Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 113890 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2018, 08:51:16 AM »

Hi CharTang,

I think the answer is below, presuming I'm correct and your in a flat, I'd suggest sending CLOKent a PM

If you have any concerns/questions please get in touch - I am obviously off for 4 days  :cool: but in relation to flats we have to pre-wire the properties before you can order - yes we do have to have an agreement with the freeholder or ALL leaseholders.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

CharTang

• Just arrived
    • YouTube
« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »

Nice thanks ronski, yeah in a flat will send a message, to be fair CLOkent has been the most useful person throughout these works imo.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

supernoodles

« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »

Nice thanks ronski, yeah in a flat will send a message, to be fair CLOkent has been the most useful person throughout these works imo.

If your flat has anything to do with TDC or Eask Kent Housing i wish you good luck.. i sent them an email at the start of the month and have heard nothing.

Called in today spoke to someone at EKH and TDC both sent me to the other and nobody had a clue what i was asking for =/ guess ill never get installed.

supernoodles

« Reply #318 on: April 27, 2018, 04:09:58 PM »

Had confirmation today that i wont be getting installed unless East Kent Housing reply to the wayleave team and that could take up to 6 months or longer kinda sucks watching your neighbours get installed and you cant lol :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #319 on: April 27, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »

That's really annoying, have you managed to track anyone down at East Kent Housing and bend their ear?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #320 on: April 28, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »

I was scheduled for PM install, but got a phone call mid morning asking if he could come early, which was fine by me.

We run the coax in exactly where I wanted it, although there is some excess internally, only problem with coax is it's not very flexible and you mustn't bend it too tightly. I didn't let him fix anything to the wall internally, I wanted to keep it as tidy as possible, so for him it was a nice quick job. Apart from what's seen in the attached photo's there is no other coax visible, I have trunking that runs around the room for all the other cables, so the coax is in this, then goes through a plastic pipe (actually 15mm plastic plumbing pipe)  I installed  years ago, which exits near the external box.

Picture 1 shows a 15dB wideband attenuator attached to the Hub 3, apparently used to reduce the power level, not a problem in my situation but these do stick out quite a bit, and then you have stiff coax.
Picture 2 shows the power injector.
Picture 3 shows the case that the power injector is mounted in screwed to the wall. Top left cable goes to the hub, bottom left is power in via coax from the plug in transformer, the coax feed in can't be seen but it is basically top right.

PS. Glad I haven't got Virgin TV, I hate the thought of having to put further coax around the house.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:47:08 PM by Ronski »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #321 on: April 28, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »

Pictures of external cabling, although I do need to pick up a cable cover for where it enters the house, would like a grey one but can't seem to find one, so may have be white.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #322 on: April 28, 2018, 04:42:08 PM »

And especially for Blacksheep   :P

PlusNet FTTC

Virgin Media

This one is actually both connections, so don't let the PlusNet bit throw you.

Had some issues getting things working with PFsense, but seems to be sorted now, mainly to do with load balancing/DNS, but I've turned off the FTTC connection anyway as I want to see how things go with Virgin.

TBB Ping monitor doesn't look very nice, ignore the red drop outs, that's just me playing about with things.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 04:48:02 PM by Ronski »

supernoodles

« Reply #323 on: April 28, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »

That's really annoying, have you managed to track anyone down at East Kent Housing and bend their ear?

Sadly anyone i talk to there has no clue what im asking for they basically just say "we dont care do what you want" but thats not good enough for virgin they need the wayleave agreement from them and sadly EKH is useless and don't even know what one is

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #324 on: April 28, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »

Only thing I could suggest is perhaps a visit or phone call to their head office in Aylesham, someone there must know what a way-leave is.

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #325 on: April 28, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »

Perhaps asking/writing to the EKH legal team/dept. would be better than just trying the normal contact methods. Because a Wayleave is a legal agreement, it would have to be dealt with by the appropriate people acting on behalf of EKH.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #326 on: April 28, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »

Thank you for the latest set of images.

So you still do not have native FTTP . . . the fibre is terminated outside the premises and the media converter feeds an RF signal along the co-axial cable to the internal CPE. So close but not quite there!  :P

Ideally I would have liked to have seen the fibre brought right into your server room and connected to a media converter with a Gigabit Ethernet socket.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #327 on: April 28, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »

Ideally I would have liked to have seen the fibre brought right into your server room and connected to a media converter with a Gigabit Ethernet socket.

So would I, but I guess they do it that way so they only need one type of modem/router. I'm sure the 10 meters or so of RG59 coax is well up to the job in hand  :P

Edited to add, they also need coax for their TV boxes as well, which seems so antiquated!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #328 on: April 29, 2018, 12:32:12 AM »

speeds staying stable ronski?

the graph I expect is due to what looks like you have the puma modem.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #329 on: April 29, 2018, 01:22:04 AM »

Looks very nice to me Ronski and how much does it cost per month and when can I get it ?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30