Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Error Seconds per Day  (Read 15929 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Error Seconds per Day
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »

Having diligently read through the excellent kitz guide to the BT DLM system (many times) I am still confused regarding the concept of "error sec's. per day" with respect to inputing data to the the line quality calculator in order to establish ILQ (Indicative Line Quality)

Kitz DLM guide states that only ES's & SES's are taken into account so that simplifies things considerably.
I'am on the Plusnet vDSL2 40/2 package, only recently migrated from ADSL2+ with Plusnet.
I am using DSLStats V.5.9.5 (pre-release) on an unlocked Huawei HG612 modem to monitor line stat's., get a constantly updating figure of ES/hr. and the historic hourly graph.

From the "Average Error Rates by Day" page I can see the live ES/hr. figure and also see historic, previous day's figures, in my case I have never had any SES's recorded to date so don't have to worry about that.

So, am I correct in assuming I should take a historic ES/hr. figure X24 (assuming there have not been any re-synch's in that period) as the "total day ES" figure for application to the ILQ calculator ?

I have only been on FTTC for 10 days, the first few days was on the PN Hub One (same as BT HH5a) very limited stat's. available via the dedicated RouterStats utility then changing to an unlocked HG612 modem with my existing Netgear DGND3700v2 modem in order to run DSLStats with much more comprehensive monitoring capabilities.
I initially connected fast path then DS interleaving was applied after a few days, correctly I would say from line error records via DSLStats.

After 4 days of DS interleaving, DLM appeared to act and reverted to fast path, again totally predictable from the DSLStats error records.
I have a relatively good line and synch. at the top end of my IP profile, I would just like to be able to predict the ILQ state of my line and perhaps predict if DLM is likely to re-apply DS interleaving in the near future.

I have monitored this excellent site for many years, fantastic reference source, only just joined up, first post.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Error Seconds per Day
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »

Sign-up to MDWS > https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/mdws-rg.php
Have DslStats upload your data to MDWS
MDWS simplifies ES rates to per day/last 24 hour figures
Red traffic light = DLM will take action

ECI cabinet I assume? Interleaving shouldn't be a problem on Huawei cabinets.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »

j0hn,
Many thanks for the very quick response, much appreciated.

Yes, I an on an Huawei FTTC cabinet, one of the reasons I quickly scrapped the PN Hub One router in favour of the unlocked Huawei HG612 modem, I did get an improvement in DS synch. speed immediatly on changing and of course much better stat's. availability also.

I did notice references to MDWS but never really investigated or appreciated it's capabilities, that's certainly my next project, looks like it does all calculations associated ILQ monitoring and produces direct indications.

Is MDWS run as a complimentary addition to DSLStats or a separate program ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:36:33 PM »

MDWS is a separate system managed by Tony Bailey. DSLstats is simply one of the two monitoring programs which can upload data to the MDWS site, the other being HG612_Modem_Stats.
  Eric

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »

Thanks again to both.

MDWS registered, dues paid, DSLStats activated and data flowing, looks good, hours of fun anticipated !
The only slight reservation I have is the requirement to keep by desktop PC running with DSLStats active in order to provide the constant data uploads for most meaningful results.

Would still like to know what ES/day figure to use for a manual calculation of ILQ status ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 04:34:01 PM »

MDWS registered, dues paid, DSLStats activated and data flowing, looks good, hours of fun anticipated !
The only slight reservation I have is the requirement to keep by desktop PC running with DSLStats active in order to provide the constant data uploads for most meaningful results.

Some members use a Raspberry-Pi for continuous data collection, by DSLstats, and the uploading of the harvested data to MDWS. Such a system has very low energy consumption and would be quite unobtrusive.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »

Yes, I was aware that there has been a version of the program for Raspberry-Pi for quite a while, I did buy the older "B" model a few years ago to play around with but to be honest just never got the time, I think that has sufficient resources to run the application in question ?

I take it that the Raspberry-Pi would just look after the stat's. data transfer to MDWS with minimal display capabilities and DSLStats would still be used with Windows in my case for more detailed monitoring ?

Either way, sound like a good project for winter when it comes around again, many thanks for the information.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »

I use a pi3. Works a treat. The lan port connects to my modem for stats and the wifi connects to the router.  I did edit the network file to use static ips on both connections..

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »

. . . I did buy the older "B" model a few years ago to play around with but to be honest just never got the time, I think that has sufficient resources to run the application in question ?

Yes. I own one of the original Type B R-Pi and it certainly has sufficient resources to run DSLstats & upload the data to MDWS.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »

I'm using the older RPi B+ and it runs DSLstats which uploads to MDWS and can either look at MDWS on MS Windows or look at the stats coming from the RPI GUI via DSLstats from a different monitor it has it's own wifi keyboard & mouse and one Lan patch cable from RPI to the Modem/router.

When your in MDWS there is Traffic light status bar here is were check your ILQ status you just click on it of course having a full 24 Hours worth of stats is needed to get the big picture 24/7 is the way to go.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 08:08:29 PM »

When your in MDWS there is Traffic light status bar here is were check your ILQ status you just click on it of course having a full 24 Hours worth of stats is needed to get the big picture 24/7 is the way to go.

It's not the ILQ status as it says if you read the notes. This is just for the basic DLM status, ILQ I think has seven states rather than three. This also displays a rolling 24 hours for a better overview wheres the popup can be set to the current day that DLM uses and also historic views.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:10:58 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 08:13:11 PM »

Yes it does but we only consider GREEN AMBER and RED on MDWS

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »

Yes it does but we only consider GREEN AMBER and RED on MDWS

:'( Isn't that what I just said??
Tony
My Books!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 08:41:38 PM »

:'( Isn't that what I just said??
Don't worry about tbailey2 he come across as a grumpy old sod but he has a heart of gold  :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 08:43:52 PM »

I assume that you agree then.
Tony
My Books!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5