Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Weekend was not good for me  (Read 14499 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Weekend was not good for me
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 06:43:04 AM »

Of course! :) But I have the additional trouble of DSLStats failing to keep working (another thread).
Should I swap over to my old router yet?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 10:04:45 AM »

BTW just noticed the IPcanged @20:25, 20:36 and 20:44. Bit often isn't it?

It indicates that the line lost sync to the exchange. See  - "DSL connection dropped"
The line will have had to retrain and once sync was negotiated a new PPP session will have had to be obtained from your ISP at which point you were allocated a new IP address.

Got wife to listen for noise (her hearing is superior to mine) and she heard no noise. I've yet to use a corded though.

TBH if you cant hear any noise using a cordless phone, then its unlikely you'd hear anything with a corded. 
Cordless phones can sometimes pick up a bit of noise unrelated to physical line conditions which is why we say test with a corded phone. eg you may sometimes hear a bit of noise when testing with a cordless which isn't really there on the physical line

Out of interest those drops weren't at around the time you were doing the Quiet Line Test were they? (or was the phone in use at that particular time?)
I always watch DSLstats when performing a QLT, if the upstream SNRm starts wavering or if you lose sync then its further proof of a developing HR fault.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »

QLT difficult to recall, but wifey's was well away from comp, and DSLstats bad behaviour not helpful. Next time I play, I'll make sure to be watching Eric's marvel!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 07:08:10 PM »

Yesterday, having set up DSLStats 5.9.3.2, I had no problems at all, save that DS SNRM was running above US. I turned the router off overnight.
At boot this morning I was delighted that sync had risen from ~5500kbps to ~7300 kbps, which  @6 db SNRM was not far from the ~7900 kbps @ 3dB. Premature delight! DSLStats had stopped working. On its restart down sync had plummeted to 150kbps @ SNRM rocketed to over 30 dB. Tones used diminished.
We went out and came back mid-afternoon, by when it had recovered. QLN was different from its norm, while the anomalies existed.
A PDF of some graphs is attached.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »

Do you have any SNRm graphs for this morning?

QLT difficult to recall, but wifey's was well away from comp, and DSLstats bad behaviour not helpful.

Not sure if I misunderstand our answer or if you misunderstood me. 
What would be useful is if you could get a SNRm graph mapping whilst performing a Quiet Line Test.  If you could get a before and after period in the same graph too that would be useful.     

In fact it needn't be a QLT, even better may be to try a Ringback test.
Dial 17070... and I think its option 1

Whilst doing this if possible, get DSLstats to record every 10 seconds rather than the default 60 secs.
Configuration > Graphs > Sample every:

What I'm trying to check is if there is any variation in SNR margin whilst the phone is in use or when it rings. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »

Looking at the abnormal QLN plot, I am suspicious of the circuit's integrity.  :-\

That plot looks somewhat like what I would expect with a "one leg dis" . . . but with the two disconnected ends held in very close proximity, such that there is significant capacitive coupling "across the gap".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »

Do you have any SNRm graphs for this morning?

Not sure if I misunderstand our answer or if you misunderstood me. 
What would be useful is if you could get a SNRm graph mapping whilst performing a Quiet Line Test.  If you could get a before and after period in the same graph too that would be useful.     

In fact it needn't be a QLT, even better may be to try a Ringback test.
Dial 17070... and I think its option 1

Whilst doing this if possible, get DSLstats to record every 10 seconds rather than the default 60 secs.
Configuration > Graphs > Sample every:

What I'm trying to check is if there is any variation in SNR margin whilst the phone is in use or when it rings.

SNRm graphs for the morning, such as are, in PDFs below.

Sorry for PDFs instead of gifs! Windows 10 and MSPaint don't work the same as earlier editions. I haven't cracked it yet.
Wii do other things tomorrow.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2017, 11:37:44 PM »

Looking at the abnormal QLN plot, I am suspicious of the circuit's integrity.  :-\

That plot looks somewhat like what I would expect with a "one leg dis" . . . but with the two disconnected ends held in very close proximity, such that there is significant capacitive coupling "across the gap".

Que! can you put that in words one syllable? ;D Is your suspicion based on the relative smoothness of the abnormal QLN graph?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 12:00:46 AM »

Que! can you put that in words one syllable? ;D

I know nothing, I come from Barcelona.  ::)

Is your suspicion based on the relative smoothness of the abnormal QLN graph?

It certainly should not have that shape!

My suspicion is that there is either a defective joint or a fracture in one of the wires making up the circuit's pair. The two ends are being held very close together but without being in intimate contact and are emulating a capacitor. Hmm . . . I'm now having second thoughts. Rather than a series capacitive effect, I wonder if we are seeing a parallel (shunt) capacitive effect. All higher frequencies have disappeared leaving a plot that rapidly flattens with increasing frequency.

I know you have had many problems with the D-side circuit over the years. When I first arrived here, N years ago, you were waiting for the hole digging man to excavate the cable. Am I right in saying that you have been told that cabling with aluminium conductors form part of your circuit?

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »

renluop: could you also attach current Hlog?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »

@B'cat
I can't recall having mentioned ali, but my part of the estate was built 1971 and cables are d.i.g. Prior to ADSL2/2+ the attenuation was 43-44 db and since 46-47. For that I am getting  sync ~7350 kbps ADSL2+. BT estimate for number is 3.5 -5.5 Mbps.

The crow fly distance from exchange to house is 2044 metres, and by road, using local knowledge of area and how cable on the D side runs I put @ ~2550 metres.

I've assumed from the speed obtained vs BT estimator, that ali was unlikely.

Right tree?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »

@ konrado5

What do you expect HLog to reveal? See attachment.

@ kitz I haven't forgotten. :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »

@ Kitz now attached is my ring back graph!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »

I can't recall having mentioned ali, but my part of the estate was built 1971 and cables are d.i.g. Prior to ADSL2/2+ the attenuation was 43-44 db and since 46-47. For that I am getting  sync ~7350 kbps ADSL2+. BT estimate for number is 3.5 -5.5 Mbps.

Thank you for that information. My memory has obviously got you muddled with someone else.  :-[

I've assumed from the speed obtained vs BT estimator, that ali was unlikely.

Right tree?

Agreed.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 12:58:54 AM »

@ konrado5

What do you expect HLog to reveal? See attachment.
I hope someone will have Hlog similar to mine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5