Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DrayTek Vigor 130 - Failing after ~6 months, possible causes?  (Read 7031 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DrayTek Vigor 130 - Failing after ~6 months, possible causes?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2019, 03:40:24 PM »

. . . I’ll start a thread later today. I’m not sure if I should open it under broadband hardware or broadband technology as I have questions about both! Will open it in this section I think :)

Here, in Broadband Hardware, please.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

crgbt

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »

Here, in Broadband Hardware, please.

Phew! I’d posted it before you replied, glad it’s in the right spot  :)

Some appliances contain a built-in surge protector, in the crude form of a varistor across the mains supply, after a fuse.  If the mains voltage momentarily exceeds a threshold, the varistor absorbs absorbs the surge.   If it's more than momentary, or the varistor shorts, the fuse blows. 

I simply don't know if the modem power brick will have built-in varistor protection.  I vaguely thought power bricks often do, but despite having spent an obsessive amount of time googling the topic, I can't find any evidence that I'm right.

In any case I'd really not dwell on it.  I can argue a case that hypothetical scenarios might exist that would cause a varistor to fail on a regular basis every few months, owing to a badly behaved UPS.   But since the fuse should then blow, that failure mode would cause the modem to become completely dead and bricked, rather than limping on weakly.

Thanks for looking into it, I appreciate it. I’m going to give the PSU a try anyway as it’ll be a useful bit of kit if I’m powering two modems when my other line is installed - it’ll make my install just that little bit neater!

Wow, that's quite a hefty bit of kit.....enough to power half a dozen modems if/when you get that many!!
If I was giving that a trial, whether direct from mains or via a UPS, I'd put a 2A fuse in the feed to the modem (as I do if powering from a 12V battery) just to feel a little safer.
And I think your wish to relocate the UPS to outside the kitchen cabinet is very sound.

I bought it a while ago to power some 12V fans I have cooling my VMware home lab cabinet and then discovered 5V USB fans before I got a chance to use it.

Re: fuses, would something like this be okay with a 2A fuse wired into the +ve line: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EFLXR36/ ?

As I say, I’m not super good with electronics so want to double check before I blow anything up :D

Thanks,
crgbt

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2019, 05:09:41 PM »

Re: fuses, would something like this be okay with a 2A fuse wired into the +ve line: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EFLXR36/ ?

I would say NOT, Crgbt, ....those appear to be for 250V mains fuse.

For my modem/12V DC purposes I use 12V car fuses of appropriate value, in this case 2A, which are cheap and cheerful (ie pence) on eBay (or any reasonable garage)......added as you say to the +ve wire to the modem.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:12:41 PM by jack21 »

crgbt

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2019, 05:14:04 PM »

I would say NOT, Crgbt, ....those appear to be 250V mains fuse.

For my modem/12V DC purposes I use 12V car fuses of appropriate value, in this case 2A, which are cheap and cheerful (ie pence) on eBay (or any reasonable garage).

Whoops, that was not the right link. I meant these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FVJ7WC8/ - sorry! I should have checked the link, that’s what I get for posting from my phone  :-\

I’ve got plenty of 2A fuses from fitting dash cams for family & friends, so I’m all good there :)

Thanks,
crgbt
Pages: 1 2 [3]