Announcements > News Articles

FTTP

<< < (2/7) > >>

Ronski:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on April 18, 2017, 03:24:29 PM ---I wonder what is the evidence that fttp in new build properties encourage a higher uptake of FTTP services. I'm assuming that the people in the new builds will still have to order broadband like everyone else.

--- End quote ---

It's got nothing to do with take up,  if they're going to build a new housing estate then it may as well be built with fttp, but OR need to be consulted early enough in the planning stage.

broadstairs:
I wonder what happens in estates like that if you only want a phone and no internet? Also will the che4aper options be available like ADSL etc. Will copper have to be installed as well?

Stuart

Chrysalis:
wired phone services are on the way out, the vast majority of people with landlines only have them as a requirement for broadband or tv.

aside's from pensioners who are not technical savvy I dont see the reason for people to want wired phone services, they technically inferior and now also inferior in terms of value for money compared to mobile devices.

regarding cheap broadband services, there is no reason a low priced low speed FTTP product cannot be made available, I guess such a decision is based on projected demand tho.

niemand:

--- Quote from: Black Sheep on April 18, 2017, 03:36:05 PM ---Is your glass permanently half-empty Ignitionnet ?? How would you expect a company Director to otherwise deliver this news ??

#fightyourinnerurgeforflippancy

--- End quote ---

I don't expect them to at all. Delivering something that isn't copper to a new build shouldn't be a big deal for an incumbent that passes close to thirty million premises.

niemand:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on April 18, 2017, 03:24:29 PM ---It is good news that FTTP is being put in to more new build properites.

I wonder what is the evidence that fttp in new build properties encourage a higher uptake of FTTP services. I'm assuming that the people in the new builds will still have to order broadband like everyone else.

I'm just trying to figure out how OR (or any other company pushing FTTP) come to conclusions about demand when it comes to broadband services.

When OR pick the areas to deploy pilot schemes how do they access that one area is a better potential uptake than another? Is Demand a factor, if so, how is it measured?

These questions arent only aimed at OR. They are aimed at any company deploying FTTP services. How are they accessing that new build demand is higher? Is there any evidence we can see?

--- End quote ---

New build is cheaper as the developer builds the ducts and chambers using Openreach provided materials. No need to spend £500 per premises digging up existing pavements and roads.

The sums are the same everywhere. Balancing cost of deployment versus expected takeup.

They are different for OR as the costs of deployment are way lower, however generally there will be copper revenues to offset against the expected increase in income so they work on incremental income and do not seem to be interested in trying to replace copper with fibre.

In addition OR can deploy FTTC very cheaply indeed so that also reduces the attractiveness of FTTP, and G.fast, despite its range restrictions, can also be deployed very cheaply so will buy OR some time before FTTP becomes required.

The maths for OR are very different from those of others. They are balancing the cost of FTTP now versus how much it costs them to delay it and build later, and as you can see with the G.fast from cabinets deployment, basically taking an FTTdp technology and changing its direction to FTTC, they are very good at delaying at minimal cost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version