Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 113782 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »

Thanks for the updates.

BS. As long as that's the upload speed it will be a 50% improvement on what I have now  :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

supernoodles

« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »

anything is better than this 36/6 I'm getting at the moment on this shoddy aluminium cable lol time to start an auto refresh add-on on the virgin media postcode checker lol

Also the guy I spoke to mentioned that they have a newish bigger package 350/20 but sadly didn't tell me if that was gonna be the case for my road
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:18:59 PM by supernoodles »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »

The package that is 350Mbps at 2am but slows to a crawl at peak times?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »

That is a chance we'll have to take, if it gets that bad I'll insist on being released from my contract.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »

Don't they offer a trial period? Good time to test it out while you have your current setup still working.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2018, 04:27:45 PM »

I am supposed to be on 80/20 but capped (again and have been for weeks) at 60 down by DLM and 20 up OK. Issue is that if I had a Huawei cab on G.INP on ECI my down would be running at over 70 which is what it was doing before they pulled G.INP. I notice that the latest available from BT is advertised around 50/20 which just goes to show how they feel about stuff nowadays.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »

Lots of activity, the wife saw 5 vans opposite Asda, 2 more vans at another cabinet and theres one working on a cab on our estate at the moment.

Don't they offer a trial period? Good time to test it out while you have your current setup still working.

I believe they do, I think it used to be 30 days but was reduced to 14. If we do have problems it won't be straight away, it will take time to build up customer levels to the point of causing problems.

If VM is really bad then at least I should end up on a Huawei cab if I change back to FTTC.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:49:27 PM by Ronski »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2018, 07:04:38 PM »

Just been and had a chat in between the showers, he said they've been getting 4 areas ready today, and said we should be able to order soon. He'd spent quite a bit of time in Pysons Rd and opposite Asda today running checks. I'm sure he also mentioned that we should be able to order 350/20.

:fingers: that we don't suffer with congestion, BS will never let me forget the grass isn't always greener   :sick:

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2018, 07:13:10 PM »

I notice that the latest available from BT is advertised around 50/20 which just goes to show how they feel about stuff nowadays.

That speed will be based on the line speeds that are currently being observed. If/when DLM is rolled out expect the speeds advertised to increase after a few weeks

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2018, 07:15:19 PM »

LOL ....... it wouldn't be constant ..... just a little dig every now and again.  ;) ;D

Once you and Stuart are 'live', start a leafleting campaign to warn others off using VM's services ..... backhaul joy for ever.  :)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »

I believe they do, I think it used to be 30 days but was reduced to 14. If we do have problems it won't be straight away, it will take time to build up customer levels to the point of causing problems.

In that case your bast ploy is NOT to be one of the first to take up the service. Encourage as many as possible in the area to take up the service so that when you do switch it is already well loaded. That way you should see a realistic experience of what it is like during your 14 day trial.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2018, 08:26:57 PM »

Nice idea, but I've absolutely no way of knowing how many people have taken up the service at any given point in time or what the load is, unless of course people come on here complaining its congested, I'll just take my chances  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2018, 08:27:18 PM »

To be honest that's my intention especially as I signed up with TT for 18 months and I'm not paying them a penny in exit fees. When my contract is up then and only then will I look to see if VM is a viable option.

However to be honest getting away from BTOR would be  my intention. I have never been a fan of BT in all its guises and have had so many issues in the past which I am convinced were because they simply do not care about the end user and I have seen the way the company works from inside as well. The current system of copper cables should have been ditched many years ago, fibre has been around for years. I dont criticise the employees at black sheep's level as they have zero input to the corporate direction, but their senior management for sticking to outdated and outmoded infrastructure and not allowing the system to really provide a 21st century network.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:59 PM »

However to be honest getting away from BTOR would be  my intention. I have never been a fan of BT in all its guises and have had so many issues in the past which I am convinced were because they simply do not care about the end user and I have seen the way the company works from inside as well. The current system of copper cables should have been ditched many years ago, fibre has been around for years. I dont criticise the employees at black sheep's level as they have zero input to the corporate direction, but their senior management for sticking to outdated and outmoded infrastructure and not allowing the system to really provide a 21st century network.

OT for this thread but I suspect the relative lack of fibre is more down to Ofcom regulation rather than BT's management.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2018, 12:38:35 AM »

All seems okay again here now.  :fingers:

Back to nearly full speed... which is more than Openreach could ever deliver as I don't live inside the cabinet  :P
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30