Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: DSLstats version 6.0 released  (Read 31774 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats version 6.0 released
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »

Hi broadstairs

I believe 5.6 is pointing to wrong website (roseway changed domain and server), so this is the reason for the timeout.

Roseway pointed this out on renluop thread over FP issue and wanting to try earlier versions

I'm sorry if I'm wrong

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »

Windows situation to date:

1. Danger warning when first running the program: This is just Windows being protective. I've submitted the v6.0 version of dslstats.exe to virustotal, and the report is completely clean. If you get this message you can click on the "More info" link and allow the program to run.

2. Failure to get IP address: I suspect that this was no more than a temporary network problem.

3. Stealing focus while sampling: still to be looked at.

4. Failure of upload16.exe: Several users are successfully uploading to MDWS from DSLstats v6.0, so this issue applies only to some systems. I can confirm it on my own Windows 8.1 system, but at present I don't know what the cause is.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »

@Stuart: Thanks for the offer of help, but as I just mentioned, I can confirm the issue on my Win 8.1 system. What d2d4j said is half right, but I haven't yet shut down the old website, so versions prior to v5.9 will still work for a short time longer.
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »

Hi roseway

Many thanks, sorry I was only half right, I normally very quickly scan posts and memory is failing fast

I have installed 6 onto our win7 64 bit, and so far the only issues I saw were as follows

Avast has noted dslstats.exe maybe dangerous and is currently investigating the file (I know it's safe but once avast does, it should not complain anymore)

The program appeared to freeze and became unresponsive for a few seconds - cured by adding to exception for dslstats folder (so it covers all in folder) in avast AV

I'm not sure if it helps, or if anyone sets up same but I run dslstats from root (c:\dslstats) and give all users full control and I have not had any issues, nor do I have start as administrator

My config file though is held in user/app data/local/dslstats

Using this setup, I just download the latest version, copy to root, set permissions and exclusion in avast AV, close dslstats and start the new version

I hope it helps a little but realise it has changed on later versions of Windows

Many thanks

John

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 11:38:55 AM »

Thanks for all that information John. I've never really understood why DSLstats is fussy about where it's installed, and you seem to seem to have demonstrated that it isn't so fussy. :) Of course, if you enable the option to keep its configuration and other files in the same folder as the program files, then this must be user writeable.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »

Just to add that on my live system DSLStats is (and always has been) installed on the D drive, but on my Virtualbox system it is installed on C:\DSLStats.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »

hi,

Just hoped someone could comment on what I am seeing is normal or not? - having been a pi3 uploader before things seemed to work fine. I thought  I would try dsl stats on a windows 10 based pc etc.  I am seeing  a "not responding" on the top bar everytime a sample takes place. Once the sample has been taken the program continues to work as expected until the next sample starts..

Anyone else seeing this please? - example attached

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »

Yes, I am seeing the not responding window but I mostly have DSLStats minimised and use another program. The not responding tends to show as stealing focus from the other application. I believe Eric is looking at this.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »

Ok, thanks for confirming.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 10:42:40 PM »

There's an issue with the Windows version which doesn't affect everybody, and I'm having difficulty nailing it down at the moment. I have some ideas, but it will take  a bit of time to test them.
  Eric

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 10:48:17 PM »

Ok thanks  for the feedback. Happy to test anything if it helps. The machine is a new build, fully updated along with plenty of spec etc..

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 11:05:42 PM »

Hi

@roseway, I believe it is because of tbailey2 server

I could be wrong sorry,as I thought excluding in AV would cure the unresponsive aspect, but it continued until I halted upload

As I said, I could be wrong but coincidence perhaps

Many thanks

John

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 11:08:21 PM »

I will try this on mine

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:13 PM »

Hi

@roseway, I believe it is because of tbailey2 server

I could be wrong sorry,as I thought excluding in AV would cure the unresponsive aspect, but it continued until I halted upload

As I said, I could be wrong but coincidence perhaps

Many thanks

John

Just tried with upload "unticked" and there is NO hang for me. Re-ticked upload and the not responding is back..

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 12:41:54 AM »

I am seeing the same as Skyeci on V6. Untick MWDS upload and stealing focus/hang disappears so it is something to do with the upload.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

anything