Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL slowed over time  (Read 3194 times)

jt999

VDSL slowed over time
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »

Hi every one, new here  :cool:

I have a vDSL connection that used to run at around 50-60Mbps, but a few months back it became intermittent (disconnecting quite a few times a day) and slowed down to around 20-25Mbps. BT Openreach engineer had a look a month or two ago and failed to find a fault but since he looked the line has improved in stability.
I've begun the process of moving DSL provider to Zen (switchover date is 22nd), but want to make sure everything I can do is under control, as I'd really like to see my speeds improve. I've now got an unlocked HG612 reporting to MDWS (same username) but to be honest it's all fairly unclear what I'm really looking for, I'm a technical person but DSL technologies are out of my expertise.

Is there anything I can do from my side to help the speeds recover? I understand DLM controls it, but I'm not sure if I can help reduce the error seconds etc on the line (perhaps if I limit the traffic it would error less?).

Also I'm assuming simply switching ISP isn't going to reset my DLM profile?

Hopefully I make some sense, the entire thing has stressed me out a lot - I rely on my connection as I work from home.

Here is the xdslcmd output, not sure if it actually helps though!

xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 6801 Kbps, Downstream rate = 26136 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 6785 Kbps, Downstream rate = 23648 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2770)
DS: (33,857) (1218,1959) (2795,4083)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (6,31) (882,1193) (1984,2245)
DS: (41,857) (1218,1959)
                  VDSL Port Details               Upstream                Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:            6801 kbps              26136 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:             3.8 dBm                3.8 dBm
====================================================================================
        VDSL Band Status                U0              U1              U2              U3              U4              D1              D2              D3
  Line Attenuation(dB):  11.0    39.0    56.0     N/A     N/A    23.5    49.1    70.7
Signal Attenuation(dB):  10.8    38.9    54.3     N/A     N/A    27.2    48.7     N/A
                SNR Margin(dB):  6.3     6.0     6.0      N/A     N/A    5.9     5.9      N/A
                 TX Power(dBm): -4.5    -4.1     2.1      N/A     N/A    11.1    7.4      N/A

JT
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:36:47 PM by jt999 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: VDSL slowed over time
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »

Hi every one, new here  :cool:

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I've begun the process of moving DSL provider to Zen (switchover date is 22nd),

Who is your current provider, from whom you are migrating?

Also I'm assuming simply switching ISP isn't going to reset my DLM profile?

It depends. If, in your provider migration, you change from one underlying Openreach product to another then, yes, the DLM process will undergo a reset.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jt999

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:09:01 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

Who is your current provider, from whom you are migrating?

It depends. If, in your provider migration, you change from one underlying Openreach product to another then, yes, the DLM process will undergo a reset.

Thank you for having me :)

My current provider is KCOM (previously known as Eclipse - I'm not in the Hull area so it may be different to most KCOM lines) via a BT line. I assume that is under Openreach as an Openreach engineer had to originally attend my home to fit a new faceplate and a BT vDSL modem, but I don't know for sure!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »

I am assuming that your current service uses the Openreach 80/20 Mbps DS/US product and working from home, it is the 20 Mbps US that is important to you.

I guess that your new service, with Zen, will be taking the same "top tier" of the Openreach products to retain the potential 20 Mbps US. Quite honestly, I would not like to try and predict what will occur with the DLM process. Let's see what others think . . . 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jt999

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:56:54 PM »

I am assuming that your current service uses the Openreach 80/20 Mbps DS/US product and working from home, it is the 20 Mbps US that is important to you.

I guess that your new service, with Zen, will be taking the same "top tier" of the Openreach products to retain the potential 20 Mbps US. Quite honestly, I would not like to try and predict what will occur with the DLM process. Let's see what others think . . .

Yes, that sounds about right.

I can live with these speeds for now, assuming DLM will eventually begin improving them (not sure how long that takes, I've replaced the modem and cables in the past few weeks, and taken steps to ensure it doesn't reboot as often (had 2 power cuts Thursday that didn't help!). It'd just be nice if DLM were to be reset, but it's a pain to get that sorted from what I hear.

Thanks for your help on this so far, much appreciated!  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »

My experience regarding a DLM reset has been that downgrading from 80/20 to 40/10 will cause a reset (both banding and interleaving were removed when I did this recently). I don't know if the same would happen from 40/10 to 80/20 but I don't see necessarily why it wouldn't. I'm currently waiting for my regrade back to 80/20 to be processed, hopefully tomorrow and then done the following day in the early hours of the morning.

EDIT: Unless migrating from WBMC to GEA (Zen can use either depending on whether they have their own equipment for the backhaul in the actual exchange, as far as I know) then DLM may not reset if it's going from 80/20 to 80/20. If however you're on WBMC and Zen have their own equipment in your exchange for the backhaul (GEA) then you'll most likely get a DLM reset from that. I know when I was migrated from 'WBMC' to 'GEA' I had a DLM reset, at the time I didn't know why but then some time later I discovered I was no longer on WBMC and read somewhere that this migration can cause a DLM reset for some reason.

See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=18945.0
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:47:06 PM by Ixel »

jt999

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 11:29:15 PM »

My experience regarding a DLM reset has been that downgrading from 80/20 to 40/10 will cause a reset (both banding and interleaving were removed when I did this recently). I don't know if the same would happen from 40/10 to 80/20 but I don't see necessarily why it wouldn't. I'm currently waiting for my regrade back to 80/20 to be processed, hopefully tomorrow and then done the following day in the early hours of the morning.

I'm sticking to the 80/20 as far as I know, so I guess I'll report back here Tuesday so everyone knows for future :)

jt999

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »

Not sure if this is an issue, but I have interleaving enabled on my line, MDWS suggests that with that on I should have low CRC and high FEC, however both are 0 - I assume that's a good thing, but do I need interleaving if those are both getting 0?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

I think you are looking at the wrong data  ???
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »

@jt999: Were you looking at your HG612 GUI? If so you should ignore the error figures shown there, because they are mixed up. The correct data is shown by telnet and on MDWS.
  Eric

jt999

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 03:27:53 PM »

I assume I was looking in the wrong place then, on occasion on MDWS I find myself on another users stats, perhaps I'd done that again  :lol:

Sorry for the confusion, I'll get back to my slow DSL :)

jt999

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 08:19:16 AM »

The move to Zen has happened now, it did get rid of interleaving so that's something, no real speed change though.

jt999

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »

Annoyingly I now have tons of errored seconds, sometimes I wish I couldn't see the stats!  :'(

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »

Lools like you line needs the interleaving that was removed...

jt999

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »

:lol: Maybe I just need to move house and be done with it

anything