Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******  (Read 14535 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DSLStats abandoned while Win 7 Computer was a *******
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 06:05:27 PM »

I've done your test. With bottom half of master removed, there's no phone on the extension.

That is good to know. So we are now in a position to assume there is no great abnormality with your own internal wiring.

What I would do, if I was assisting someone with circuit wiring like your own, would be to look in my "what-not" for either a LJU2/3A (a secondary socket) or another LJU2/1A (a master socket).

Depending upon what I had available I would either replace the existing LJU2/1A with the LJU2/3A or, with appropriate sized side-cutters, snip the two connections for each of the capacitor, the resistor and the over-voltage protection device of the existing LJU2/1A.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:21:50 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2017, 05:14:20 PM »

I'll have to think about that, with my two left feet on  the right hand aptitude. For a start I don't know what side cutters are. Is it foolish to get someone in to put filtered face plates in, and run new cable (cat 5e) from master to extension on the chance it may improve things? Cost, but not BT? Within reason I can afford it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »

At the moment, my understanding is that you have the modem/router situated near the extension socket and use a microfilter to make the connection. Do you have anything connected at the NTE5 (the master socket)? If yes, is that other device also connected via a microfilter?

All of the wiring from the lower front face-plate at the NTE5 to the extension socket is your own. The extension socket is also your own. (it was given to the owner of the property when the NTE5 was installed.)

To be perfectly honest, I'm not that sure if fitting a centralised filter at the NTE5 and then running data cabling from it to the vicinity of the modem/router would achieve much.

Without physically seeing and touching the current set-up, anything I suggest will just be a good guess.

Perhaps look in the classified advertisements of your local paper for an ex-GPO/ex-PO/ex-BT person who would be willing to visit, inspect and advise accordingly?  :-\

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »

The phone is run from the master and has a filter. Thanks for your patience, B'cat.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »

The phone is run from the master and has a filter.

That's good to know. "Looking" from afar, it is only the usage of the LJU2/1A as an extension socket that gets one of my "black looks". ;)

Thanks for your patience, B'cat.

You are welcome.  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:23:24 PM by burakkucat »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »

All the goings on has caused 32/4 interleaving to be applied this morning. I'm curious to know what the levels mean, even though they're no where near what you plutocrats with fibre mention time to time.

I'll wait to see if today's stability is maintained before doing anything drastic.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2017, 08:46:41 PM »

All the goings on has caused 32/4 interleaving to be applied this morning. I'm curious to know what the levels mean, . . .

I'll leave that for A.N.Other to explain as I am more "at home" with the physical infrastructure.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »

OT

I've lost all the DSLStats records over the bad period; silly me for not backing up more often!

On Saturday an a new program caused me to be locked out from logging in to Windows, so had to do a complete reset.

Where's that nine tailed whip now?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]