Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******  (Read 14415 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2017, 03:31:57 PM »

That photo looks like a master-type socket, and having more than one master socket connected to a line probably won't help.

What master socket do you have?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2017, 04:12:39 PM »

An LJU2/1A is a master socket.

To save any more faffing about, I think we ought to see the equivalent photographs for all sockets . . . and the innards of any junction boxes.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »

That's weird! It's what has been since before we moved in 2002. Lady used to be something like the vicar's secretary, and the tidiness made me think it was all proper. The "extension" has a BT Piper local too. I think her husband had been a failed DIY man.

Our feed is d.i.g and definitely comes in to house by front door that way. ATM I can't take a pic of the real master, but it is a split one much like the stock photo from Google. If you want the innards still, I'll  d/w asap.

In passing; why does having two master type sockets seem not a good idea?
Forward path? :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2017, 06:01:24 PM »

If you want the innards still, I'll  d/w asap.

When time permits, please. Both the rear of the lower front face-plate, if there are any wires are connected to the IDCs there situated, and also the rear of main body. 

In passing; why does having two master type sockets seem not a good idea?
Forward path? :-\

The circuit will have two resistive-capacitive shunts across it and potentially two over-voltage protection devices . . . But I regard it as a big indicator that there could be other non-standard wiring oddities about the circuit.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »

You mean unscrew the top half too, to see behind?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »

You mean unscrew the top half too, to see behind?

Yes please.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »

i managed to get some pics. I hope they are what's wanted. I must really encourage my fellow octogenarians to lie on the floor with screwdrivers supported by a coarse doormat. ;D

Connection has been allover place today with speed down to the 2-3000 kbps and snr shooting up to 15 for a while, and dropouts a plenty. 'suppose some my be due to my engineering skills. ::)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 10:29:03 PM »

Thank you for obtaining those photographs. They help but also disclose more unknowns!  :o

Looking at "mainsoc x.png" we can see that there is a connection to the IDCs on the lower front face-plate made using the "blue/white & white/blue" pair.

Looking at "mainsoc y.png" we can see that the NTE5/A is connected using the "orange and white" pair. Exactly as I would expect for either an aerial or underground service feed.

Looking ar "mainsoc z.png" we see that there appears to be three cables within the backing box. One cable contains the "orange & white" pair that feeds the NTE5/A. A second pair from that same cable appears to be "green & black"; the third pair appears to be "blue & brown". However we can also see a "red & grey" pair. To add to the confusion, there is clear evidence of more recent internal cabling present . . . CW1308 specification cable with three pairs: a "blue/white & white/blue", a "orange/white & white/orange" and a "green/white & white/green" pairs! The "blue/white & white/blue" pair is that connected to the lower front face-plate, shown in "mainsoc x.png" and noted above.

Going back to the photograph attached to Reply #44 which shows an LJU2/1A, a master socket, in use as an extension, we see it is connected using a "brown/white & white/brown" pair.  ???  I have absolutely no idea from whence that pair emanates.

It is all quite complex and confusing. But would be fun to "sort out" and fix. Unfortunately Hampshire is too far away, for this grumpy old kitteh's paws, and it is outside the trundling distance for "Walter's Wheelbarrow".  :-\

I am very hesitant to say any more . . . for remote diagnosis is fraught with mishaps. Certainly I have seen enough to say that there is something abnormal with the circuit's wiring within your home. Perhaps, when time permits, Black Sheep will offer his professional opinion as to what might be done.  :-\

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 07:30:02 AM »

The incoming feed is a standard 4 pair cable, often used for drop wires although BT seem to use cheaper single and twin pair cables these days.

By zooming in on the photograph attached to Reply #44 it appears that the socket contains lot of brown dust which is obscuring the wire colours, they all look a bit brown. It is difficult to confirm without some cleaning but I suspect the wires in use are the expected "blue/white & white/blue" pair. :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:19:27 AM by RealAleMadrid »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »

Sorry, that's down to me. The original  needed some adjustment, but I didn't notice the effect on one part of the pic. Here's a new one that has been dealt with selectively to give near to proper colour rendering.

Incidentally I found a site that might be of some interest to some

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »

The incoming feed is a standard 4 pair cable, often used for drop wires although BT seem to use cheaper single and twin pair cables these days.

I think you are getting confused. For a normal residential property, an aerial drop cable will either be two or one pair. (I.e. Four or two conductors.)  :-\  In this particular case, the service is via an underground feed.

By zooming in on the photograph attached to Reply #44 it appears that the socket contains lot of brown dust which is obscuring the wire colours, they all look a bit brown. It is difficult to confirm without some cleaning but I suspect the wires in use are the expected "blue/white & white/blue" pair. :)

Thank you for that helpful observation.  :)  As we have now subsequently seen, those "brown" wires are actually the "blue/white & white/blue" pair from a CW1308 specification cable.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »

Sorry, that's down to me. The original  needed some adjustment, but I didn't notice the effect on one part of the pic. Here's a new one that has been dealt with selectively to give near to proper colour rendering.

Thank you.

With sight of the correct colours we can fairly confidentially say that the LJU2/1A is fed from the pair connected to the IDCs on the lower front face-plate. That can be conclusively confirmed by removing the lower front face-plate from the NTE5/A and testing with a telephone plugged into the LJU2/1A . . . The telephone should not work.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2017, 04:55:16 PM »

I am not confused, I admit I wasn't sure if Renluop had an underground or aerial feed but I have a couple of lengths of external drop wire type CW1417 (CAD55M) which has 4 pairs and 3 steel tension wires (donated by a helpful BT man some years ago). As I said previously it may not be used much these days on residential installations :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2017, 06:54:21 PM »

Thank you.

With sight of the correct colours we can fairly confidentially say that the LJU2/1A is fed from the pair connected to the IDCs on the lower front face-plate. That can be conclusively confirmed by removing the lower front face-plate from the NTE5/A and testing with a telephone plugged into the LJU2/1A . . . The telephone should not work.
As conveniently soon I'll test your hypothesis, and let you know!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »

@B'cat
I've done your test. With bottom half of master removed, there's no phone on the extension.
I see in the link that I mentioned above are pics of the innards of both and

Were you Ren, would you risk a bit of surgery? :-\ :)

I thinking, what's he next step?  Get wiring and face plates modified? Thoughts. all?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything