Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Naked dsl  (Read 1924 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Naked dsl
« on: April 12, 2017, 07:01:30 AM »

Are we getting anywhere nearer to ISP being able to buy true naked dsl from BTW ? (Or is it from OR, getting confused.)

If the good thing actually happens then A & A will resell the naked service to me and I might just possibly save a small amount of money. I'm still possibly paying BT (indirectly) for something I have no use for just now.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Naked dsl
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:40:26 AM »

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/bt-openreach-begin-phase-2-trial-sogea-standalone-fttc-broadband.html
The commercial launch itself is currently expected to begin sometime during early or mid 2018
I don't expect prices to drop much, if at all. It will still cost the same to maintain the copper pair. Might have helped make pricing clearer a white ago but Ofcom have gone some way to doing that by making ISP's include line rental with broadband pricing.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Naked dsl
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

Agreed - I woudn't expect much of a price saving. In fact, in several countries its more expensive than buying a line with the ability to make voice calls  as the option to cross subsidise or for extra revenue no longer exists.