Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone HHG2500 Router and my WiFi LAN  (Read 5716 times)

hwfa

• Just arrived
Vodafone HHG2500 Router and my WiFi LAN
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:10:53 PM »

First, apologies if this is in the wrong place. If it is, would someone please tell me where it should go.

I just moved to Vodafone ISP. I installed their HHG2500 router and can happily access the internet at the expected speed.

I have two Windows computers on my LAN. The Windows 10 desktop is connected to the router via Ethernet. The Windows 7 laptop connects via WiFi. Both can access the internet.

I also have a WD My Cloud 2TB NAS hard disk. It is connected to the router via a cable. The desktop computer  can happily access the files on the NAS device using a mapped network drive (Z: maps to \\wdmycloud\public). The laptop cannot even see the NAS device. I can't map a network drive or do anything useful with it.

I had exactly the same setup with my previous router (a Netgear DGN2200) and everything worked perfectly. Unfortunately, as many of you will know, Vodafone doesn't let you use 3rd. party routers so I can't go back to the old one. I have rebooted the laptop and the NAS device. I can't reboot the router under Vodafone's Ts & Cs while they configure my new fibre connection.

What am I missing, please?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:16:26 PM by hwfa »

Tuxornot

Re: Vodafone HHG2500 Router and my WiFi LAN
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »

I am not familiar with vodaphone kit so cant comment on the actual router.

It is possible that during the new connection between windows 7 and the router that windows 7 set up a new Internet connection and the file sharing setting is not enabled, I have had this a few times in the past.

If its not that then you could always hook up your old router to the vodaphone, leave its dhcp on and wifi off, turn off the dchp on your old router, bear in mind this suggestion is a rough idea and may need further advise from more knowledgeable member

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:01:38 PM »

Unfortunately, as many of you will know, Vodafone doesn't let you use 3rd. party routers
They do now

Chris T

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 08:45:06 PM »

What is the firmware version? The firmware is being rolled back to 5.4.8.1.271.1.59 at the moment as may help with compatibility.

hwfa

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »

What is the firmware version? The firmware is being rolled back to 5.4.8.1.271.1.59 at the moment as may help with compatibility.

The firmware version number you cite is exactly what I have: 5.4.8.1.271.1.59

hwfa

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »

<deleted>
It is possible that during the new connection between windows 7 and the router that windows 7 set up a new Internet connection and the file sharing setting is not enabled, I have had this a few times in the past.

<deleted>

Thanks for your thoughts. If there is a new connection, how do I set the file sharing appropriately?

hwfa

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »

They do now

Hmmm. Please explain how I find out my login credentials and the other parameters Vodafone require for me to configure my own router so that it connects properly to their host. I have searched high and low for this information but to no avail. Perhaps I just need new spectacles.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18911.msg348682.html#msg348682

WAN 802.1q: Enable
VLAN ID:      101
WAN 802.1p: Enable
Value:           2

hwfa

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,18911.msg348682.html#msg348682

WAN 802.1q: Enable
VLAN ID:      101
WAN 802.1p: Enable
Value:           2

Thank you. I shall give this a try once my 10-30 day "initiation" period is over.

Tuxornot

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 02:05:04 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts. If there is a new connection, how do I set the file sharing appropriately?

Pictures often say more than words  ;)

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/185237-network-discovery-turn-off-windows-7-a.html

Just make sure that the network is HOME and not PUBLIC when its set during the new connection, I have had to change it more than once, easy enough to do though.

MrWhite

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 02:58:15 PM »

This is a known (if not really recognised by VF) as an issue with the firmware and has been an issue since at least September last year.  The router seems to get in a muddle routing WLAN and LAN traffic!

Apparently VF are now giving out usernames and passwords if you want to use your own kit.  As a temp workaround, you can alway connect your old Netgear router to the VF router and use the Netgear for the wifi (turning off DHCP and changing the IP address).  I've done similar ro get around this issue.

4uture

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:52:46 PM »

Yes, this was one of several reasons I opted to dump the Vodafone router, using the technique in the other thread, although now it seems possible to get your authentication details from Vodafone support.

Eddie53

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 05:22:12 PM »

You can now get your username and password from Vodafone you might have to say you have an Openreach approved router I had to use @broadband.vodafone.co.uk after my username after I spent hours trying to figure out why I could not connect...

hwfa

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »

Problem solved. For some reason I had to set the firewall on the laptop *explicitly* to allow the entire range (x.y.z.0-255) of IP addresses on my LAN. This had been completely unnecessary with my previous router. I discovered it when a networking guru friend asked if I was running a firewall and, if so, what happened if I temporarily disabled it. Of course the NAS drive showed up immediately. Even stranger, the firewall log showed nothing relating to the IP address of the NAS drive (which is why I hadn't suspected the firewall myself). I'd have thought the log would show a "blocked" event for each attempt I made to access the drive. Oh well. All's well that ends well. Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.