Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 113829 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2017, 03:40:04 PM »

Thanks for the updates CLOKent, much appreciated.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2017, 04:36:32 PM »

@Broadstairs, Claire Court is now scheduled for the end of December, so getting closer to you.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2017, 06:11:18 PM »

That's only about 80 or so yards down the road from me.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2017, 08:06:20 AM »

My T was installed yesterday and as the wife was home she spoke to the contractors and they located it in a suitable location  :)

Zico

• Reg Member
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »

:thumbs:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »

Not too long now guys, before you're 'midnight surfing' .......  ;) ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »

LOL BS, I'm fully aware of VMs reputation, but things have apparently been improving recently as mentioned on TBB, whether they will slip back to their old ways who knows, only time will tell. Add to that the roll out in Thanet is completely new full fibre to my front door, not some dodgy ECI cabinet and then over some dodgy copper cable with probably some aluminium mixed in that's over 40 years old.

One would hope that this new network has sufficient capacity built in to last a good few years and then some (I've been assured it has), so in theory I should be able to get a decent upload speed of 20Mbps, and as a bonus a download speed of 300Mbps, instead of the 46/6 I currently get.

So far I've been kept far more up to date about the roll out than I ever was with FTTC, and it looks like I will be able to order it much quicker than I did with FTTC. My FTTC cab was stood in February 2012 and I was finally connected in late August 2012. FTTC has served me well, but my upload has halved over the 5 years, whilst download has fluctuated but stayed about the same.

Bottom line is VM have invested in full fibre to my front door, and I'm willing to stump up the money each month to give them a chance to prove themselves.

If BT ever get around to giving me a better option then perhaps they can have my money again. IF VM had not been rolling out in Thanet then I would have had a new line installed, which would have almost certainly been connected to the Huawei cabinet that was stood earlier in the year, but alas a better option came along  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2017, 08:31:17 AM »

Well said Ronski. Although I pay TT for my service all my issues have been with OR and the lousy choice of ECI cabinets and old fashioned copper cables. If BT want to stay in this game then at some point they will have to bite the bullet and get into the 21st century with their local infrastructure as it is its barely 20th century.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »

Ha ha ...... not quite the 'Full angst' bite, I was expecting from the two gentleman above.  ;) ;D ;D

In all seriousness, that's what competitive markets are there for ... to suit the individual needs of the consumers. Be that, price, speed, after-sales service etc etc .....

In any new venture ... you pays yer money, you teks yer chance ....... I do sincerely hope it pays off for you both.   

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2017, 01:22:55 PM »

Thanks BS, I considered it a be nice to purple sheep day  ;D and I  was determined not to bite back.

Worse case scenario I'll take out another FTTC line, but I really doubt it will come to that, it will take quite a while for VM to build up customers to saturation point.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:25:00 PM by Ronski »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »

:) :drink:

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2017, 08:35:10 PM »

to be fair ronski I would do the same, you in a brand new area, might be fine.

But I would keep the dsl active when its ordered and then you got option to fall back easily if its not working well, especially as VM got 30 days refund policy.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2017, 08:58:47 PM »

That's the plan  :fingers:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »

Congestion on the new FTTP areas is unlikely. These are much easier to upgrade when they start to get full than the hybrid networks. As long as Margate doesn't have any issues, and it really shouldn't have been picked as the hubsite for this deployment if it did, all should be good.

The FTTP sites are a boon for VM too - no need for optical transceivers in the hubsite, Ethernet switches take their place with the areas that would've required separate lasers between Margate and them just running as VLANs in between Margate and the virtual hub cabinet in question. Whereas with the hybrid network they may need new fibre to split areas and reduce the customers sharing the bandwidth with the RFoG solution as long as there's room on line cards and Ethernet ports it's configuration changes.

John2005

• Just arrived
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2017, 10:26:01 PM »

Hello all, so I am a massive massive fan/supporter of Virgin Media and ever since I first discovered the world of broadband I took out a package with Virgin Media (down in london) fast forward many many years...and I had to move out to Kent, Herne Bay. To my horror , I found out that Virgin Media broadband was not possible out here, and was forced to take out packages with other companies. I have never been happy...and now have moved to Thanet, Ramsgate (clements road) to be exact whereby Virgin Media was not available too which I assumed. However, a google search of if it is coming or planned has brought me here and needless to say, I am one step away from peeing myself with excitement. If I understand this correctly, Virgin Media are bringing broadband to thanet? and it is going to be live very soon? Their website unfortunately is still showing as broadband not available and not planned for my postcode but does anyone know when and if my road specifically will be having Virgin media broadband?

I've seen a load of Virgin Media vans doing construction on the road itself which looks very promising! but again, anyone know exactly when or IF the broadband will be coming ? I have heard/read somewhere that theyre only bringing mobile telephone services here, but not broadband. Given this topic it seems that is not the case?

I just really can't wait to cancel this current broadband service and get back to Virgin Media!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30

anything