--- Quote ---Hello all,

A customer has informed us that he saw a strange spike in his traffic
usage. He found this odd, as he has not changed his browsing habits, has
a secured wireless network etc. The only thing he changed on his PC was
installing AVG8.

The new AVG (that doesn't appear to be free, and the old free version
constantly nags you to update to it) now has a page link scanner, which
checks a link before you click on it. The customer disabled this
feature, and his usage dropped back to normal.

I'm not sure exactly how this could cause a massive spike in usage,
unless it is scanning all links on every page you visit, but something
to look out for.

Dave

--- End quote ---

Azzaka:
To add,

We are now performing some internal testing and will advise you when we have some more information regarding this matter.

Leo

kitz:
Thanks for the heads up Leo.

Btw in another thread last week I mentioned I uninstalled the new AVG from my PC.
Some of the reasons I said at the time were
~ The link scanner seemed to be slowing down google searches/page load times
~ I didnt like how once you turned it off - there was a "constant nag" reminder in your sys tray that AVG needed attention and was showing a red exclamation.  In this state it would be easy to overlook any issues that really did need attention because you would become blase about the warning icon.

The final straw was that it was flagged my FTP Server software up as a security risk and disabled it.
I'm now using Avast.

oldfogy:
I have said in the past I also used to use Avast, but because of a problem at the time I changed over to AVG.
Now that problem (Virus Chest retrieval) has been over-come, it now looks like it won't be long before Avast is re-installed.

dave.m:
I could not get on with Avast at all, hated the 'radio' type controls and all the whistles and things that came with it.
I stuck with AVG upto and including the 7.5 but after a few problems with it freezing on System restore files, I got the Avir and used that for a month or so.
Then I got the free disc with PCW and loaded Spyware Doctor with Antivirus on one machine and was really happy with it. When AVG started mucking about with popups I put the Doctor on my main machine too instead of AVG.
As there are about a dozen threads running on VNU with problems and questions about AVG 8 on 'how to' work certain things, I'll leave it alone until it is all running smoothly before trying it.
dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version