Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Weekend was not good for me  (Read 14615 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Weekend was not good for me
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 09:13:35 AM »

TBH I don't know, or even where I can find that historical data. Ido know that PN did put me on ADSL 2+. As to my Billion router, I am finding it very difficult to work out, if the mode in telnet is static or variable. If any one can help, I'd be grateful.

Last night I turned off the computer. When I rebooted today, I found DS SNRm 22.8 dB; speed 2151 kbps; attenuation 42.5 dB. Maximum speed is is 5132 kbps, and now mode is ADSL 2.

It's all confusing!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »

After a struggle I found how to lock in to a single gdmt mode. I also took the risk of tweaking noise margin down to 6 dB.. Speed is now 5998 kbps.

I'll see if it settles, but has anyone more suggestions in the meantime?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2017, 03:13:25 PM »

As things have settled down somewhat, albeit with speed and SNRm fluctuations, twice to -2dB, I'll live with it until something decisive happens. Sufficient unto the day is the hassle thereof!

One entry in the event log today has me head scratching
05 May 2017 06:32:27   Incorrect login name or password
It cannot be true. I had left router and computer on overnight, and did not get up until a little after seven, so there was no interference with name or password.
What could've caused the event to be?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2017, 04:13:12 PM »

Normally that message means what it says, but in this case I suppose it could have been a spike of electrical interference which happened just as it was logging on, or something like that.
  Eric

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 04:32:34 PM »

Hi roseway

I'm pretty sure from memory I have seen similar messages (win7 over wifi) and to be honest, I did not mention it previously because I thought it was already logged in and this message was another attempted login using same credentials

I do not think any data is missing from mine

I am sorry in advance if I am wrong though, old age and memory fade

Many thanks

John

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2017, 12:09:27 AM »

Normally that message means what it says, but in this case I suppose it could have been a spike of electrical interference which happened just as it was logging on, or something like that.
Look what I find in my logs
05 May 2017 02:39:38   Incorrect login name or password

I used to see it a lot and just ignored it as DSLstats still worked.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2017, 07:07:54 AM »

OK, I'll look at this again.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2017, 07:45:22 AM »

I've had a look at this now, and the message in question is shown when the modem fails to respond to the password, or fails to return the expected prompt, within the timeout time. This is normally the result of an incorrect username or password, as the message says, but it could just be a timeout resulting from the modem responding slowly.

Timeouts have been a slightly irritating issue with some modems, and that's what I'm working on now. In the meantime, if it only happens occasionally it's harmless (apart from missing one sample).
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »

Why in the early hours, when I was in my pit, and nothing was going on?
Something crossed my mind. We hsve a small electrical unit nearby. Normally it gives no trouble, but did when we came in 2002. Perhaps it's going doolally again. Hmmm.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »

We hsve a small electrical unit nearby. Normally it gives no trouble, but did when we came in 2002. Perhaps it's going doolally again. Hmmm.

What do you mean outside near your house ?.
Have you got a Medium wave radio tuned to 612kHz you could take near it and check for interference.

[Moderator edited to fix the [quote][/quote] tags.]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 06:54:02 PM by burakkucat »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2017, 07:09:20 PM »

The two attachments will help explain. The leccy unit may be smaller than illustration. Access is not easy, as it is along a fairly steep and uneven forest path on the flank of neighbour's house.

I have a radio and will try to see if there is out of ordinary noise, when convenient.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2017, 10:10:01 PM »

It's a local substation, Possible high voltage in and steps it down for your area supply 230/415 Volt supply.
The cabinet would have fuses in.
There could be something called a 'tap Changer' to keep the output voltage constant.
The contacts on the tap changer do need regular maintenance and could be arching and making interference..
Even if you find nothing contact your area electrical supplier and ask them to come and check there gear.
 We live in a 'Special Conservation' area we have substation in the next lane to us and it had to be housed in a old barn to hide it, I have got our local electric supplier to clean the tap changer on a number of times.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2017, 11:19:18 PM »

OT very!
Special conservation area- sounds interesting, may I ask why it has the accolade?

Behind my house is the boundary of the New Forest National Park.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2017, 09:34:24 PM »

OT very!
Special conservation area- sounds interesting, may I ask why it has the accolade?

Behind my house is the boundary of the New Forest National Park.
It's what our local council has put on the area 'Area of outstanding natural beauty' And that makes it very difficult to get planning permission.
We are in South-Derbyshire and we have a 800 Acre deer park with it's large Grade 1 mansion owned by the National Trust .

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2017, 09:32:13 PM »

Having set up as lastly advised by Eric, the problems seemed to have vanished.  As that time I was running my connection from the hard wired extension: telephone socket > filter> router, ignoring the surge protector. Now I have once more included the protector in the run, as in attachment, method #2 inclusive of filter, but no phone is linked to the filter, as the phone is a slave.
It may be entirely coincidental, yet invalid floating point errors, and DSLStats has stopped warnings have bloomed. Also the Systray then contains more than one icon!
Not direcly to do with this. I rebooted computer this evening, and reset the router, which had been suffering “No DSLConnection” problems. Here is the Event Log afterwards
08 May 2017 20:17:42   Recording started
08 May 2017 20:17:46   Impossible upstream ES value reported. Value set to zero.
08 May 2017 20:17:46   Impossible downstream ES value reported. Value set to zero.
08 May 2017 20:18:00   Unable to determine IP address
08 May 2017 20:18:14   DSL connection dropped
08 May 2017 20:18:14   No DSL connection
08 May 2017 20:18:45   DSL connection restored
08 May 2017 20:20:44   DSL connection dropped
08 May 2017 20:20:44   No DSL connection
08 May 2017 20:21:14   No DSL connection
08 May 2017 20:21:45   DSL connection restored
08 May 2017 20:21:49   IP address is now 91.125.*.*
Is it, then, mere coincidence, that the problems have resurfaced with the new configuration. I cannot see how it cannot be, or what more could be the problems.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

anything