News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FTTP  (Read 7177 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
FTTP
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:43:18 PM »

One of the most ambitious housing developments in the UK and we’re making it Ultrafast

We’ve secured an amazing opportunity as part of our commitment to deliver Ultrafast speeds to 12 million premises by 2020.
Barking Riverside, on the northern banks of the Thames, is a new development and is the biggest contract Openreach has secured since launching our commitment to deliver Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) technology to 99% of New Sites (with 30+ premises).

Working in partnership with the Home Builders Federation and government, Openreach will provide Ultrafast broadband to 10,500 new properties, which includes a mix of family housing, apartments, schools, retail, community and leisure facilities. This site is the largest of 9,877 new housing developments totalling more than 240,000 new premises across the UK which benefit from FTTP.

Infrastructure Delivery MD, Kim Mears said: 'We’re really pleased to be involved in what is one of the most ambitious and important developments in the UK. This major investment in Ultrafast broadband reflects our commitment to ensuring the UK has a first class network.'

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTP
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 01:22:23 PM »

Thats good news,  hopefully more builders will get their act  together and get Openreach on board early enough so fttp can be rolled out to new build estates.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 02:04:02 PM »

Infrastructure Delivery MD, Kim Mears said: 'We’re really pleased to be involved in what is one of the most ambitious and important developments in the UK. This major investment in Ultrafast broadband reflects our commitment to ensuring the UK has a first class network.'

Oh please. It's new build and FTTP is cost-neutral or even cheaper than copper.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »

It is good news that FTTP is being put in to more new build properites.

I wonder what is the evidence that fttp in new build properties encourage a higher uptake of FTTP services. I'm assuming that the people in the new builds will still have to order broadband like everyone else.

I'm just trying to figure out how OR (or any other company pushing FTTP) come to conclusions about demand when it comes to broadband services.

When OR pick the areas to deploy pilot schemes how do they access that one area is a better potential uptake than another? Is Demand a factor, if so, how is it measured?

These questions arent only aimed at OR. They are aimed at any company deploying FTTP services. How are they accessing that new build demand is higher? Is there any evidence we can see?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »

Oh please. It's new build and FTTP is cost-neutral or even cheaper than copper.

Is your glass permanently half-empty Ignitionnet ?? How would you expect a company Director to otherwise deliver this news ??

#fightyourinnerurgeforflippancy

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »

I wonder what is the evidence that fttp in new build properties encourage a higher uptake of FTTP services. I'm assuming that the people in the new builds will still have to order broadband like everyone else.

It's got nothing to do with take up,  if they're going to build a new housing estate then it may as well be built with fttp, but OR need to be consulted early enough in the planning stage.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:54 PM »

I wonder what happens in estates like that if you only want a phone and no internet? Also will the che4aper options be available like ADSL etc. Will copper have to be installed as well?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

wired phone services are on the way out, the vast majority of people with landlines only have them as a requirement for broadband or tv.

aside's from pensioners who are not technical savvy I dont see the reason for people to want wired phone services, they technically inferior and now also inferior in terms of value for money compared to mobile devices.

regarding cheap broadband services, there is no reason a low priced low speed FTTP product cannot be made available, I guess such a decision is based on projected demand tho.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:58:43 PM by Chrysalis »

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 05:10:46 PM »

Is your glass permanently half-empty Ignitionnet ?? How would you expect a company Director to otherwise deliver this news ??

#fightyourinnerurgeforflippancy

I don't expect them to at all. Delivering something that isn't copper to a new build shouldn't be a big deal for an incumbent that passes close to thirty million premises.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 05:17:50 PM »

It is good news that FTTP is being put in to more new build properites.

I'm just trying to figure out how OR (or any other company pushing FTTP) come to conclusions about demand when it comes to broadband services.

When OR pick the areas to deploy pilot schemes how do they access that one area is a better potential uptake than another? Is Demand a factor, if so, how is it measured?

These questions arent only aimed at OR. They are aimed at any company deploying FTTP services. How are they accessing that new build demand is higher? Is there any evidence we can see?

New build is cheaper as the developer builds the ducts and chambers using Openreach provided materials. No need to spend £500 per premises digging up existing pavements and roads.

The sums are the same everywhere. Balancing cost of deployment versus expected takeup.

They are different for OR as the costs of deployment are way lower, however generally there will be copper revenues to offset against the expected increase in income so they work on incremental income and do not seem to be interested in trying to replace copper with fibre.

In addition OR can deploy FTTC very cheaply indeed so that also reduces the attractiveness of FTTP, and G.fast, despite its range restrictions, can also be deployed very cheaply so will buy OR some time before FTTP becomes required.

The maths for OR are very different from those of others. They are balancing the cost of FTTP now versus how much it costs them to delay it and build later, and as you can see with the G.fast from cabinets deployment, basically taking an FTTdp technology and changing its direction to FTTC, they are very good at delaying at minimal cost.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 05:19:30 PM »

I wonder what happens in estates like that if you only want a phone and no internet? Also will the che4aper options be available like ADSL etc. Will copper have to be installed as well?

Stuart

Copper will not be installed as well unless the developer pays for it. Openreach actually want rid of ADSL by the end of the decade if feasible.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »

wired phone services are on the way out, the vast majority of people with landlines only have them as a requirement for broadband or tv.

aside's from pensioners who are not technical savvy I dont see the reason for people to want wired phone services, they technically inferior and now also inferior in terms of value for money compared to mobile devices.

I think you need to go and visit some rural areas!
I'm 6 miles from a city and I have a functional 2G service inside but a barely functional 3G one and it only "works" outside.  The landline has a far superior call quality at all times.
On Sunday I was in a home counties village - 2G is only functional for texts - you cannot really have a conversation - it simply does not work. As for 3G let alone 4G -wot's that.....
Today I was in another village 2 miles from a M way (population c1500). Here 2G voice is usually OK inside -provided you are in the right part of the house you understand - ie it is sh*t.
I have relations in Wales in a large village (c2000 inhabitants). In a significant part of the village (including their house) there no mobile reception whatsoever from any provider - your phone goes to "no signal" as you enter the village - and this is confirmed by the various coverage maps. Yes there have been umpteen complaints - is anything done - no.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

The solution to that is to push for more mobile masts, not to keep copper on life support.  Mobile is the future for voice communications.

For reference I have been to villages and other rural areas and 2G always functions fine for me, but I am on EE the best UK network.

The gov simply needs to make mobile networks have an obligation the same as BT for voice and these issues would be fixed.  But they obsessed with only regulating BT.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 05:58:33 PM »

I fail to understand why pushing mobile is the answer, I live in an area with 4g (on EE) but it is far from perfect. Mobile phones are a real PITA, you only have to see how many people still use them while driving, in my view anyone caught using one driving should be banned from driving for 5 years. Then there are the idiots who walk round not looking where they are going - no I refuse to get out of their way and I dont care if I knock them flying.  Even round here in Kent there are huge numbers of not spots for mobile coverage. More mobile masts simply despoils the country side, we have some near me which are supposed to look like trees, what a joke they look really stupid.

As for no copper fine but make allowances for those who only want a land line and no broadband, no one should have to take broadband just to get a working phone.

Roll on Virgin here in Thanet and as soon as I can I'll ditch copper for fibre, but that's me and I dont see why others should have no choice.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 06:10:22 PM »

its the answer as its forward thinking.  copper is obsolete.  I am amazed people are so backward thinking.

you seriously trying to suggest having a landline that you can only use at one fixed location is better than having a phone you can use anywhere in the uk? and on top of that mobiles are now more cost effective, as standard voicemail, caller display and more that are premium extras on landlines.  No connection fee's like landlines have as well.

You are saying even if you had no signal issues you would prefer a landline? seems madness.

To deploy copper on a new build is insanity, it has no future proofing and just needless extra cost.  With that said I think to keep people like you happy its possible to do voice over ip services on a FTTP cable, similar to how over voLTE works.

Now to look for a dialup service just so I have the choice. :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:12:42 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: [1] 2 3