Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******  (Read 14419 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 05:58:40 PM »

will do! Also posted to ISP Forum; now wait for response!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 06:45:20 PM »

As Eric recommended I have been running DSLStats 6.0.2 in the basic state, save that I added in error recording (for correspondence with ISP and of course my benefit). I have not suffered any floating point error at all.

For the ISP's fault reporting, I changed the Billion 8800NL for my reserve Tcolor 585n, which too has behaved well and stayed in sync @ 6795 kbps (Billion ~5400 kbps) with seemingly fewer errors. One oddment, probably not relevant is that the Billion reported interleaving 1/1, but the Tcolor 1/0.

I did spot some , could be, pretty regular dips in up SNRm and will look closer before posting more on here.
Edit: they must have been one-offs definitely an hour apart, 7.50 and 8.50, not seen since.

In meantime any thoughts as to what i posted are welcome.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:28:18 PM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 09:09:52 PM »

The 592N has held its own, but I had some trouble getting the wireless connection to printer; the fiddling/ accidental disconnects cost me 800 kbps. That was Wed evening, i think.

I think I could have found the culprit. I had been thinking how old and untidy the doorbell equipment was; whether it should be updated. i found the input wires inserted, but one came loose in my hand.

Today the down SNR is rock steady for 75% or more of its up time, and the up SNR has varied by 1.3 dB at the most.
Does it look to you, I'm on the right track?

Now I'm musing whether to reinstall the Billion, and when. :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 09:18:43 PM »

I think I could have found the culprit. I had been thinking how old and untidy the doorbell equipment was; whether it should be updated. i found the input wires inserted, but one came loose in my hand.

<snip>
Does it look to you, I'm on the right track?

Possibly. I am assuming the door-bell is powered through a mains-transformer? Which were the loose wires?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 08:58:40 AM »

From the mains; blue lead (blue brown wiring). It's a funny beast, as the previous owner had had to strip back the outer sheath, because there is no gap in the casing for cable. He was a DIY man, so the thought. I wonder if he found it, thinking this'll do.

Price label £9.99, and it's thought to be 15-20 y.o.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »

I wouldn't waste any more time on an old and suspect doorbell system. I suggest that you disconnect it and strip out the old wiring and hardware, and replace it with a battery operated wireless doorbell. These are delightfully easy to install (i.e. no wires) and have all sorts of useful features - multiple chime units, multiple bell pushes, different tones for front door and back door, etc.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »

Eric, I've already got the replacement, a wireless one with plugthough from Screwfix. The worst bit is going to be getting the old push off the PVCu ( or whatever) doorpost. Goodness knows how it was affixed!

Still pondering on change back to Billion and when!

As to bells 'n whistles there's no need, as we're linked detached. Backdoor is only reachable via gate on wrong side, or we get in through garage and utility room.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:11:01 PM by renluop »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 12:40:32 AM »

I changed back to the Billion on Wednesday evening, and after some personal memory trouble with passwords got sync of 6772 kbps with 6dB SNRm. Overnight and through yesterday until about 4.30 p.m, though the noise margin was more volatile and errors greater, it seemed, than the 582N.
Around 4.30 p.m the connection dropped and was restored @ 5427 kbps.  (The same sort of reduction , from memory happened with the 582N).As for some time I was away, I did not notice until late evening. From approximately 5.00 p.m. to just after 6 SNRm went beserk.
 In theory I can get more by tweaking the margin, as I had done before, but am now loath to. I am using Open DNS, if relevant.
Another oddity is that although the SNR graphs have kept the same format throughout, the Y axis of the Speed graph changed. I used to be 0 -10000 kbps, but since this evening 0 – 300000 kbps. Down is almost off screen and Up has been banished to the Underworld.
Further commenti if you wish, please. Is my router probably suspect?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 12:56:44 AM »

If that very suspect door-bell mains transformer is now out of the picture then I suspect there is still a problem with your circuit. I know, from what you have previously recounted, that it seems as if there are more joints than cable in your underground service feed. That could explain the "craziness" of the SNRM.

As for the change in scale of the Y-axis of the connection speed plot, I believe that there is a DSLstats option to allow it to auto-range. So if, for whatever reason, there was a large increase that would have gone "off scale" DSLstats has adjusted the display range.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2017, 07:05:35 AM »

The Conn Speed has never been above 8000, so I'd hardly expect the range to go up to 300000.
I'll see if ceasing a restarting DSLstats cures it.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 07:41:38 AM »

I suggest that you just try switching that graph to logarithmic scale and then back again. That may be all you need to get it scaling correctly.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »

I think I tried that last evening. This morning I acted a i considered in my post, and that did the trick. Why that wobbly is a mystery.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 11:08:20 AM »

Eric, I've already got the replacement, a wireless one with plugthough from Screwfix. The worst bit is going to be getting the old push off the PVCu ( or whatever) doorpost. Goodness knows how it was affixed!

Pull off the cover and you should find two screws holding it to the frame.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 12:32:22 PM »

Actually I think it was stuck on somehow, but son-i-l very more hands on than I dealt with it for this old man. What takes me an hour, for him it's 5 minutes.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 01:32:33 PM »

I had a look inside the extension, and it looks pretty neatly installed: Pic.
Wondering now, if I should replace (get replaced) the main and extension sockets with a filtered versions, using existing or new cable on basis it would ensure any house wiring defects would be excluded.

BTW over the weekend sync has held in @ 7043 on the 47 dB attenuation, and errors
Average error rates for 16 Jul 2017

CRC erors per hour:  8.39 Down,  5.44 Up
FEC erors per hour:  0 Down,  0 Up
HEC erors per hour:  17.9 Down,  2.72 Up
ES per hour:  9.98 Down,  4.76 Up
SES per hour:  2.50 Down,  0 Up

EditShould have not been so upbeat. Found it had come done to 5500 9.35 this morning.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:39:33 PM by renluop »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

anything