Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: WiFi In Hotels, Guest Houses, Holiday Cottages etc.  (Read 1475 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
WiFi In Hotels, Guest Houses, Holiday Cottages etc.
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:57:32 PM »

WiFi In Hotels, Guest Houses, Holiday Cottages, Pubs, plus others.
What your experience when on holiday /on business  (in this country ) with WiFi.
I found a lot of the hotels I have been in all have very poor WiFi or it is good in quieter times but rubbish when it is busy and the coverage is poor.
I have a speed tester app on my phone and do a test.
Just been to the Isle of Wight for a week and the grade two listed stables cottage were we stopped had none at all  :( , The main house an old vicarage was only on ADSL, even though there was a FTTC cab 50m from there door, I advised them how the could get the internet to the cottage via a 'line of sight' link.  ;D
We went to 'Monkey Haven' and they had free WiFi with very good download and upload speeds and good coverage.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: WiFi In Hotels, Guest Houses, Holiday Cottages etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »

I think there is a clear separation between the two situations mentioned in your post, TM.

If on business, I would wish to experience a decent connection. If on holiday, I wouldn't give a hoot if the premises was on a 56k modem set-up.

I use my holiday down-time to get away from all this techy garbage, and experience the place I'm visiting to its fullest.  :) 

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:04:53 PM »

I agree with the principle of avoiding tech on holiday, but I usually find that soon after arriving at a destination I do want a connection, maybe to see a parking map of Brighton, or to find a place in Falmouth that does real ales, or to check the timetable for Isle of Wight ferries.

Experience varies with hotel WiFis, certainly a big bucks room in a five star hotel is as likely to be good/bad as the local pub's spit & sawdust B&B.

But these days I'm a little mistrusting of public or hotel WiFi, and there's no easy way to tell if any given network is properly admistered.   If possible I use mobile data, which I consider to be safer.  Main worry is not security of my communications as such, but the vulnerability of my devices to malware attacks from other devices connected to poorly managed networks. ???

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:44:25 PM »

We only use the free WiFi for like was said, maps, weather, updating my WiFi enabled Sat-nav, local shows /  Theatre etc.
You only need a few people to start streaming and it kills the connection for all.
We did go to a very good up-market hotel in Chester and there was a mix of Business and people on holiday, it the afternoon it was 25.37mbps down and 9.75 up , later on that night it was 27kbps down and 19kbps up, you could not do anything with that.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »

Totally agree that hotel status is no guarantee of good WiFi.

Staying in a big posh US chain hotel a couple years back, that we'd used before, in a very modern city,  we were greeted as 'privileged customers', which allowed us free WiFi.   The room was  huge and fantastic, with a wonderful view from the umpetty umpteenth floor, but whilst WiFi had a good signal, it was like it was on dial up regarding speed. >:(

I was glad WiFi was free, else I'd have been demanding a refund. I did have a grump about it anyway when I checked out, but I think they already knew, just didn't care.

josskay

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »

Usually I use wifi only to get in touch with my family and check local events/prices and some handy information for the trip. Overall I try to stick to my phone less because I've enough time to do that back at home. Though once I stayed in a hotel where it seems that only our room was covered badly. We had to hang out in the common room to connect. We complained about it, but the staff said no one else had problems in the room (what else could they say). It's not crucial, but still not very convenient

anything