Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Brilliant B4RN and cretinous buffoons  (Read 5514 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Brilliant B4RN and cretinous buffoons
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 09:27:48 PM »

Indeed. NG-PON 2 can be delivered at 40Gb symmetrical per split, 10Gb/s to an individual ONT, there's a symmetrical 10Gb/s variant of EPON and this 100G/40G EPON variant here.

Incidentally WWW the primary concern for BT with regards to the higher speeds is ensuring that the prioritised rates are guaranteed, so depending on how many subscribers are connected to a split the 1Gb service is deployed over either GPON or XGPON. If only ECI equipment is available there's no XGPON so the 500Mb and 1Gb services may not be available at all.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »

I have observed the BT sympathising japery waxing lyrical for some time so perhaps it is now time to respond.

For those not acquainted, any discussion of PON designs on dual diverse point-to-point infrastructure is a spurious diversion. In blunt terms any such sympathisers who think B4RN are to festoon the moors, fells and dales with more complicated splitters had better think again. Who would be so stupid as to add an overhead fibre cable to a twisted pair one so when it’s blown down you need two teams possibly in MBORC conditions to mend the infrastructure eventually ?

If Symmetric PON were a practical solution why hasn’t BT implemented it ? All we can see are a minute number of partial asymmetric over-builds of the B4RN ever-expanding network entirely independent of old fashioned exchanges. Dolphinholme off the Forton Exchange, Tunstall off Kirkby Lonsdale, and a tiny part of Silverdale where the FTTC distances are too far as all the lines were EO until two FTTCs were placed just outside the exchange. Similarly at Ingleton where many are too far from the exchange with only PCP 1 at Westfield actually in a remote area. Forton is another splendid example where PCP 1 in Cockerham has helped a few achieve a slightly better asymmetric service but many others are left with sub 2 Mbps speeds on EO lines from Galgate. There might be a few other FTTH deployments but perhaps Black Sheep might be kind enough to add them for me.

B4RN is only a tiny minnow as Prof Barry Forde calls it; only approaching 4,000 subscribers but nobody objects when they have a symmetric 1,000 Mbps service for just £30.00 (inc VAT) per month. Perhaps that’s why there are some roads with 100% take-up ?

A more significant player is Gigaclear who, surprise surprise, have also opted for a dual diverse routed symmetric service design. That’s what allowed them react immediately to satisfy the urgent request from BBC Two’s Springwatch from The Sherborne Park Estate in Gloucestershire for a symmetric service:-

https://www.gigaclear.com/springwatch-gets-an-ultrafast-boost/

I am most impressed with the tenacity of the Openreach stalwarts but it is such a shame that the “Proud Guardians of the Nation’s local access network” seem to be floundering with quite unacceptable installation delays as evidenced by this Devon & Somerset resident:-

“So, finally, after nearly 4 months from order BT have managed to complete my FTTP installation. I can honestly say that a solid Internet connection it is a game changer, and 50/10 mbs is OK... for now. Tbh 10mbs is still a tad sluggish when uploading 2 - 3 GB videos to YouTube and backing up several 100's of GBs to the cloud!!! I can also say that BTs management are, as we all know, utterly shambolic. It's a wonder that they are capable of posting profits... I shan't be a customer for long! Roll on Gigaclear!!!”

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »

You seem to be answering a whole bunch of remarks no-one actually made.

Neither B4RN or Gigaclear are 'dual diverse point-to point infrastructure', I would recommend you read up on the B4RN network design. The diversity is between hubs/nodes, not to individual premises, and no-one actually suggested B4RN should use PON. Point-to-point is the optimal solution, PON is a perfectly acceptable solution with no bottlenecks for the foreseeable future. Who would be so stupid as to add an overhead fibre cable to a twisted pair one? That'd be every company in the world that deals with existing overhead plant.

Take up of FTTC here on a 625 premises passed cabinet, not a single street, is over 75%. So what? B4RN is cheap due to community involvement and take up is high in no small part due to that community involvement. Were it to have been deployed on a purely commercial basis, paying wayleaves and not being able to enlist people to build the network in return for shares it wouldn't be as cost effective. Comparing it to fully commercial enterprises for either cost or take up is silly.

Regarding the 'need for speed' Hyperoptic have 1Gb symmetrical services available. Less than 10% of subscribers to their services purchase it.

BT don't deploy symmetrical PON because they don't have to, for commercial reasons. It is a perfectly practical solution, there are tens of millions of premises passed by PON sold at symmetrical rates.

I have no idea what you were drinking that made you decide to post that but apart perhaps from the ultra-local stuff relating to B4RN deployment areas that I can't comment on the rest of it doesn't make a lot sense. Being realistic about BT isn't an insult to B4RN or anyone else, it's just stating facts. Sorry if you consider this 'BT sympathising japery waxing lyrical'.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 07:54:40 PM »

I am "calling time" on this thread. It was started as an item of news (note its location: "Announcements > News Articles") and for that purpose, it has done its job. I was hoping that there might have been a subsequent post from someone who could have provided us with some details about the co-incident attack on the BT Group's infrastructure at the same location.

The subsequent meander of this thread, into discussions on other infrastructure deployments, would have been appropriate elsewhere but not under the Announcements > News Articles" category.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything