Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New profiles on ECI cabinets now live?  (Read 5659 times)

DMZ

New profiles on ECI cabinets now live?
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:27 AM »

Hi Kitz community,
I noticed not too long ago that I briefly lost connection to the internet and thought nothing of it...

...I'm surprised to see my downstream bandwidth increased from 71Mbps to 75Mbps. And my downstream being below the target of 6db. Odd this is as I was under the impression it was on for G.INP enabled Huawei cabinets.

Well I know for sure I'm on an ECI cabinet. I'm using TalkTalk's supplied HG633 which I know supports G.INP and the like but according to my HG633 no G.INP but I'm certainly on the new profile.

I'm still on fastpath and interleve depths are still 1/1. So far though so good. It's the best my line has been.

Stats from the HG633 router:

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Fast
DSL up-time:
0 days 0 hours 19 minutes 31 seconds

Anyone else on an ECI cabinet had this happen?

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: New profiles on ECI cabinets now live?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:30:02 AM »

From those stats, I don't think you can tell if G.INP is in use or not. ECI cabinets did G.INP with D=1 rather than D=Q like the Huawei cabinets do.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:55:56 AM »

the downstream snrm is below 6db, it suggests either a possible 5db snrm target or was something at the dslam that kicked of a few users and you resynced faster than a crosstalker.

It be interesting if you can get the dslam chipset version.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 03:16:21 PM »

ok your reply suggests an issue dslam side and that you simply resynced faster than a crosstalker. That issue may have been a temporary outage or maintenance work.

DLM resyncs are no slower than normal resyncs.

DMZ

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:36:39 PM »

I rebooted my router to see if it would make a difference it's still at 5db and still have my increased downstream bandwidth. I haven't had an issue with crosstalkers either.  As it's all speculation I'm more in the belief it wasn't random chance this happened.

I'd have thunk my upstream db would have been affected too but it shares all the characteristics of the new profiles introduced.

So whatever the case it's benefited me greatly.

Quick edit;
I must be stupid or my predictive text is to blame.

Please disregard that bad wording/sentence I used in that post. I deleted it.  ???

Come to think of it the downtime was quick, the YouTube playback error came up I then pressed Try Again and it resumed.

So a few seconds, I guess.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 06:14:40 PM by DMZ »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 06:37:23 PM »

Great news mate. What firmware is your cabinet on?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 07:23:20 PM »

whats your username on MDWS and please if you can check the dslam chipset version, thanks.

DMZ

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »

I'm using a HG633 router from TalkTalk which I don't think supports that. And unfortunately I don't know what chipset version it is.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »

Anyone else on an ECI cabinet had this happen?
yes, a dozen times. it was never a set DLM target though.

With the max downstream and actual sync shown, the SNRM reported by the Talktalk modem looks way off what I would expect for a fastpath line.

I'd be very surprised if OpenReach rolled out the lower SNR profiles to ECI cabinets before G.INP was rolled out.
There's 101 things that can cause the current SNR to drop to 5dB while still having a target of 6dB.

Do you have a HG635 lying around? or an old HG612 OpenReach modem? I'm sure the HG633 uses a Triductor chipset, which may behave very differently to the more familiar Broadcom chipsets.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:39:17 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

DMZ

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:08:18 PM »

I only have the HG633 and I'm aware about the chipset chosen for this router which was interesting looking at their site.

But this is the first time in over a year of service with TalkTalk this has happened to me. And is the best it's been since this has occurred.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 08:31:38 PM »

I had a resync on my works line last night, downstream SNRM synced at 5.1,  but my actual sync dropped slightly. There wasn't a power cut as I have a UPS and would of got a series of emails. My SNR has been a bit all over the place anyway, just odd how it appears to have synced at 5.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

DMZ

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »

Hi Ronski,
It's an odd situation for sure.

It honestly from what I've seen shares the same characteristics as people who are on the new profiles via the Huawei cabinets; Upstream 6db+ and downstream below 6db with some benefit or another.

My benefit; Better downstream than ever before and slightly less latency of 7ms instead of 10ms.

Speculation or not it's the same as the Huawei end users from what I've seen.

It's odd though as no G.INP implementation yet but my line  is performing absolutely well still.

DMZ

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 02:21:41 PM »

Just an update,
I rebooted the HG633 after I was a bit annoyed with my PS4 Pro downloading slowly and inconsistently.

As a side note;
Every time I'd do a speed test via my PS4 it would show my downoad speeds in the 30s-40s which I thought was just Sony being Sony.

The interesting part;

After the reboot I seen the speeds dropped to 71Mbps, still fastpath and the like so that was fine but now the SNR has now gone back to the normal 6db+ on the downstream.

Funny thing my PS4 Pro is now showing a consistent respectable mid 60s download speed and things are downloading better too. Whatever happened that night was almost like a placebo affect of sorts.

So...
I'll hold my hands up to the fact I feel like a fool assuming the wrong things and making myself out to be a smarty pants. I will hang my head in shame and sit in the corner.  :(

P.S.
It was just weird how similar it was to the profiles on Huawei.

Router stats;

DSL synchronization status:
Up
Connection status:
Showtime
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL2
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Channel type:
Fast
DSL up-time:
0 days 0 hours 22 minutes 8 seconds

Anymore news on the ECI G.INP trials?

From what I have read it was looking much, much better for us on ECI equipment.  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 04:02:52 AM »

Posting here as seems most suitable thread.

Had a couple of outages during the night, I assumed were the usual recent sky malarky, but the second outage was a modem resync and back at max sync speed (with banding at 74), so indicates possible work going on at cab.

I checked for any signs of changes to dslam configuration including chipset version (still 206) but can see nothing that stands out, just a weakening of my US snrm.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »

Hi

Same thing here, yesterday morning at 3:30am on am ECI cab my line was dropped and resync'd.

SNR margin on the upstream for me dropped from 11.6db to 10db, downstream was unchanged.  The change in my case was because power on the upstream was dropped from 6.3db to 4.4db, so not a case of more noise on the upstream, just a case or reduced upstream power. 

Perhaps some new profiles have been uploaded adjusting the power settings?

Edit: Just looked at your profile on MyDslWebStats and your power has taken the same shift downwards (6.6db to 4.8db).

Regards

Phil
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:23:51 AM by PhilipD »
Pages: [1] 2

anything