Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New iPad 2017  (Read 9849 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
New iPad 2017
« on: July 01, 2017, 06:52:33 PM »

My 'goto' device for web surfing and email has remained the iPad 2 which I purchased at a bargain price over 5 years ago, being discounted after launch of iPad 3.   But post iOS 8 it got a bit sluggish and, calling myself 'a developer', being stuck on iOS 9 lacked credibility.

So more or less on impulse, I have indulged in the new iPad, launched earlier in the year.  This one sells alongside iPad Pros and seems to replace the iPad Airs but confusingly, is once again just called 'iPad'.   Seems a neat device, well-spec'd and a very good price, at least if it sees me through half as many years as the iPad 2. :)

Next on shopping list must be a new Mac to replace my 8 year old Mac Mini.  Mine won't run Sierra, which means I can't install the Xcode version needed for iOS 11. But I really like the Mini and the current offering dates back to 2014, which makes me wonder how life much life it has left.   I can borrow time on better half's more modern machine for now, but if only they'd bring out an updated Mac Mini at a sensible price, I'd be queuing outside waiting for the store to open. :D

mteven

Re: New iPad 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »

I like its brighter screen though it is slightly heavier than the Ipad Air 2.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »

Coming from an iPad 2 2012 vintage, both screen and weight are simply vast improvements for me.

Only disappointment, and I need to get around to doing some experiments to prove or disprove this,  is it seems to take an awful lot longer to charge, vs iPad 2.  I know the battery's a bit bigger, but we're talking about several times as long to charge. 

Battery life, once charged, of old iPad 2 was always one of its strong points too.   I'm not yet convinced the new iPad is any better, or even as good - especially in standby.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »

I would agree. I have the smaller iPad Pro and I'm convinced the charge does not last as long as my previous model, particularly when using the Apple Pencil. I usually charge it overnight as it does take a while.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 10:55:40 PM »

Not just me, then.

My routine for ages has been, in the evening I settle in front of the TV for a couple of hours, maybe watch a film, during which time the old iPad would charge to 100%, even if fully drained.

Since getting new iPad 2017, the time taken to watch a movie is nowhere near enough for a full charge, perhaps 50% at best.

Not the most scientific of measures, but a statement of fact.  ...ish.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:46:27 PM »

I have an iPad 5 and an iPad Pro v1 12" screen version. I like them both but the battery charge time is a real pain on occasion. Most of the time, I'm permanently on mains though. The weight of the ipad pro is a bit of a nuisance but the real problem is its protective case, which really increases the weight by large amount. I've tipped it over and hit myself in the face several times, nearly cutting my top lip the last time.