer :'(

RE graphs.  Bit hard to say without looking at all other graphs, and not seeing across full frequency range but...
D1 seems a bit noisy.   QLN for D2 range is showing classic signs of crosstalk.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

nsmhd

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »

As you are still performing within range, your ISP are very unlikely to want to call out an Openreach engineer :'(
Your right there and I know I'm not alone it's a shame they keep changing the range as well making it lower which is because of crosstalk. My range used to be 71-54 not long ago. It would be great if we could all have FTTP but looks like OR are going with G.fast which unfortunately will properly have the same issues. I will signup to DSL Stats so I can share my full graphs.

nsmhd

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

Looks like something has changed today as both CES and FEC errors have dropped significantly with no spikes for almost 24 hours.
I have now signed up to My dsl webstats username nsmhd.
Thanks again for all your help and hopefully the banding will be lifted eventually.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »

You shouldn't get any FEC on the downstream with INP=0 and Interleave=1

The stats on the web interface for the HG612 are incorrect, only the stats via telnet are correct.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 08:49:19 PM »

VDSL2 framing
         Bearer 0
MSGc:      20      19
B:      247      238
M:      1      1
T:      64      13
R:      6      16
S:      0.1435      0.5562
L:      14160      3668
D:      1      1
I:      254      255
N:      254      255

The non-zero R values show there is a small amount of FEC on both the downstream and the upstream.

FEC adds coding gain, so it's not necessarily a net-loss of bandwidth. Or perhaps one or other end decided to make use of the available capacity that can't be used for data due to the capped rate.

nsmhd

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »

Thanks for the further replys interesting to know :)
Errors across the board are still lower than last few weeks so fingers crossed it is fixed. I'm going on holiday next week and ideally would like to Power down and disconnect the modem in case of thunderstorms etc is this likely to further prolong the capped speed or make it worse?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »

I'm going on holiday next week and ideally would like to Power down and disconnect the modem in case of thunderstorms etc is this likely to further prolong the capped speed or make it worse?

That reads as a sensible action. I can't see it making the situation worse, the DLM will just regard it as a long-term outage and ignore the circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

nsmhd

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:21 PM »

Thanks burakkucat that's a relief

nsmhd

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »

Hi all,
Just thought I would give an update almost 3 months since my speed was banded by DLM at 54999 down it is still banded unfortunately. How long should it normally take for DLM to relent my line has been stable since I'm on MDWS with the same username?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 06:53:14 PM »

Banding by DLM is an odd thing. I've been banded in the past and it's taken near on a year before it was finally removed. I think some others have had similar experiences with banding removal taking a long time or seeming to never happen.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »

I may be wrong but from your MWDS I can see DS ES and banding may not be removed until the DS errors are reduced or a circuit re-calc.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

nsmhd

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »

Thank you for the replys, I will see what else I can do to get the errors down I did notice one set of my traffic lights was yellow.

nsmhd

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »

Just to give an update In an attempt to bring down the ES rate on DS I have followed Les-70's brilliant post and capped my speed lower at 40/15 and my error rate has gone from average 30/hour to 7/hour. The traffic light for speed MTBE is now green. I have ordered some ferrit clips to go round the cables going into the modem and also some copper mesh to go round the modem to rule out any interfearence internally.
Is there any way of finding out what profile your on I.e speed, standard or stable? My ISP is Sky.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 08:53:12 AM »

sky usually put you on standard, I was for about 12 months then asked to be put on speed profile like the majority of other ISP's, they did this with no problem. I was/am on sky fibre pro so this might have made the speed profile change request easier.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:46:00 AM by skyeci »

nsmhd

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 08:54:58 AM »

Thanks Skyeci that's good to know :)
Pages: 1 [2]