Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Home LAN Network  (Read 3166 times)

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
Home LAN Network
« on: April 28, 2008, 06:09:37 PM »

Hey again all,
                   I was wondering if it was possible to install a LAN Network throughout my home which connects to an Ethernet Switch / Hub or which ever one I need to share an upto 8Mbps ADSL Connection and also network a few PC's together to allow for gaming through a LAN Connection and Online Gaming on my PS3. I know its asking a bit much but I was just wandering if I could possibly do it myself and what equipment would I need to get this Semi Monumental task done.

And here is a list of all the equipment I have at the moment:

1, Ethernet Switch
4, Ethernet Connectors aka. The ones that look like phone lines
4, 20 Meter Ethernet Cables
1, Big bag of Wall Clips to hold the wires on the wall

Is that all I need ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Home LAN Network
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »

Do you use an ADSL router to connect to the internet? If so, it's straightforward. If the router is a 4-port type, then just plug the other computers into the other ethernet ports; if it's just a single port type, then connect the router ethernet port to the ethernet switch, and connect the other PCs to the switch. That's probably all you need to do to share the internet connection.

If you're using a USB modem to connect to the internet, then it's more difficult though not impossible. But the best advice I can give you is to get a router because they have many other advantages apart from internet sharing.
  Eric

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:30:52 PM »

Well it should be easy for me then I currently use a HomeHub although I'm looking to buy a Belkin N1 Router. But if its ok on the HomeHub theres no need for the Belkin. Thanks Roseway :) oh and if your wandering why I dont use Wi-Fi its because my walls are concrete so the signal reduces which will drop the Frame Rate of the game :P

MikeS

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »

Can recommend home plugs, saves a whole lot of cable routing - does cost a bit more, but you can use any room in the house that has a mains plug.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »

If your going via the cabling route then if your running the cables along a roof space/attic, the normal temptation is to run the cable along the floor of the attic, you'll have a lot of mains stuff here so if you can pin the cable higher up. It will means an extra 2-3 m per run, but this will leave you less vernerable to interference (running telephone or data cables for long runs near and parrallel to mains cabling could be a source of future problems).

If you can, think about possibly running the cable into a dedicated network socket
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=sockets&menu=2&WorldSearch=Y&doy=30m4&C=SO&U=strat15&ShowPics=undefined&MinPrice=0&MaxPrice=9999

You don't have to fit the sockets now as if you have flying leads with an ethernet plug at the end to go intoyour pc,you can always fit a socket on the same cable at a later date as persumably there will be enough slack to cut the cable to lenght and still reach th socket, it's easly done, same as fitting an extention socket for your telephones.

The advantage being it's tidyer, a flying lead is venerable to being damaged by passing traffic, furniture, vacum cleaners, etc. that way you only have a lead from the socket to pc which could be unplugged and if need be; replaced.

Also (I've never done it myself) I've heard fitting the plugs on the end of the cable isn't the easyest thing in the world to provide a reliable connection long term. (This is just hear-say I've picked up so I could be wrong on this point).

Pin the cable to the top of skirting boards (or if they have a moulded profile cables in part disapear within a scroll of a shaped skirting board. And go around door frames. if you need to go along the wall through the ceiling then if you can try to do this above a door frame so as little cable is visible along the wall.

Pre plan your route before running a cable, looking out for pipes cables,heaters, furniture to go behind.

Definately avoid running the cable along the floor and certainly dont go along the floor part of a doorway, this is a guaranteed fault in the future as foot traffic WILL ware the cable out in time, even under carpet tucked behind the carpet gripper which is a common cause of faults in it self, you'll be suppised how much carpets move, and this will eventualy pick the cable up and pull some of it on the tacks of the carpet gripper.

If going through cavity walls or through ceilings into a void above a short lenght of the springy net curtain support is a handy way of getting something through if the cable is reluctant to get through.

If you have an avalable route for the cable but it's tight or impossible to get in the gap see if a say electrician friend has a "Mouse" or other wise known as a "Foil mouse". Its a real of spring steel about 8mm wide which is stiff enough to push from one end to feed the other though a long run. Flipping the end causing a wave to travel along the foil will get the far end to go over a joist in the way even from 50m away. It's a great tool, I used mine the other day to reach 40m across a large room in the cable space in the ceiling, going over cables and around dips and all from one end so I only had to climb a ladder twice instead of doing this every 2-3 m.

J.Man

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:44 PM »

Well its been 2weeks and I believe it's all gone Live although whilst I was routing cables all over the place I think 1cable may have touched an electrical cable but im not sure if the ethernet cable would conduct electricity but just in case I didnt use the cable but apart from that I got those network faceplates and connected one in each room except kitchen, toilet, and bathroom for obvious reasons. I also managed to run a cable alongside the staircase avoiding the Phone wires to prevent extra attenuation on the line the cable anyhow runs from the switch in the attic to the Living room where im  planning on getting one of those Media servers. And Thanks you people who gave me tips.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »

Both electrical and ethernet cables should completely insulated so as long as neither cable moves repeatedly where they touch, thus wearing through the insulation, you shouldn't have any problem.

The only problem with data cables is long runs both close to an parallel with other cabling such as mains, close occasional proximity at an acute angle should'nt be a problem.

you might notice cat 3,5,6 cables feel a bit "knobbly" this is due to extra twists amounst the pairs in an attempt to cancel out nearby emf being picked up as often data cable run in close proximity to each other with similar digital signals hence the extra cost per meter for this sort of cable

anything