Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Error Seconds per Day  (Read 15933 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Error Seconds per Day
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »

I assume that you agree then.

Yes I do

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »

I'm glad that's settled . . .  :hug:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 05:58:54 PM »

Just a further update from my original post and further to suggestions from various members:

I now have my old Mk.1 "B" RPi running merrily on DSLStats harvesting HG612 stat's. to MDWS, RPi on latest Raspbian Jessie, running headless with TightVNC / VNC Server from my Windows 8.1 desktop PC..
Had issues with getting TightVNC running after a re-boot of the RPi, eventually sorted by inserting the re-start command in /home/pi/.config/lxsessions/LXDE-pi existing autostart file, would not work for me in the /home/pi/.config folder within a new file as suggested by most web sites.

My old RPi struggled a bit at times with CPU usage, peaks just after data sampling, I have optimised the memory split to 128Mb. for GPU (default is 64Mb.) found this quite strange, would have thought that decreasing GPU allocation would have helped the CPU to recover, however, having tried step changes in both directions from the default 64Mb. can state that 128Mb. GPU allocation appears to be the best compromise.

I had purchased a RPi 3 for DSLStats/MDWS service, this obviously runs the set up with less trouble, however, as the old RPi seems to be doing the business I am currently keeping the RPi 3 in reserve for future projects, the old RPi is not really fit for present day, more demanding applications anyway, good to be able to finally but the old Pi into service.

I note there have been a lot of issues reported regarding getting DSLStats to auto-start on boot up, especially when running headless via VNC connection, this does not really bother me, I am quite content to manually start DSLStats and accept that the monitor won't run after a power outage unless re-started manually.

I find the MDWS on line facility fantastic, congratulations to the creator/custodian for the facility, and indeed to the creator/custodian of DSLStats for the provision of this excellent monitor.

Many thanks to all who offered suggestions and help, much appreciated.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »

Just had a wee peek at your downstream ES rate for 7 days it's staying in the amber zone and only reaching 481 ES in 24 hours yesterday on fastpath your well away from getting near the red zone of 2880 ES on the DLM Speed profile.

You also appear to be on a Huawei FTTC cabinet without G.INP this part can take upto 2 months if it's needed.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »

Hi, Many thanks for the response and interest.

I have been messing about over the last few days with the monitor, jumping backwards and forwards between the old and new RPi's giving gaps in the data uploads, should be stable now and the stat's. should be more meaningful without any data upload gaps.

Yes, I am definately on a Huawei FTTC cabinet, I was wondering about G.INP, I am situated in Northern Ireland, perhaps BT are a bit behind over here with G.INP roll out even on Huawei cabinets ?
I am a very recent convert to fibre, on ADSL2+ I always considered my line to be very good and noise free, however, by comparison to most of the other MDWS users stat's. my DS, ES's / day do seem higher than most but still well clear of the "red" zone as you say.
I did connect initially on fast path at the ADSL/VDSL conversion date then went to DS interleaving as few days later.
After approx. 4 days, DLM re-synch'ed and put DS back to fast path where it's been ever since.

I 'am not totally clear as to the criteria for application of G.INP, if it is active on my cabinet should it now be applied to my line under it's current circumstances ?
I was inclined to believe (likely in ignorance) that G.INP, when available, was only applied if required ?

Isn't MDWS fantastic, in combination with DSLStats an absolute font of information.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 03:49:07 PM »

G.INP will be active on your FTTC cabinet and it's available here in Northern Ireland I can vouch for that as my line really needs it, from what I can see new FTTC installs like yours can take 7-8 weeks for G.INP to be applied to your circuit/line

looking at MDWS all or most users using this Huawei FTTC cabinet have G.INP enabled so I am still in the believe it will use it even if not required.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »

Well NS you have been proved correct, I had a DLM re-synch @ 06:15 this morning and G.Inp has finally been applied to my line, you did predict up to 8 weeks on a new installation, yesterday was 7 weeks since ADSL to VDSL converson day.

For the record, my line was not struggling prior to the DLM re-synch this morning, I was running just at the bottom range of ILQ amber yesterday and at the top of ILQ green for quite a few days previous with respect to DS ES rate it looks like the DLM re-synch was instigated for the express purpose of G.Inp application.

The before & after stat's can be observed on MDWS, ID tiffy.

Over the few weeks I have been on fibre and posted questions relating to G.Inp application criteria I have observed  that there are a lot of very well informed members of this forum, PN and TBB forums that are of the opinion that G.Inp is only applied to a line when/if deemed necessary by DLM, my experience and indeed the kitz Q&A tutorial with BT, http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/ginp-retransmission.htm would seem to contradict this belief.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2017, 12:11:15 PM »

Did you notice the sudden drop of Errored Seconds being plotted in MDWS that still amazes me and you got a increase of sync you should see the DLM status indicator Downstream turn all green tomorrow.

Why new FTTC installs take this long to apply G.INP onto a line I've no idea 7-8 weeks is quite a long time ah well someone must have decided this is the best way  :-\

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 12:38:29 PM »

strange why it was so long - one of our family members had brand new line and FTTC service. G.INP was enabled 10 days after the new service went live. I monitored it from activation on day 1.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »

There seems to be no set time for G.Inp to be applied, on my line on two occasions it has been activated after about 2 days, firstly after starting my FTTC service and again 2 days after having a DLM reset which removed it.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »

Do you have the exact date that your line went live?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »

Do you have the exact date that your line went live?

ADSL2+ to VDSL2 conversion took place on Wed. 7th. June @ approx. 09:15 hrs., previous long term ADSL line with PN, still with PN, VDSL had been available for a long time in my area but did not have the requirement for fibre speeds.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 02:18:02 PM »

Did you notice the sudden drop of Errored Seconds being plotted in MDWS that still amazes me and you got a increase of sync you should see the DLM status indicator Downstream turn all green tomorrow.

Why new FTTC installs take this long to apply G.INP onto a line I've no idea 7-8 weeks is quite a long time ah well someone must have decided this is the best way  :-\

Yes, the difference is quite dramatic already as I had expected having observed other MDWS users stat's with G.Inp applied to their lines.
I did have quite a substantial increase in my DS synch speed as well, that's a bonus.
With the RPi 24 hour monitoring now in place and by virtue of the excellent MDWS facility the before & after G.Inp changes should be visable to all interested parties.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »

Hopefully I have G.INP applied on or around August 1st then.
My line has been live since Feb 3rd, but DLM only started monitoring the line on June 12th (my order was not completed by OpenReach till then).
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 03:40:24 PM »

My line went live on the 29th June so hopefully I should have G.INP around the 17th August then! :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5