Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lightning this afternoon across the channel plays havoc with my error rate  (Read 2638 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

There are a whole load of lightning strikes across the channel this afternoon and this evening which are playing merry hell with my error rates. What's the betting that DLM sees the errors and NOT the lightning in France and decides my line needs interleaving as well as the seemingly permanent banding? We are 22 miles or so from France so their lightning will affect us here in East Kent.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Well I think I got away with it with just under 1200 ES in 24 hours. I was somewhat surprised to see how much lightning in France affected my error rates, often we can see these storms across the Channel however this time we neither heard nor saw anything so they must have been a little inland over there.

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I did have a look on the live lighting map around 9pm last night and there was nothing just across the channel,  the only lightening was much further away.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Ronski it was not during the evening but much earlier. Starting to get bad again now and there is lightning now across the Channel again, nothing our side.

stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I missed/forgot the bit where  you said this afternoon  :-[

Yes it does look rather rough over France at the moment,  hopefully it's not heading this way, although it does feel rather muggy and close at the moment.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

It currently looks pretty bad over there but I dont think it's coming our way, suppose with this level of heat and humidity anything is possible.

Stuart

PS. Just looked at my errors and over 1500 ES already so I just hope DLM realises why! However I dont think it will....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:31:48 PM by broadstairs »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Not sure about modern DLMs but afaik the old BTW DLM, as described in patent papers, detected 'wide area events' (such as thunderstorms) based on the fact a lot of DLM managed lines in close proximity were affected at the same time.  In theory, a wide area event would cause DLM to be more tolerant of lines with high error rates during the event.   The location of the actual thunderstorm was not really relevant.

So unless you are the only person in England to be affected, DLM ought to be able to figure it out.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I'm a little more inland than Broadstairs, roughly a couple of miles and it doesn't seem to have affected my line, or the one at work in Sandwich.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

weather feels like july type weather, when I went to the health centre 2 days ago, I put on my jacket, initially didnt feel so bad when going to taxi, but after my appointment and i was waiting for a taxi home, the strength of the sun and the heat was unreal, luckily was a breeze so it didnt feel particularly muggy but definitely felt like summer came early.

Right now its half midnight and I am feeling quite hot in my t shirt, not sweating hot but not far below it either.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Well DLM did not figure it out so now I am interleaved after a DLM re-sync this morning. Stupid DLM  >:D My line has been running for ages with no real issues at all until the past 2 days with large storms only about 22 miles away in France. I do fail to see why I should be the only person seemingly affected by this, normally any storms with probably up to 40 miles away would be likely to have some effect. I simply fail to see why DLM has to see clusters of problems before deciding on a wide area problem when there is so much information available about where storms are which could be used to give the benefit of the doubt in circumstances like this.

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Is your line overhead? I suspect if so it would be more susceptible. Mines underground.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Is your line overhead? I suspect if so it would be more susceptible. Mines underground.

Yes but only the last 15 feet or so from the pole outside my front garden to the house and this is the main pole not a slave. I guess that is probably enough coupled with the fact that we are some 126 feet ASL and just under 400 yards from the beach due east.

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

That seems the most likely reason, I had an additional 200ES yesterday compared to previous days. Perhaps that 15 foot of cable just makes a good aerial for picking up long range lightening, although a lot of lines in your area are overhead, so you'd think they'd all be affected.

Your 22 miles to France is way out, straight line from the bottom of Dicken's Rd to Dunkirk is 44 miles, and what looks like the closest point around Calais is 33 miles. St Margaret's to France is 22 miles, the shortest section, which they use for cross channel swimming.  Google maps has a feature to measure straight line distance.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Yes I realise that about the distance although the shortest distance is around 31 miles measured in SSE direction. One thing I have wondered is whether the wind farm could have any bearing on what interference might be picked up from storms in France? Just a thought....

Stuart