Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NukeMap  (Read 6284 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
NukeMap
« on: April 29, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »

This Website will put things into prospective. when you think back to Hiroshima atomic bomb little boy and fat boy they were small now test out the big ones at 50 to 100 megatons scary times.

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:38:11 PM by NewtronStar »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: NukeMap
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 08:11:33 AM »

Yes very scary,  especially when you look at the size and depth of the crater, that's a lot of radioactive material thrown up into the air,  which will affect areas far bigger than the blast areas - potentially world wide.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »

nuclear tests before been banned I expect caused all sorts of pollution in the air.

Some were even detonated in the atmosphere for speculative reasons.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »

Wow how did I miss this?

Nukes actually got considerably smaller. They are far more accurate now, so no need for such massive overkill, and it's far more efficient to use multiple smaller ones than a far larger massive burst.

The UK's deterrent has warheads that max out at about 100 kt.

Detonation in the air reduces fallout massively. Air bursts where the fireball doesn't touch the ground don't suck up a load of dust and ash from the ground, irradiate it, and send it up into the upper atmosphere. The largest explosion ever, Tsar Bomba, was an air burst.

If you feel like scaring yourself, and for those of us older reminiscing over being minutes from nuclear holocaust, maybe watch Threads or if you prefer a more US-centric view The Day After

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 09:17:26 AM »

If you really want to scare yourself, actually visit Nagasaki in person. One of the most humbling days of my life.  :'(

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »

I can well imagine what Nagasaki must be like. One person survived both Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
See the book Mr Two Bomb.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »

If you really want to scare yourself, actually visit Nagasaki in person. One of the most humbling days of my life.  :'(
As a National Service conscript in 1956 I was based a few miles from Hiroshima, which I occasionally visited. You could see people bearing the scars and deformities arising from their bomb. Little or no malice from them AFAICR.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »

Hi Steve ............ the city itself is completely built back up, and IMO, quite un-inspirationally really. They obviously had a blank canvas in which to work with, but pretty much like the old East Berlin .... grey concrete is dominant everywhere.

That said, the people are phenomenal ...... genuinely nice and polite. We took a tram up to the Nagasaki museum and the 'Peace Garden' (Ground Zero), and there's no pulling their punches. The photo's are horrific, the simulation model intriguing showing the hypocentre devastation, followed by the subsequent blast spread ......... the people killed instantly were lucky, believe me.  :no:

Then there's a room you can go in and watch a 20min film showing the explosion and real footage of the aftermath. You come out of it all asking yourself some very big questions .... stuff that you may not have thought about previously. Very depressing.

So, after 6hrs we thought we'd try and bring ourselves out of it by enjoying a sushi meal at a place where the locals eat. Eugh !! Take it from me ..... the 'Westernised' version of sushi that you get in 'Marks & Sparks' is a world away from the proper stuff. Although we ate it all (more out of respect, as they kept milling around our table watching us and smiling at us), I won't touch the stuff again.

All in all .... the museum is an experience that touched us massively, still has. I suppose it's like witnessing Auschwitz first-hand, occupying the same space as those who went before, brings it home a million times more than what a picture does. 

anything