Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 3506 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Virgin Media
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »

Not shown in a good light on BBC's 'Watchdog live', tonight. Absolutely terrible throughput issues.  ;)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:38:09 PM »

Yes but in my view this is the pot calling the kettle black.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:48:53 PM »

They're currently on our estate installing proper fibre, it will be nice to have the choice, but I am apprehensive, but will probably sign up.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:53:36 PM »

I'd completely disagree. I can't remember the last time my throughput was limited in anyway over the BT network.

BT's VDSL2 over an ageing copper network may well be inferior to the potential of Virgins network technology, but at least they have the capacity to back up what they sell.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:39:43 PM »

Totally agree ^^^. No pot, no kettle ................. this is pure mis-selling, as was agreed by their CEO. Previous 'Watchdog' attacks on BT have been on their sometime slow delivery, or issues with rural areas ....... nothing like the scale of what we saw tonight on the throughput speeds being offered by VM. 

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »

Ah another anti the competition post.

Virgin have capacity issues in some areas that is true, no disputing that. But to use that as a justification for BT using decades old infrastructure and a stupidly planned G.Fast rollout to continue to use it rather than use fibre, you have to be joking.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 11:42:40 PM »

Ah another anti the competition post.
It looked to me like a post about a T.V show that aired tonight, that was specifically about Virgin and their throughput issues.

It's the anti BT brigade posting in a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with BT, or the technology either provider uses.
Virgin have capacity issues in some areas that is true, no disputing that. But to use that as a justification for BT using decades old infrastructure and a stupidly planned G.Fast rollout to continue to use it rather than use fibre, you have to be joking.
Nobody tried to justify anything. BS simply posted about tonight's show. He made no mention of BT. It's rather unfair that he makes an unrelated post and people randomly bash BT just because he works for them.

On topic, and with the specific issue mentioned, Virgin have fallen way short of what they should. Getting 3% of the speed sold to you is a joke.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40504354
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 06:23:24 AM »

I get 58% down and 30% up of what's sold to me, but it is consistent. There's a lot of people that get less than that. If you look at it that way how does it compare with VM. BTs service is hindered by phone lines, VMs by capacity issues.

Hopefully last night's program will prompt VM to do something about their capacity issues.

BS would of fully known that by posting this thread there will be BT bashing, unfortunately the old copper line makes it too easy.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 07:34:50 AM »

Ronski's correct to a point, I knew there would be some 'anti-BT' comments by the usual suspects, that's a given. But, I was rather hoping that seeing as the 'anti-BT' stuff has been done to death and back  :no: ... we might have had some input from VM EU's on this thread, giving their own experiences of T/Put issues as outlined quite compellingly on 'Watchdog'.

By the lack of input thus far stating otherwise (albeit it early in the thread's life), the VM EU's agree with last nights expose, or ....... there isn't anybody on kitz who use VM ???

Regarding BTOR ......... they are, and will, continue to sweat their asset (metal MPF). It's not news ............ get over it.

PS ... please, please, please .... not another 15 pages of how fibre is better.  ::)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »

Unfortunately  (or fortunately) I didn't see the program. Trouble with Watchdog is they can be very one sided, but if it helps improve VM  and their issues  then that can only be good news.

I'm going to have a read of Jelv's links.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »

For an objective analysis read https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7754-we-look-deeper-into-the-performance-variations-virgin-media-users-see
Oh, the usual TBB graph with no X-axis which given enough results would tend to a straight line

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 08:30:16 PM »

Just watched the episode and they put the problem across very well, apart from at the end where they kept pushing for something the CEO was never going to give. Hopefully though this has given VM the kick up the backside they needed.

Totally of topic, but I was far more shocked by 'Faster Response' charging over £700 for a plumbing job which should only take 15 minutes, if that!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:27 AM »

Totally agree, Ronski. Disgusting.  :rant:
Pages: [1] 2