Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Regular gaps in MDWS graphs  (Read 4746 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Regular gaps in MDWS graphs
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »

Probably telnet session locking out..

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 02:38:16 PM »

Just a quick follow-up to my questions from yesterday.....

.....it looks to me as if things are now back to normal, i.e. no more gaps in the MDWS graphs and the status is now showing as 100%.

@tbailey2 - could you confirm that my uploads are now working as they should be please. Also, I would be interested to know how I might influence the time at which uploads are initiated, if it is possible to do so.

Thanks

toulouse
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:35:08 PM by toulouse »
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 03:58:59 PM »

Aside from the HG612_Modem_Stats co-operation (which is for Windows only) the way to influence the upload time is to start recording soon after the start of a minute. I think Tony's suggestion was a good one, because the Raspberry Pi is a low powered device, and the extra processing required once an hour for the QLN, HLog, Bitloading and SNR per tone graphs could possibly be a factor in the missing uploads. If you start recording near to the start of the minute you have the maximum time for processing the data.

Of course this all depends on the accuracy of the clock in the device running DSLstats, and you should make sure that the RPi clock is properly synchronised with NTP.
  Eric

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »

Looks fine at the moment although why it suddenly did so I have no idea.

You still have NOT definitely confirmed that you have physically checked (Configuration > Misc) that the HG612 Modem Stats Cooperation option is NOT enabled.

Assuming you can see the DSLStats window, every time it takes a sample, it says Sampling at top right for a short period (here it's for a fraction of a second). If you load it and start it up say at about 50 secs to the hour, it will pause for a while and not sample before about 5 secs past which is what you want. The only reason I know of why it would sample at 43 secs is if the co-operation entry is set (irrespective of whether the HG612 program is actually running) which delays it past 35 secs (from memory)? Other than that maybe your pi is knackered and/or running extremely slowly or ......

Maybe Eric can comment please?

EDIT
Eric didn't see your post sorry. Checking the RPi clock would be a very good idea ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 04:23:17 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

You still have NOT definitely confirmed that you have physically checked (Configuration > Misc) that the HG612 Modem Stats Cooperation option is NOT enabled.

It can't be enabled on the Raspberry Pi, it's for Windows only.
  Eric

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »

So it isn't present on the RPi menu, that's what I've been trying to find out.
Tony
My Books!

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »

@Eric and tbailey2,

Thanks both for your additional comments.

I can confirm that the HG612 Modem Stats Cooperation is DEFINITELY NOT SET and neither is HG612 Modem Stats running on any machine here. I have a mix of the following :

Mac-Mini running OSX (latest version)
Windows XP and 8.1
Raspberry Pi 3 x4 plus various other Model B - not all running at once. DslStats is running on one of the Pi 3s.

I have taken on board the suggestions about ensuring that the clock time on the Pi is correct, and will look into checking and updating this via ntp perhaps every 3 or 4 hours or more frequently if thought wise. Having said all this, it does strike me that the situation appears to have cured itself since late yesterday afternoon, and whether that is as a result of the various things I tried yesterday or that magic that technology provides, I am not really sure.

Anyway, for now, I'll keep an eye on things and let you know if the problem reappears.

Thanks,

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2017, 04:30:05 PM »

On the Linux and Raspberry Pi versions of DSLstats the option can be seen, but it's greyed out and can't be enabled.
  Eric

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »

it's greyed out and can't be enabled

It would be beneficial to me (and maybe others) if this was possible to be set. I have hg612stats running on a windows machine and DSLStats on a raspberry PI.

I have to take care that the PI starts at hh:mm:10 and the windows machine task is set for hh:mm:45.

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2017, 10:46:21 PM »

Yes, I can do that. It never occurred to me that some users would want to run the two programs on separate machines.

When that option is enabled, DSLstats samples at 35-40 seconds after the minute, as HG612_Stats is assumed to start on the minute.
  Eric

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 10:53:31 PM »

HG612_Stats is assumed to start on the minute.

Good idea  :)

That's another thing - if HG612 Stats starts exactly on the minute +/- it doesn't upload to MDWS properly as small differences in the time can cause duplicate uploads- I remember that Ronski added an option to delay the start if needed quite recently.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:57:07 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Pages: 1 [2]

anything