Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with Network Wide VPN via VPN in router  (Read 6489 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Help with Network Wide VPN via VPN in router
« on: May 28, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »

Hi everyone

A friend of mine wants to install a network wide VPN, as I have no experience with VPN routers I said I would ask on here for him,

what does he need to do/buy etc.

he wants it so its on his router so any device that connects in the house is encrypted and private, Ive told him that it might affect his speed throughput somewhat, but suppose that depends on the service and where it is, as to how much its going to affect it.

thanks guys
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:05:02 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Help with Network Wide VPN via VPN in router
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »

Hi snadge

I'm sorry, your post is ambiguous

Where is the vpn going to terminate to and how is this end vpn going to encrypt out to internet (your encryption from home would be vpn to vpn termination only) - you would still be traceable

In terms of what you buy, most routers provide vpn so it depends upon your budget and exactly what you want to do

Please remember your/each device itself could connect vpn

Yes, there would be latency added by the vpn, so if thinking gaming I would suggest not to use vpn

Many thanks

John

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »

Lots of people become aware of internet privacy or lack of it and hear that a vpn is the solution. It generally isn't.

Your traffic still emerges somewhere. Do you trust your isp to to keep that traffic private or do you trust some random vpn provider who can see all of your traffic?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 02:53:51 AM »

Andy's point is valid, I deliberately avoid commercial vpn companies as they likely are to attract attention from authorities.  Instead I lease a vps, server whatever and setup my own vpn. some random vps wont get the same kind of attention.  Also I can be sure both ends are configured for my own needs, and no logging etc.

Anyway to help with the OP, what kind of router does your friend have? I think its hard to answer here because every router brand is different in the sort of options they expose, and how to setup is also dependent on the vpn server used, commercial providers tend to have documentation on their sites to help setup the vpn.

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »

The ASUS routers support OpenVPN (AFAIK the fancier Netgear NightHawk ones do too). You would just need to select an OpenVPN supplier, or maybe a seedbox where OpenVPN is thrown in for free...

ASUS info: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008713
Netgear info: https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-client
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:20:02 AM by underzone »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 11:44:51 AM »

hi guys

he said he was going to buy one with VPN support...thats all i know, im assuming you setup a VPN companies details in there and it routes all your traffic through their servers encrypted so all your ISP knows is your connected to some server in another country but its encrypted.

Ive advised twice to steer away from this idea and just use a VPN service in browser or device that he wants to use it on, this would be much better, but he wants it network wide

VPS n VPN is 100% best way but will be expensive (VPS) and very difficult for him to set up
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:53:10 AM by snadge »

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »

The ASUS routers support OpenVPN (AFAIK the fancier Netgear NightHawk ones do too). You would just need to select an OpenVPN supplier, or maybe a seedbox where OpenVPN is thrown in for free...

ASUS info: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1008713
Netgear info: https://kb.netgear.com/23854/How-do-I-use-the-VPN-service-on-my-Nighthawk-router-with-my-Windows-client

thanks for your advice...same goes for everyone else...

he is just going to use an Encrypted VPN service on PC only as I explained (even before this post) that network wide VPN will affect his connection somewhat...especially for gaming... and I told him (again, before I posted) that he would need a certain type of router and a service to hook it up too by entering the services settings in the router....but he was still adamant..so posted here

but its interesting to learn about these things anyway

P.S. in reply to Andy's post - I was under the impression that when using a VPN service your connection is encrypted through to their servers...so all your ISP knows is your connected to some server in some country but cant see what your doing as its encrypted? the VPN uses one of their servers to pull your traffic so your ISP cant track them?

think with VPN its "do you trust them to do it right and 100% sure they keep no logs" - ive seen people say VPNs have given them up to Anti-Piracy services on other forums
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:06:50 PM by snadge »

Iwenki

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »

I have setup PureVPN on my own on my router with the help of their support pages and customer support. You can refer to these links for setting up VPN on a router.

https://www.purevpn.com/router-vpn.php

https://support.purevpn.com/router-manual-setup-guide

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »

I have setup PureVPN on my own on my router with the help of their support pages and customer support.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a VPN requires two end-points.  :-\

So in your case, one end-point is your modem/router. Where is the other end-point located?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »

The Pure VPN service is one endpoint the other is his router, so all traffic from his home network to Pure VPN is encrypted.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 04:09:35 PM »

The Pure VPN service is one endpoint the other is his router, so all traffic from his home network to Pure VPN is encrypted.

All over the place https://support.purevpn.com/vpn-servers

Thank you both.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »

What happens after that to the end web address ? is that encrypted ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »

Most websites are moving towards using https

andyfitter

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 09:02:29 PM »

in reply to Andy's post - I was under the impression that when using a VPN service your connection is encrypted through to their servers...so all your ISP knows is your connected to some server in some country but cant see what your doing as its encrypted? the VPN uses one of their servers to pull your traffic so your ISP cant track them?

The point I was trying to make was that at some point your traffic inevitably emerges somewhere. Without a VPN your ISP can see and inspect everything you do. With a VPN from a 'provider', your ISP can't see anything at all, but your provider potentially can see everything.

Depending upon how paranoid you are, or how cynical, or whatever you're you're trying to hide.... A VPN of this form won't give you privacy. VPN providers have been forced to give up traffic records to legal bodies many times.