Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to terminate your Vodafone Broadband Contract early!  (Read 3830 times)

sigtexx

• Just arrived
How to terminate your Vodafone Broadband Contract early!
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »

Hi all,

Thought it best to share my discovery in a new thread to maximise the impact.

Recently I found that there's an issue with the Vodafone Connect (or Huawei HHG2500) with concurrent uploads/downloads. If you upload a big file to the internet (say, a video to Youtube), you'll notice that you won't be able to surf the internet at the same time (but your upload will still continue), and neither will any other device connected to the network at the same time. This is due to an issue with the firmware (version 1.6) in the HHG2500, which won't be resolved until November/December this year.

Being unhappy with the fact Vodafone won't let me use my own hardware, I called Vodafone Broadband customer service and told them this is unacceptable, and asked to either let me use my own equipment (ha!) or terminate my contract early, and if neither happen, I'll go to OFCOM about it.

They tried to roll the firmware back to v1.59, unsuccessfully, so agreed to let me terminate my contract early with no fees.

Good luck all, and happy net surfing with your own kit again when you get rid of that blasted VF Connect Modem Router! :D :D :D

Chris T

Re: How to terminate your Vodafone Broadband Contract early!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »

That's an odd one, I can't say I've noticed that happening anytime in the last 18 months or so that we have had VF. Although I do suspect some of their routers are of shall we say variable quality.   

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 12:27:57 AM »

Does not matter how you find away to terminate the VF contract with early termination waived as you will be better off in the long term without the HHG2500 it should not be supplied to customers as a CPE device it's full of bugs it's not stable on VDSL lines and someone should complain to OFCOM about this as you are letting them of the hook if you don't.

sigtexx

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 04:16:32 PM »

That's an odd one, I can't say I've noticed that happening anytime in the last 18 months or so that we have had VF. Although I do suspect some of their routers are of shall we say variable quality.

It's definitely an odd one, but for sure it's a known issue... If it was a one off they'd have just replaced the HHG2500, and they told me they're also meant to be releasing a firmware update to fix it in November/December. Have you tried uploading any particularly large files, and tested if it restricts any other devices on the network?

I had no problem with the service itself, and noone should really, as it's all maintained by Openreach... And like many others, my issue is with the hardware supplied and the fact they won't allow customers to use their own.

So now I'm back to BT. They're expensive, but I'm getting a slightly faster speed and I can use my own stuff :D

Chris T

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:57 PM »

I have uploaded large files in the past without issue, however I don’t think I have done so with what was until last night the latest firmware as they have rolled the router firmware back to the last version. Apparently VF will do this for all connect routers until the 15 year old lad that employ to do the firmware has finished his GCSE IT project…    ::)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »

is it the worst CPE in recent times?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »

is it the worst CPE in recent times?

In a word, yes!

Having said that, as a physical entity, it is well manufactured, does not offend the eye and has the look of a quality device. The PSU shipped with every one would be worth the £2-99 to £3-99 for which one can obtain a brand-new, sealed-in-box & never used unit via eBay.

If it would be possible to install reliable code onto the devices, they could prove to be a good investment. If the Vodafone logo, on the front, is disconcerting then borrowing some black nail varnish (from one's local Goth) and an application with a steady hand would be adequate solution.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:49:52 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 08:50:53 PM »

Said this before somewhere on these forums by joining Vodafone Connect it feels like you have accidentally entered into 18 months worth of HHG2500 modem Beta testing and some people enjoy this sort of thing as long as you change back to a working modem while the bugs are being ironed out.

Chris T

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »

It has to be said that the current iteration of the firmware is a vast improvement over the original shipped to us back in the beginning of September 2015. That was dogs breakfast of an interface split over router web page and the app on a smart device often requiring both to be open in order to do simple tasks.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 11:15:12 PM »

I can still remember back to the old days of TalkTalk were you could sign up and BETA test their new CPE modem/router and send feedback to help iron out the bugs before it was sent out to the TT general public.

it's so obvious that Vodafone connect are doing their Beta testing live and your paying for it monthly  :(