Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?  (Read 112950 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media coming to Thanet?
« Reply #270 on: April 05, 2018, 08:58:33 PM »

Ha ha, touche !! ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2018, 06:56:15 AM »

Dont worry ronski, as long as you have a billion threads you can get full speed on VM. :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2018, 03:53:09 PM »

My speeds already decreased and I'm not even connected yet  ::) ::) Just had phone call saying Vivid 350 isn't available.

I noticed earlier this week that the website sometimes said Vivid 350 wasn't available,  other times it was.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2018, 06:43:01 PM »

Is that the one you really want or not happy with their 200mbit service? Still circa 4x higher max burst speed than your vdsl.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #274 on: April 07, 2018, 07:47:44 AM »

It's the upload speed I really want to improve, hence wanting Vivid 350 which has 20Mbps upload, Vivid 200 only has 12Mbps. Still better than my current 7Mbps.

Of course the extra download speed will be nice to.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #275 on: April 07, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »

So whats the status, is the entire order on hold or you going ahead with 200 and plan to upgrade when 350 comes online?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #276 on: April 07, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »

Going ahead with 200, and if they don't upgrade upload speeds (been rumoured for along time, so won't count on it) then I'll upgrade to 350 when available.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #277 on: April 07, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »

I should mention 350 is now available in my area. For whatever reason what seemed like congestion was a transitive thing. As can be seen from my BQM things are fairly well behaved now.

I'm okay with running this contract down until we move to somewhere with awful 'shared, asymmetrical fibre'.

hornet156

« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »

I'm all setup now tv seems to be ok not really watched it much yet
bit of an issue with the fiber but that is my issue not virgin as I use power adapters and only seem to be getting around 50-60 down and 12up hard-wired to my pc using the powerline but I have checked on my phone and I'm getting around 175 down and 12up
I'm going to get a wifi card for my pc over the weekend so ill let you know how I get on

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:35 PM »

That's good, glad it went well (so far), got a while to go for mine, just hope they phone when they come to install the outside stuff.

When they did the outside work did they install the fibre to the house then or just ducting?

hornet156

« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »

they installed it then the guy today just installed a little white box on my wall then the cables from that to the tv box and modem

also, you need 3 plug sockets 1 each for the tv and router and one that powers the little white box on the wall

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »

Thanks Hornet156, had forget the media converter would need power as well as the hub, running a little short of sockets in my server room. Best I sort that out before install day.

renluop

• Kitizen
Do your pavements look like a war zone?
« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2018, 09:14:25 AM »

I know this is completely OT, but hopefully it will amuse you. A town not far from me is  having VM, but is full of crusties like this one.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »

I know this is completely OT, but hopefully it will amuse you. A town not far from me is  having VM, but is full of crusties like this one.

Well there are quite a lot of people here who are fed up with the appalling mess they make while they are doing the work and feel the same about the state of the footpaths after it is finished. Paved paths are simply filled in with tarmac not re-instated and grass verges are left muddy with no grass left. I know this work is intrusive and certainly some of the contractors have been accommodating in allowing access but by no means all, but the paths are NOT being re-instated as they were before and to my mind they should have been. If it's paved then re-pave it, if it's tarmac then use the same colour tarmac (not all our pavements are black tarmac) and if it's concrete then re-concrete. They really should leave it so their work is almost invisible.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2018, 11:14:52 AM »

Though my suspicions are that he expects absolute perfect reinstatement. Unblemished pavements  are not frequent and I'm sure you would not expect that.

That town wants to hold back the future. They are fighting a merger with Bournemouth and Poole, approved by Govt, and ridiculously tried to move from Dorset to Hampshire. And to write to Branson suggests more out of touchness with the world.

I wouldn't think Thanet is like that.

End of thread interruption.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30