Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The use of dual cables.  (Read 5369 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: The use of dual cables.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 01:24:48 AM »

I still think that OpenReach engineer was talking nonsense. I've never seen or heard of such a cable. I would be surprised if 1 existed. I can't think of any benefit of both copper/fibre being in the same cable. If they were going down this approach then they would install 2 separate cables at the same time. It has the same result, but at least the copper can be recovered.

Copper is very expensive. To have a bunch of your defunct copper lines stuck in the active fibre feed cable is an odd and probably expensive strategy.

When replacing a damaged copper drop cable I see no real benefit installing a fibre cable with it.
When they eventually upgrade the area to FTTP they still have to replace the other 15 or so drop cables on that telegraph pole.

Cables and connectors also change, and a year later they may no longer be using that method to deliver fibre. e.g the connectorised vs spliced fibre.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 08:11:35 AM »

This could be it?
opticalCON DUO Cable - Neutrik

www.neutrik.com › ... › opticalCON › opticalCON ADVANCED › opticalCON DUOThe opticalCON DUO cable connector accommodates a standard optical LC-Duplex ...

Assembled extra rugged hybrid cable with 2 multi-mode fibers and 4 x 0.75 mm2 copper conductors, GFK ... Cost effective fiber optic hybrid cable solution.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »

Well, well, well ............. after a bit of digging around, it seems that the dual-cable (Cu-Fibre) is being used on brownfield sites,  but only from the DP to the premises.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »

Well, well, well ............. after a bit of digging around, it seems that the dual-cable (Cu-Fibre) is being used on brownfield sites,  but only from the DP to the premises.

That sounds like it! Good digging :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »

ideally copper shouldnt be used at all, but with ofcom forcing openreach to keep it for the LLU providers, then this dual cable makes sense to use when work is been done on a DP.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »

I'm still trying to get my head around the practicalities of this. Surely the termination point of the drop wire at both ends will be in a physically different location for the optical fibre and the copper wire. Even if only slightly different, there will need to be a certain amount of 'slack' for either the copper or the fibre to enable it to be reterminated where and when changed from one to the other.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 01:25:42 PM »

Never used it, so can't comment on its practicalities first-hand.

Doesn't VM use a dual-cable type set up with Cu and Co-ax muddled together ?? Or am I wrong with that  :-X

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »

Yes they do, I have some in the shed ;)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 03:55:23 AM »

This could be it?
opticalCON DUO Cable - Neutrik

www.neutrik.com › ... › opticalCON › opticalCON ADVANCED › opticalCON DUOThe opticalCON DUO cable connector accommodates a standard optical LC-Duplex ...

Assembled extra rugged hybrid cable with 2 multi-mode fibers and 4 x 0.75 mm2 copper conductors, GFK ... Cost effective fiber optic hybrid cable solution.
Nah, they aren't twisted pair. The 2 x 0.75mm copper is for powering CCTV systems or various other low powered remote devices.

Seems this company does such products to required spec upon request.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 11:26:27 AM »

Who knows what the take up of fibre BB products will be ?? Judging from the various straw polls we've had on here ..... not bl00dy many ??. 

Going by the numbers of those actually buying had BT skipped FTTC and gone straight to P it would have been well in excess of their plans and been at least 40%.

We will of course never know as one you release hybrid technologies is becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Uptake would have been very high here and in other places because existing ADSL was so poor, regardless of the alternative offered :)

I can say with confidence that the uptake of FTTP will likely be 100% given enough time.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything