Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadcom chipset router with the highest sync rate?  (Read 3332 times)

cbdeakin

• Reg Member
Broadcom chipset router with the highest sync rate?
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »

Hi,
I've recently upgrade to a VDSL2 80mb package and I'd like a router with the highest possible sync rate. My current VR200 router (lantiq chipset) syncs at 58.7mbps. Should I look for a newer broadcom chipset? Can anyone suggest a router and compare the sync results to any others you have tried?
Aluminium line. ECI cabinet. Fun times.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Broadcom chipset router with the highest sync rate?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »

My advice is to look at the very first post of this thread. In particular, give some consideration to the ZyXEL devices . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:23 PM »

Do you know what cab type you are on. If you are on a huawei cab then probably worth getting a broadcom device... lots of other factors can affect your sync...

Start with having a look for your cab type with the aid of this...

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/cabinet-lookup.htm#fttc_cab_info

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »

As well as cab type, line length sometimes makes a difference.  Generally speaking the Billion 8800NL (R1) and Zyxel VMG8324/8924 appear to perform best on shortish lines.  (BCM63168 chipsets).

> Can anyone suggest a router and compare the sync results to any others you have tried?

I'm on an ECI cab.  When testing a modem I usually use the HG612 as baseline performance.   -  You can see how it compares with a VR900 here.  From memory the VMG8324 gave me circa 3.8Mb more headline than the VR900 and ~3.5Mb more than the HG612.

For a cheap router the TD-W9970 with its BCM 63381 modem chipset performed quite well, but that would be a backwards step for you when it comes to wifi.   Although Ive not done a write-up, the Zyxel VMG1312-B10D performs almost identically (BCM 63381).

If you are not wanting to take a backwards step on the wifi, then perhaps look at the Zyxel VMG8924-B10A whose modem performance is exactly the same is the VMG8324.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker