Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is this what 3db Margin looks like?  (Read 2241 times)

AngryMonkey

Is this what 3db Margin looks like?
« on: May 30, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »

Hi,
According to mydslwebstats (https://www.mydslwebstats.co.uk/Container.htm username AngryMonky) it looks like my line has gone from 6db to 3db SNRM on April 1st. Image here: http://www.imageupload.co.uk/image/BOOU

It looks like the following MDWS stats changed as well:
G-B0 INP REIN (from 0 to 1)
G-B0 Rx Queue (from 30 to 100)
G-B0 Loop Back (from 14ish to 25ish)
B0 Interleaving (from 8 to 4)
B0 FEC (from around 0 to around 20000)

Questions:

1. Is the introduction of a 3db margin the likely cause?
2. Before this happened I got a solid 35mbps 24/7, even in the evenings. Since this happened my sync has gone up from 35ish to 43ish, but now my actual throughput drops to around 10mbps in the evenings (line still shows 43mb sync rate but the real throughput drops). Could that be a result of increased errors/retransmissions due to the lower SNRM?
3. Is there any way I can go back to a 6db margin, as whilst the line was a bit slower I was perfectly happy and it was rock solid stable.

Thanks,
Jeremy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:34:27 PM by AngryMonkey »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Is this what 3db Margin looks like?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »

You could manually cap the DS sync to 35000 kbps by using --maxdatarate on the billion that should  give you an SNRM of 6.0dB or so and then see how you line performs.

AngryMonkey

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:13:37 PM »

Thanks Newtron, tried your idea (adsl configure --maxDataRate 35000 8000 50000) - it set the rate to 35000, which popped the SNR back up to 5.5, so great plan - however it didn't seem to make any different to the download speed.

It seems that from about 9pm (and its quite specific every evening), the speed is caped at around 8mbps. Pings go crazy as well - downloading at even 8mbps makes the pings go up to 700 (normally in the day I can download at a full 40mbps and the ping only goes up to about 50).

Must be BT doing some kind of capping, or congestion, or something.... if it was just general congestion i'd expect the performance to degrade gradually, but this just plummets every night.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 11:30:23 PM »

Definitely looks from what your saying is showing up as evening congestion during a thoughput speed test it's something I have never come across on FTTC in my 5 years with any ISP.

So my knowledge of FTTC starts at the Exchange and ends at your fibre cabinet and then goes to PCP cabinet this then goes to ones house/premises via copper wire/pairs.

So the issue your witnessing must be at your FTTC exchange OpenReach network side with backhaul problems to the core network

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:36:01 PM by NewtronStar »

anything