Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Amazon Fire Stick.  (Read 4158 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Amazon Fire Stick.
« on: June 02, 2017, 02:07:16 AM »

Mrs Tickmike was given a Amazon Fire Stick (used) weeks ago, so finding it in a plastic bag, I had a play with it and rigged it up on our Main TV and was surprised it worked on our slow ADSL2 internet . ;D
I watched 'Springwatch' (BBC2) on the iplayer I downloaded and it was a good picture.
I downloaded lots of repeat TV players etc.

Anyone with any tips for using it please.

I will not be buying any films ! only free or repeat TV  :(

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: Amazon Fire Stick.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »

Mrs tickmike now wanted to watch football any ideas .
I have 'down-loader' and 'Kodi' installed !.
Also updated the Android operating system to the latest.
Pm me if you want  ;).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »

Download 'Cartoon HD' and 'Showtime' apps for the free movies. Don't be thrown by the 'Cartoon' bit in the title.

For 'full access' to all other channels (and I do mean all), you would need to subscribe to an IPTV provider such as 'Bulky'.  ;) :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »

Thanks for that, do you mean install the app on the fire stick via down-loader or on  kodi or ?, this is all new to me.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »

I'm a total novice myself tickmike. Also, I don't possess the Firestick but an Android box ..... from all accounts the Firesticks aren't as good as the boxes, but I personally haven't had both to draw comparison.

All I know is within the Android box there is an 'Install apps' function to use for obvious reasons. Is there not a similar function on the Firestick ??

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:53:25 AM »

PS ...... I am a buffoon ......... it is 'Show Box' not 'Show Time'.  ::)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »

You will still have an install apps option on the fire stick,  functionality wise its pretty much the same as the box, think of the box as being better connected and more powerful,  wirh more storage.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 01:21:34 AM »

The Amazon Fire Stick works very well on the TV but I wondered if it would work if I plugged it in to my PCLinuxOS KDE laptop HDMI socket and added it's USB power.

Nothing that's what happened  :-\

Should it work ?.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 06:14:00 AM »

No, your laptop hdmi socket is an output socket to send a signal to a display. The firestick is also trying to send a signal, so will only work on an input socket.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 10:59:42 AM »

Good point  :-[

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:34:46 PM »

Just a warning, I though it would be a good idea instead of using the provided mains to 5v USB adapter for the fire stick I would use the USB socket on the TV and leave it plugged in .
Not such a good idea as we had the picture breaking up a lot (we are on the fringe of the TV reception area and do get this from time to time !)  but it has been continuous so I un-plugged the USB and the picture was fine again on the TV channels.       
Now I am going to use the provided mains to 5v USB adapter  :blush:

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 10:18:24 AM »

Thats a bit odd, you'd expect it to work fine,  but perhaps the socket can't quite supply enough power and that affects the tuner.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 02:58:41 PM »

Yes that what I thought .
I should think it is pulling down the 5v supply.

anything