Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 113735 times)

galballyj

• Just arrived
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #390 on: June 20, 2018, 08:52:00 PM »

sorry to be a pain. been keeping an eye on the thread over the past few months but not seen anyone mention it. DOes anyone know if St Peters north of the railway bridge is planning on being done any time soon (Where Revolution is)?

I'm in Westover Gardens

I see that St Peters village was done recently and i see postings on roadworks.org for Kingsgate, but nothing in the middle where I am.

Want to know If i should be renewing my sky contract or holding on a little longer.

Thanks

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #391 on: June 20, 2018, 08:57:20 PM »

@galballyj Welcome to the forums, yes apparently pretty much all of Thanet will be done, possible exceptions might be private roads for example.

Actually Westover Gardens is scheduled for the 18 July to 2 August on Roadworks.org - make sure you select 12 months view.

I can confirm that Virgin Media is coming to Thanet (I do work for them) - we start in Garlinge next Monday and rollout the rest of Thanet over the next 18 months. An aggressive plan is in place to get the WHOLE of Thanet in Fibre to the premise network by August 2018.

Look out for information events being held in the area and men spraying biodegradable paint marking the paths. They will also be working with big orange barriers and boards saying 'Virgin Media'.. so hopefully won't be hard to spot!!

There will also be introductory offers and you register your interest in advance.

Thanks! :)

Edited to add: The rest of the estate is scheduled for September/October, so Westover Rd may well not be live for some months.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:00:49 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #392 on: June 21, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »

sorry to be a pain. been keeping an eye on the thread over the past few months but not seen anyone mention it. DOes anyone know if St Peters north of the railway bridge is planning on being done any time soon (Where Revolution is)?

I'm in Westover Gardens

I see that St Peters village was done recently and i see postings on roadworks.org for Kingsgate, but nothing in the middle where I am.

Want to know If i should be renewing my sky contract or holding on a little longer.

Thanks

As per Ronski's reply, VM are proposed to be in Westover Gardens from 18th July.

This link will take you to the precise permit: https://roadworks.org/?105560810

You can also setup alerts via the Roadworks.org site as dates do change.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2018, 07:31:54 AM »

Well I checked this morning and now Crow Hill shows up on Roadworks.org with a road closure between Stone Road and Claire Court from the 21st July to 10th August. Great timing as this is right at the start of the summer holiday period.

What I don't know is whether this means they will be doing the whole of Crow Hill in these 10 days or just the lower bit as both Claire Court and Linden Avenue/Dalmeny Close are all (or very nearly) done now.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2018, 10:46:32 PM »

The permit is for works as described in the description but includes the ~100m section from Claire Court to Stone Road.

The permit is showing the highest level of traffic management, which is starting with the closure at the pinch point, and will be altered when the works progress onto the other sections of Crow Hill which won't be under a road closure.

From the permit:
Location: Claire court to junction of Stone Road and Claire Court to o/s 112 Linden Place
Description: Trench work in footway 490m. trench work in carriageway approx 200m

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #395 on: June 29, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »

Thanks Zico....

Stuart

supernoodles

« Reply #396 on: July 12, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »

Hello all figured i'd give a little update to my situation.

Still no closer to getting service at my flat the person i spoke to back in march hasn't been in touch since.

Spoke to someone on the wayleave team again last thursday who said he would get the local data rep to contact me and let me know what was going on with my building being serviced but sadly i still haven't heard anything :(

Anyone else in the area with East Kent Housing and managed to get Virgin in their flat yet?

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #397 on: July 12, 2018, 08:34:49 PM »

If you've not already done so, try the Leasehold team who, at a guess, should know what to do to help with answering about getting the building connected. Seeing as the Leasehold page dictates what you can/can't do as a lease holder, they should be able to deal with a request for the building to get wired up as a whole.
https://www.eastkenthousing.org.uk/information-for-leaseholders/contact-the-leasehold-team/

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #398 on: July 25, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »

Well completely p****d off with VM's contractors today. They completely blocked access for Thanet Council bin men today so in this heat our rubbish bin has not been collected and the Council say we could wait up to 5 days for a collection if they even bother. Now I did go out first thing and told one of the contractors they had to allow access but as I rather expected they totally ignored me. Also I explained that where they were placing the connector box outside our property was completely in the wrong place as there is no way of them being able to get a cable under our concrete path it has still been placed there. So if we ever get VM they will need to run a cable the long way round our garden to get to the correct side of the property to provide a connection, no way will I allow them to decide where to run the connection - it will go where I want or it wont happen.

Stuart

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #399 on: July 25, 2018, 04:50:56 PM »

Stuart! It wasn't VM, but ( sorry if I've told this before), our BT cable broke just as we had a new drive, and repair would have spoilt it. With BT we got them to divert the cable, provided we dug the shallow trench.
Could you see,if something like that is acceptable, and, of course find a churl relative to do the deed?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2018, 06:45:14 PM »

Sorry to hear you've had issues Stuart, the contractors that did ours was quite happy to move it's position, even happier when I slipped them a tenner for their trouble.

Depending on if your house is detached or a semi they might not have been able to move it, they seem to put one Toby in the middle of semi's, detached properties seem to get their own Toby.

If you want I could pop round at some point and see if there is a way around it.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #401 on: July 25, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »

No worries. As far as I'm concerned its their problem. No skin off my nose, if it causes them extra work tough. Its detached by the way.

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #402 on: July 25, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »

That's probably exactly the attitude that the installer will take, they get paid peanuts so they want to get it done as quickly as possible, I bet most don't care what it looks like either. I left a nice note in my Toby explaining where I wanted it routed and I'd dug a trench the other side of the hedge, I was lucky the guy phoned me and waited for me to drive up from Sandwich.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #403 on: July 26, 2018, 07:49:11 AM »

The issue they will have if we go with VM is that there is no way a continuous trench can be dug from our front garden wall to our house, unless you use a pneumatic drill which would wreck the crazy paving and the 6 inch thick concrete path surrounding the house. The other issue is that our ground level in the garden is roughly 4 feet above the street level where their connector box is. The only route that can be run easily once the come up our side of the front garden wall is above ground round the garden walls and up over a gate frame and on to the house wall, then along the wall some 12 feet to where they would have to place any external box prior to drilling through to indoors.

However I have a major obstacle in getting VM and that is my wife. She is so furious at the mess and disruption, which she cannot possibly see any good reason for, that she flatly refuses to contemplate allowing VM in the house.

Stuart

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #404 on: July 26, 2018, 10:06:49 AM »

Choose an install date when she's out for the day  :-X

They don't really need a trench, just a slit, or rake out a morter joint in the paving. The tube they install is either 6 or 8mm diameter, I'm sure it's a 6mm tube.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30