Computer Software > Security

Scam virus cold call - with a twist.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Ronski:
That was a good twist and certainly had us laughing here when the second line support guy came on to you - literally! Last time I had a call like this at work they ended up calling me a mother F*****, I only wished I'd recorded the call.

The said truth is that even if he has saved up 6k to get to the UK the people smugglers will have that and he may eventually get here with nothing and still lead a miserable life probably still involving crime and being taken advantage of.

sevenlayermuddle:
Certamly, the scammers seem to be quite versatile and willing to switch tact.

Not many weeks ago, I got a computer virus scam call.  I led him along a bit until he reallised he was on a hiding to nothing, he swore a bit and hung up, all quite normal.

Later that morning I got one of the other common scams, claiming to be from Telephone Preference Service, "I understand you may be getting a lot of unwanted calls?".   I've had that one many times before too, mothing remarkable in itself.

But the interesting thing was both of above came fron the same number, a valid Indian international code iirc.   I'm guessing the first caller, having failed in the virus scam but recognised that I was miffed, passes it to the guy at the next desk, who moves in to take advantage with the alternative scam.

c6em:
Can I suggest that instead of winding them up you simply put the phone down?

If I was in their position and if I had my time wasted by someone trying to be clever I'd ensure that your number was put on a scammers numpty list to be endlessly rung as retaliation.
Ever wonder why I get next to none of these calls, perhaps 1 every 6 months......

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: c6em on May 30, 2017, 12:50:00 PM ---Can I suggest that instead of winding them up you simply put the phone down?

If I was in their position and if I had my time wasted by someone trying to be clever I'd ensure that your number was put on a scammers numpty list to be endlessly rung as retaliation.
Ever wonder why I get next to none of these calls, perhaps 1 every 6 months......

--- End quote ---

And more than one scammer has threatened me with just that, adding me to a list, along with all the other daft threats, like 'disconnecting my internet'.

Thing is  though, although the guys making the calls are probably paid very little, there is most likely a highly profitable criminal mastermind in the background raking in the real profits.   The more people that waste the caller's time, the less cost-effective the whole criminal business becomes, simply by cutting down the number of calls they can make.

I do of course sometimes choose to just not answer, or to hang up, if I am in a hurry.   But if I'm in the mood, and can spare the time I actally quite enjoy leading them on.  Cheers me up, especially when they get angry and start swearing. :blush:

Ronski:
I've only had one call that I can remember,  and that was some months ago,  I think we did get one other call from the same number,  but since I added it to the company wide phone book as scammers no body answered it.

I also enjoy winding them up and wasting their time,  which is probably one less person conned than if I'd just hung up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version