Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Quick Howto: Accessing Bridge Mode Modem Management IP via Draytek router  (Read 4056 times)

jon_

Hi

I know a few people are using Draytek routers with something sat in front in bridge mode (another modem) - and a few of those have asked if it's possible to access the management IP of the modem from the internal network, without having to patch network cables from the 'dirty' side outside the router to the 'clean' internal side... Since I've moved house to somewhere 'rural' I am now running a pair of sharedband bonded modems in front of my Draytek (to give me a whopping 6M connection), here's the solution that I came up with...

Guide is based on a Draytek 2860, items may be in different locations for other models.

My network Topo:

Sharedband Modem 1 = 10.0.0.1
Sharedband Modem 2 = 10.0.0.2
Internal network = 192.168.0.0/24

Step 1. On the Draytek add a 'Wan IP Alias' under 'Internet Access', 'Wan 2', 'Details Page'. This should be in the same subnet as your external modems management addresses. In my case I used 10.0.0.3.

Step 2. Go to 'Load Balance / Route Policy'. Create a new entry:

Protocol = Any
Source IP = Any
Destination IP = Destination IP range = The management IP address of your *first* Modem (10.0.0.1).
Destination Port = Any

Send via If Criteria Matched:

Interface = Wan2 (or whichever ethernet interface your traffic is routed via)
Next field should let you select an IP address - pick the one that you defined as your 'Wan IP Alias' earlier.

Gateway = Specific Gateway. Choose the IP address of the management port of your modem (10.0.0.1).

Save the rule.

If you have more than one external modem, you need to repeat the process for each, creating a separate 'Load Balance / Route Policy' rule for each with the relevant management IPs. 

To explain what you have done and why:

You have added an additional IP address on the outside of your Draytek, which is on the same subnet as your external modem(s). You have then set up a static route in the Draytek to send any traffic going to these addresses directly to the modem, rather to the default gateway (the internet) where it would likely be dropped. This means you should be able to access the management (web) interface on the routers, and if they support SNMP / Router Stat collection then this should work as well.

Same principles would probably also apply on other brands of routers, but execution would be different...

Hope it helps someone!

Thanks

Jon

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Jon,

Great post, thank you.  I had no idea it was possible to access your modem through your router in this way and I may look at doing this myself, so much easier than plugging a laptop into a modem LAN port.  A couple of questions :

• Based on your setup above - what IP address do you type into your browser to access your modem after you have set this up, I am struggling a bit with this.
  • I don't really know what IP addresses my modems (Zyxel VMG8924) are using in bridge mode, i guess they have a default but not sure what it is - if it is on the same subnet as my network would I need to go in and reset them to something different?

My Policy routing screen looks like this, look about right? :

As an aside I am considering buying a Dual WAN router from Draytek, I am currently using a TP-Link TLR5120 and also live in boonies and have a Dual WAN setup to increase bandwidth.  Would love to know if you use the Draytek to load-balance and how does it perform generally?

Chunkers

jon_

No problem - glad it was helpful.

In terms of the addresses that I use to access the modems - 10.0.0.1 / 10.0.0.2. The management addresses need to be on a different subnet to the internal network for it to work. Normally there's a default printed on the box somewhere, often 192.168.0.1 or something similar...

In your screenshot below it doesn't look like there's a section to specify an IP address as a gateway - this is the important bit! In your setup below you can force the traffic to go to a specific interface (Wan1 / 2) but it will send it from the default IP (which is what your ISP will be assigning you in bridge mode) via the modem to the internet. If there is another page that lets you set up static routes you would need to define a static route for your modem management IP to go via the additional IP address you have put on the WAN port.

Before I had SharedBand activated (which is true bonding of the 2 connections into one virtual connection) I ran for a week or so with one modem on the Draytek WAN port and the built in Draytek DSL. I had load balancing setup between the two connections. In general it worked OK - web browsing etc was snappier, however some things like online banking got freaked out as they would see one session coming from 2 different addresses, and would often log you out.. Obviously things like iPlayer / Netflix etc only run as quickly as a single connection.

I'm with an ISP that supports bonding via SharedBand (Uno) - so now the two modems bind themselves together and present a single connection to the Draytek - so now downloads, iPlayer etc run close to the combines speeds of the two links - so although it costs me a bit extra it's a better solution all round :)

d2d4j

• Kitizen

Hi

I could be wrong as I do not know the zylex sorry

It looks likely that you could use the gateway of the router to access the modems, but you may need to change the login port to the modem

You could try the following

Set source IP as your PC IP

Set destination ip as modem IP

Set port

Do not set wan

Save and test

You could also leave the source IP and port blank, but set the destination as modern IP and port and save

Then in a browser, you goto modem IP address:port

This may then use the router gateway of your internal network and not gateway of dsl providers, and thereby access the modem login page

I could be wrong though, so apologise in advance

Many thanks

John

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Regarding the static route, I also have this in the WebUI, woukld this be where I would set up the static route?

Thanks for the advice, I may have a go at this once I have got my head around it all.

Chunks

jon_

Yep - you'd create a route there:

Destination = management IP of your modem
Mask = 255.255.255.255
Next Hop = management IP of your modem
Interface = whichever WAN port that modem is connected to

:)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger

Cool thanks  :thumbs:

TooUnCool

• Just arrived
Re: Quick Howto: Accessing Bridge Mode Modem Management IP via Draytek router
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:57:17 AM »

My apologies for reopening this thread, but I have a similar issue with a Draytek 2860 and a Zyxel LTE7410, so I thought it easier than starting a new thread.

I have followed the instructions from Jon at the beginning, but can't get it working. My setup is as follows:

Draytek (ADSL on WAN1) - LAN 192.168.1.254
Zyxel (LTE on WAN2 in bridge mode) - LAN 192.168.1.253, WAN 94.196.xxx.xxx

I changed the web port on the Zyxel to 81

I can only access the Zyxel in this configuration when I connect it directly to my laptop.

If I type the WAN2 IP address into a browser, the Draytek management interface appears, if I type it with :81 it hangs.

Can anyone shed any light on this and how I might get it working?