Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How long do I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?  (Read 3497 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
How long do I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:26:39 AM »

Some 26 days ago due to issues with some thunderstorms DLM acted to put me on interleaving. Still waiting for it to be removed despite my status being green since then. Could it be that it is not acting to remove or reduce interleaving because I am also banded?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

rpdmallett

Re: How long do I wait for DLM to remove interleaving?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 08:58:54 PM »

Some 26 days ago due to issues with some thunderstorms DLM acted to put me on interleaving. Still waiting for it to be removed despite my status being green since then. Could it be that it is not acting to remove or reduce interleaving because I am also banded?

Similar story here.  I'm in mid-Kent and since some thunderstorms last weekend I'm on a high interleaving value (160-ish) and my attainable rate has dropped by around 30% (but still at 6dB SNR).  (On an ECI cabinet.)

If you too had those more recent thunderstorms then maybe that'll delay things.

Hopefully will sort itself out after a few more days.  I've had something similar before and it took a week or two to 'fix' itself.

Richard

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »

What annoys me is that it should have ignored the problems due to the thunderstorms, the only reason I had bad stats was the thunderstorms. Now 3 weeks without being resolved is unacceptable.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »

Looking at your MDWS you have had a couple of odd error burst even with interleaving applied.  The errors were not that big but were big enough to stop a fast path return.   A really annoying feature of the DLM is that it is easier to get interleaved than to return to fast path.   I have had to use speed caps to get a reliable return to fast path  --- usually after 14-15 days.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 01:41:53 PM »

Looking at your MDWS you have had a couple of odd error burst even with interleaving applied.  The errors were not that big but were big enough to stop a fast path return.   A really annoying feature of the DLM is that it is easier to get interleaved than to return to fast path.   I have had to use speed caps to get a reliable return to fast path  --- usually after 14-15 days.

That was again thunderstorms which DLM should be aware of and ignore, we had one again last night which probably will not show on MDWS as DSLStats crashed on PC automatic restart following a power failure. I believe DLM is ignoring the effects of thunderstorms and it is a significant failure of the program and its algorithms.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 04:24:04 PM »

You may be right about about the DLM or your line may pick up a bit more from the lightning.  I would guess it won't recover until you get 14-15 days with ES less than about 24 per day.

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:01:52 PM »

we had a storm in Plymouth just over a couple of weeks ago. It lasted for around 1 hour with cloud to cloud flashes every few seconds - it was like being in the tropics.

My ES shot up to over 4000, and the following day DLM intervened and increased both interleave and delay. However after a couple of days, interleave was reduced. Clearly DLM is not looking at area wide events.........

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

I agree something seems to have changed, or DLM wide area event detection is not working 100%.

Storm on sunday, and interleaved today, but what is also odd is I did not breach the daily ES threshold.

Interleaving seems excessive as well, latency has doubled to the bbc. My line will easily recover assuming no more storms in the 2 weeks, 0 ES since the resync.

dslstats emailed me with the high ES/min as it should have done but sods law this happened when I was away for weekend so wasnt around to unplug modem.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:15:36 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »

No lightning Storms showing up in Leicester at 10am to 12:47pm yesterday unless the detectors failed to pick this up, use the historical maps and nothing showing for sunday at that time.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »

was a small storm, according to my sister's partner who was at home. How reliable do you consider that site?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »

Very accurate to about 75 meters of the lighting location on the map

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »

ok thanks

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »

I had a re-sync this morning around 04:18 which does not seem to have had significant effect on my interleaving (dropped by 4!). Strange time for DLM to intervene as it usually does this at around 07:00. The MDWS message suggests remote defect but there was nothing significantly wrong with my connection prior to the re-sync. We had no power problems as the router has not re-booted.

Stuart

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 08:20:11 AM »

The MDWS message suggests remote defect but there was nothing significantly wrong with my connection prior to the re-sync.
Stuart

MDWS isn't 'suggesting' anything. It is telling you what your modem actually reported as the reason for the resync.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 09:17:36 AM »

MDWS isn't 'suggesting' anything. It is telling you what your modem actually reported as the reason for the resync.

Yes I know, it was an unfortunate turn of phrase  ;)

Stuart