Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Swiss beat UK's BT to next-gen G.fast broadband  (Read 6319 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Swiss beat UK's BT to next-gen G.fast broadband
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »

Lol... all I can see is lots of £££££ signs being that far out.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:55:58 PM »

. . . it has FTTPoD available. :silly: totally useless, who can afford it. :sob:

psychopomp1 is one kitizen whose name comes to mind!  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »

Yet more G Fast cabinets are appearing in Bath, noticed Cab 32 (BA2 6EP) bottom of Bathwick Hill been done, spotted a few others been done this week,still hoping they do my cab, but they have finally gave cab 30 other end of my village it's fibre twin this week, some 6 years after cab 39 other end of village was enabled.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 11:35:42 AM »

Until BT put fibre deeper into the network, G.Fast is pointless for a large percentage of the population.

Take my cabinet. There are about 10 people who can benefit from G.Fast. They won't take it because most of them are elderly and don't know what it is.

The rest of the properties (probably over 100) are over 500m away and so won't benefit.

It's such a backwards system to continue to make those closer have faster speeds. My logic is that if you could make those further away have faster speeds, they'd be far more likely to take the upgrade!

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »

Until BT put fibre deeper into the network, G.Fast is pointless for a large percentage of the population.

Take my cabinet. There are about 10 people who can benefit from G.Fast. They won't take it because most of them are elderly and don't know what it is.

The rest of the properties (probably over 100) are over 500m away and so won't benefit.

It's such a backwards system to continue to make those closer have faster speeds. My logic is that if you could make those further away have faster speeds, they'd be far more likely to take the upgrade!

Couldn't agree more.

And they could start by replacing aluminum cables first with fibre, got aluminum here, & it has caused no end of grief for me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:57:53 AM by KIAB »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

snip/

GFast is not the laxative they need, then? :wry:

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »

While I agree with the first part of your statement about fibre needing to go deeper into the network - and according to BT this will happen with G.Fast eventually - I disagree with the rest.

You will find that your cabinet isn't typical and that the majority of the UK population live much closer to their local cabinet. Population densities are also going to much higher in commercial viable locations (i.e. urban areas)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »

I would say 90% of my cabinet is within BT's g.fast supported distance, I am right at the edge of my cabinet radius and still under 400m.

This makes my cabinet a really bad business decision to deploy g.fast node's as most of the cabinet is supported on a cabinet pod deployment.

The next cabinet is across the road from me, I suspect BT are more likely to do network rearranging than deploy a node to get me within g.fast range.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »

While I agree with the first part of your statement about fibre needing to go deeper into the network - and according to BT this will happen with G.Fast eventually - I disagree with the rest.

You will find that your cabinet isn't typical and that the majority of the UK population live much closer to their local cabinet. Population densities are also going to much higher in commercial viable locations (i.e. urban areas)

In my part of Hampshire it's a very common occurrence. I have two cabinets serving my village, both basically outside the village. The second cabinet has a grand total of one property which would benefit from G.Fast. It's a pub so at least the drunkards can have decent Internet. The same is true for another village next to mine.

There are people crying out in my village for faster broadband (FTTC for a lot of them giving about 10Mbps) and many have said they would pay double for faster broadband if it was available. I really think BT is missing a trick here.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »

In my part of Hampshire it's a very common occurrence. I have two cabinets serving my village, both basically outside the village. The second cabinet has a grand total of one property which would benefit from G.Fast. It's a pub so at least the drunkards can have decent Internet. The same is true for another village next to mine.

There are people crying out in my village for faster broadband (FTTC for a lot of them giving about 10Mbps) and many have said they would pay double for faster broadband if it was available. I really think BT is missing a trick here.

Except they're not.

Even if the residents were paying double (which wouldn't be allowed by OFCOM), it would still cost a lot more than double the cabinet pods to roll out more fibre to either the homes or nodes for G.fast .

Considerably more outlay for the same return doesn't equal good business sense.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »

There surely has to be a point where profit stops being made just by covering those closest to the cabinet. There must be a point of diminishing return.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

There surely has to be a point where profit stops being made just by covering those closest to the cabinet. There must be a point of diminishing return.

For now, Openreach are focusing on  getting the best bang for their buck.

In time, fibre will be ran deeper, but for now, Openreach don't ned to spend the extra money running fibre further out, when they can already serve a large proportion with the existing infrastructure, plus a relatively inexpensive side pod.

BT want rid of exchanges by 2025(except head ends). Which means everyone will be on some sort of fibre based connection, be that VDSL/G.Fast or FTTP to utiilise VOIP by then.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 10:58:24 PM »

There will be, and thats when BT will invest.  But they wont spend if they dont need to, and right now they dont.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 11:05:34 PM »

As has been said, your area in Hampshire is not typical of the UK population - 80-90% of whom live in cities where the population density is much higher than the villages you describe.

This also means there are a lot more customers within range of those cabinets but also it will be more viable to install pods deeper in those areas on a purely commercial basis.

If you haven't it might be worth looking at the Codelook website to get an idea of how many more customers cabs in cities tend to serve vs those in rural areas.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything