Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 7 system driving me mad  (Read 6369 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Windows 7 system driving me mad
« on: February 20, 2018, 03:45:59 PM »

I have one Windows 7 system which at present I am unable to remove. Recently I had a hard disk fail in it and had to install a new one and re-install Windows 7.

My huge issue with it is that I am unable to get into the BIOS because both the BIOS and Windows Boot Manager use the DEL key to access. That's really stupid, no one in their right mind would use either DEL F2 or ESC to activate a boot manager when they are the three most common keys used for BIOS access. The hardware I'm using is a Gigabyte BRIX which is a mini-pc and the Logo screen where you have to hit DEL flashes by in well under a second which means so far I've been unable to access the BIOS. I think the only way to do this now is to remove the HDD and try booting it to see if the BIOS will open - unless anyone knows how I might get round this?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 7 system driving me mad
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:05:45 PM »

If its getting to the stage where you're getting into windows boot manager, then you've gone way past the point of getting into the BIOS.

Double check you are using the correct key for the Bios, when you power on,  continuously and rapidly hit the correct BIOS key.

I thought F8 was for the boot manager.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:13:44 PM »

If its getting to the stage where you're getting into windows boot manager, then you've gone way past the point of getting into the BIOS.

Double check you are using the correct key for the Bios, when you power on,  continuously and rapidly hit the correct BIOS key.

I thought F8 was for the boot manager.

Yes I am using the correct key its DEL. You would not believe how many times I've tried, either holding DEL and the the power button or pumping it like mad while hitting the power button but nothing brings it up. Finally I took the HDD out and booted, it came up in the UEFI shell and then I typed exit which dropped back into the BIOS. So I've managed to check the BIOS settings now and it's back up again having put back the HDD. I'll see what happens now when I boot next time but it's a real pain.

The other issue I have is that the Bluetooth wont work despite me having the correct driver (which Windows complains about). It took 5.5 hours to update W7 from an install using SP1 which is ludicrous. I'd forgotten what a pain Windows is.  >:(

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »

Glad you managed to sort it, not a Windows fault though as once it gets to starting to load the OS it's way past the stage of entering the BIOS, some are a pain to get in to, especially if they are set up to skip various stages for a faster start up.

Yes Windows 7 is a right pain to install from scratch, at least with Windows 10 you can download a recent build and not be faced with as many updates.

What's the complaint from Windows about the Bluetooth driver?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:44:15 PM »

Despite it being the driver from the Gigabyte website and Windows installs it OK after a reboot it say the driver is missing. I've contacted Gigabyte to see what they say. I've also deleted the driver and let Windows search for it but it installs a default driver which wont work either although I dont see the any errors it just does not detect any bluetooth devices and I've tried several. I should add that I've googled it and tried all the fixes I could find and double checked the settings all to no avail.

If only I could get one particular piece of software converted to Linux I could ditch my last Windows install, trouble is this is unique software, its the only one in the world and it's written for Window and wont run under Wine, at least not yet.

Stuart
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:47:31 PM by broadstairs »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:14:03 AM »

Bluetooth dongles are pretty cheap,  could you not just buy one and disable the onboard one to save the grief?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »

Yes but two issues, first all my USB ports are used (this is a mini-pc in a small box 4"x4"x2.5") and I don't see why this should not work. The easiest answer would be a different make of micro-pci card as it's removable. It annoys the hell out of me that it does not work 'out of the box'. I tested Linux before I installed it with W7 and all worked OK including Bluetooth  ;) I'll wait to see what Gigabyte support say.

Stuart

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »

Having set up a Gigabyte Brix, are you using a wired or wireless keyboard? also make sure you change the power management setting to ERP ! otherwise the stupid thing will keep boot looping back on!
This setup is using Lubuntu 17.04
What program are you wanting to replace?
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »

Having set up a Gigabyte Brix, are you using a wired or wireless keyboard? also make sure you change the power management setting to ERP ! otherwise the stupid thing will keep boot looping back on!
This setup is using Lubuntu 17.04
What program are you wanting to replace?

It's a USB keyboard and mouse connected via a KVM switch. I have done that as I managed to get into the BIOS once the HDD was removed.

The program which is only for Windows is a Weather Forecasting program  which builds weather forecasts for my local area using data from my Weather Station as well as freely available weather statistics. It is called WXSim and as far as I know it is unique. Believe me I've looked long and hard for something as good bu there is nothing.

Stuart