Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 113759 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »

Can't say I've really noticed, I use Firefox ESR with grouped tabs and dozens of pages/tabs/groups open which even with a very powerful PC it seems to get sluggish, Chrome is very responsive though.

It's the upload speed that really helps though (cloud backup etc), and the only reason I went for a package with such a high download.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2018, 12:32:43 PM »

Bowden its more likely the lower latency is adding snappiness in your case.

Where it will really help ronski is things like steam downloads and PSN that type of stuff.  Plus the fact he never needs to worry about DLM again.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »

DLM whats that  ;) :P

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »

Ronski what are you doing about a landline now? I suspect my other half will not do without one if I want to swap over.

BTW I am around 3-400 metres from my cabinet and get a full 20 meg upload speed so I am wondering what hit your upload speeds on VDSL?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »

Doing away with it completely. I've gradually weaned the wife off the land line, we've had mobiles for years with inclusive minutes (me & the wife, the kids are both PAYG but £10 last 3 months +), and for all four of us the cost is not much more than BT's line rental per month. Only person that ever rings the land line is the mother-in-law and so she can ring our mobiles instead - not sure what call allowance she gets on her LL/Mobile though.

Only potential problem I can see is when the wife needs to get hold of the doctors she has to use ring back (constantly engaged), which is not available on mobiles - she'll have to just keep trying. If it does become an issue then I can get a line from Virgin, it's only £2 a month, but I'd rather not as the cost is already more with Virgin.

As for my VDSL speeds they've never been great, used to get 12Mbps upload but gradually its dropped away. Download has fluctuated up and down, been as low as 38 and very briefly around 60Mpbs when first installed, but was generally around the mid 40's. BS checked out the route my cable takes and it's length, which was 450m plus a bit from the last JB into the house, so 450 - 500m. But he couldn't see what the cable make up was, but highly suspect its is or has ally in it. Oh and being on ECI cab means that holds it back, prior to VM announcing their installation I was planning to get a new line installed, which would have been on the twin Huawei cab (hopefully) installed last year.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »

Reference the mother in law, why don't you get a free SIPGATE VOIP line, which will be a standard land line number. Unfortunately Sipgate does not provide ring back facility. But to be honest I never used the facility, because I found the standard redial facility on the phone was more effective when I used to have to do that with my doctor's surgery. Thankfully, my doctor now has a 10.00 walk in surgery which is much better.
  Incidentally I  use a GRANDSTREAM 502 ATA box for some of my Sipgate lines. Sipgate call charges are very low if you did ever want to use it for outgoing calls...... 

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2018, 10:54:28 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Benji09, I'll see how we get on.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #352 on: May 06, 2018, 11:06:45 PM »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #353 on: May 07, 2018, 12:36:23 AM »

It's interesting that at 150 times slower speeds they call my DSL links broadband. The difference is far far greater than when I changed from 50kbps dialup to 0.5Mbps ADSL in 2004.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #354 on: May 07, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »

@Ignitionnet are you having issues again?
@weaver I'm sure yours will evolve one day, just hope you don't have to wait much longer.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #355 on: May 07, 2018, 07:27:06 AM »

The problem is, with nearly 400 Mbps what on earth would I do for a router, I would need to upgrade to an FB2900 as I doubt the FB2700 could quite hack it as they don't claim any more than 350 Mbps throughput. (Although I don't know under what conditions they mean, as surely it depends on the packets per second rate and on the processing you are asking it to do - number of complex firewall rules and the amount of per-packet processing.)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #356 on: May 07, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »

@Ignitionnet are you having issues again?

I presumed that was what we were supposed to "divine".  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #357 on: May 07, 2018, 05:43:00 PM »

The problem is, with nearly 400 Mbps what on earth would I do for a router, I would need to upgrade to an FB2900 as I doubt the FB2700 could quite hack it as they don't claim any more than 350 Mbps throughput.

If you did have such a service, without checking, would you really know that your FB2700 was throttling it to 350 Mbps (or thereabouts)? I suggest that without bothering to check, 350 Mbps and 400 Mbps would be indistinguishable.  :P

(Parenthesised; remember that your current throughput is actually better than my own and I do not find my throughput particularly limiting!)

Oops, we are taking this thread
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:19:48 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #358 on: May 07, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »

More the IP version.  ;)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #359 on: May 07, 2018, 10:56:19 PM »

Good point, I did notice that it was IPv6 but didn't think anything of it, but now you mention it I didn't think VM did IPv6.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30