Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Erratic SNRM, is this a problem?  (Read 3592 times)

LukeW

Erratic SNRM, is this a problem?
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:12 PM »

Hello,

I've recently setup mydslwebstats with my HG612 and have noticed how erratic the SNRM values appear to be.
Is this a bug in the HG612's firmware, or is it an indicator of something more sinister?
If this is a problem, what could be causing it and how could I go about fixing it?

I have added a screenshot of the graph for SNRM, and you should be able to view the statistics for my line on mydslwebstats under the username LukeW.

Thank you for your help.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Erratic SNRM, is this a problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 11:04:12 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

There is certainly something "not right" with your circuit. We need to determine if the defect is your side of the network termination point (the NTE5) or on Openreach's side.

Please explain your current wiring situation; how the modem/router is connected to the circuit.

Looking at the data on MDWS, I have a suspicion that there may be a defective joint somewhere in the circuit. A joint that may be beginning to show high resistance (HR) or semi-conductive tendencies. As a result of that defect, the circuit shows poor AC balance and that, in turn, may be the reason for the condition of the DS3 band, as shown in the QLN plot.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

LukeW

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 02:15:06 PM »

My fibre broadband was installed by an engineer who relocated the master socket from downstairs to upstairs, the master socket downstairs is now disconnected and the upstairs socket appears to be connected with jelly crimp connectors.
The HG612 is currently connected to the master socket upstairs.
My telephone is also connected to the master socket upstairs.
I used to have extensions connected, however as these are not used they have now been disconnected.

Thank you for your help.

LukeW

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »

I also switched over to BT from Vodafone today, this may explain the resyncs starting at around 10 AM.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:18:14 PM »

I also switched over to BT from Vodafone today, this may explain the resyncs starting at around 10 AM.

Ah, that certainly explains the circuit re-trains . . . but I am still very suspicious that there is a HR or semi-conductive joint in the metallic pathway.

LukeW

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »

Do think it would be worth having an engineer out?
After all, I don't have any extensions connected, so it must be a problem on BT's side right?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »

You're getting around 3000 ES per hour. Pretty sure DLM will apply interleaving in the morning.
There's nothing Openreach can do about the erratic SNRM as such.
If the ISP tests don't detect a fault and the line syncs within the expected range they likely won't send an engineer.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »

Are you still using the HG612 after migration to Vodafone?
DLM is not going to like all those resyncs that occured this morning.  The Err Secs are currently running at 23k, which is extremely high. 
I should imagine you will be feeling the lag and slow surfing.  :(

It looks like you are on open profile atm - b0 Interleaving = 0. INP = 0 so Im not sure if DLM will take action tomorrow.  The line is certainly noisy.

It could be an emerging HR fault, but if it was HR I'd expect your upstream to show more variance, instead it remains relatively unaffected.   

For a while between 12pm to 2:30 there was a noise pattern emerging.
I don't see anything too concerning in your h-log. 
QLN is messy, some signs of crosstalk.  PSD shaping for line probably not close to the exchange.

Bit loading showed some gaps in tail end D3 which if I was b^cat I would say made my whiskers tingle.   Its not bad, but tone 3400 onwards almost look like total missing gaps rather than usual tail off. There isnt sufficient SNR to say for certain, but it did arouse my curiosity to look at bit swap and to look at SNR in more detail.   

Look at SNRm/Band.  Aside from what ever the heck was going on this morning after migration.   Noise is majorly affecting D3 - thats quite some variance. 

---
ETA
Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
-  Unfortunately I type verrrrrrry slow these days as my arm isnt fully functioning. :/ 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

LukeW

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:30:55 PM »

Yes, I'm still using the HG612 to report line stats.
I'm concerned the issue was caused when FTTC was installed by the engineer originally when he moved the master socket.
When he moved the master socket, he decided to use the existing internal wiring which was connected to the external network using the jelly crimps.

Could the internal wiring be acting as a type of aerial?
Could this collect interference from around the house?

The BT order also says "In the first 28 days that you are with us we will monitor your service and if we can provide you with faster speeds by sending you an engineer we will provide one free of charge".
Would I be able to use this to get an engineer out to attempt to find and resolve the problem?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 09:07:53 PM »

Why did he move the master socket?

Was the extension wiring installed by BT?

LukeW

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:42 PM »

The master socket was moved on my request, as the equipment would have had to be installed downstairs and all the computers, etc are upstairs.
The old ADSL equipment was installed downstairs, the wireless was terrible (only reaching the stairs) and powerline performance was equally as bad.
The move was suggested by the engineer, hence I thought it was a good idea.

The extension wiring was not installed by BT, it was installed by the electricians when the house was built.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 11:21:25 PM »

I think we are all in agreement that something currently is not right with your circuit. Exactly what . . . ?  :-\

Ideally a "SFI" or "Broadband Boost" visit by a multi-skilled Openreach technician should resolve the problem.

Have you performed a quiet line test? Is there any audible noise or interference when the telephone is used?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 11:35:53 PM »

Housing developers rarely use high quality solid core twisted pair for extensions. Stranded core extension cabling has a detrimental impact on VDSL2 sync speeds.

When running my connecting from the extension socket which has about 10 metres of extension wiring, my sync dropped from 55mb to 22mb.
So 900m of copper gave 55mb, but 910m gave 22mb. That 10m of extension makes a huge difference.

You can pick up genuine BT Cable supplied cw1308/cw1724 for a very reasonable price and replace the cheap extension wiring.

Have you tried connecting the modem to the incoming BT feed before it connects to the extension wiring?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 10:04:22 AM »

I would have done what I did. Leave the modem at the original master and run some cat5e up to where your router/networking is situated. I tried using the internal wiring first and the loss was about 10 mb - now leaving the modem at my original point of entry my sync is not affected, I have cat5e external from the front of the house and around the side to one of the rooms at the back where all my kit is located.

I would try putting your modem/router or whatever back the point of the original master  and see what stats you get back. If its all good then you could consider some "diy" internal or external networking.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »

Did you have the modem switched off yesterday?   I was revisiting this thread as I was going to suggest leaving the line powered down for several hours.   Sometimes it can happen that an extended power down can clear a bout of noise especially after a new crosstalker joins or after a local power failure.

That line is certainly not a happy line - Something in the D3 frequencies is causing a lot of interference.   Your line is already red for MBTE.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2

anything