Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Thumbs up for Vodafone  (Read 1997 times)

Westie

• Kitizen
Thumbs up for Vodafone
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:07:54 PM »

We moved out of our previous property shortly after we had negotiated a new 40/10 speed contract with Vodafone, so recontracted at the current property in order to avoid the not insignificant cancellation charges. Unfortunately we then experienced significant congestion in the evenings, even though we were many miles closer to their HQ. However, some months ago VF must have made changes to their backhaul, because the congestion disappeared, and hasn't been back since! Good for VF! :)

Last week I noticed that the contract would end in mid April - probably just as most ISP's are experiencing maximum disruption with staffing levels!  :(
I rang customer services the day India announced a lockdown, and neither the phone nor online chat was being responded to.  :( :(
I tried the 'upgrades' option on their automated call handler, and got through to someone in the UK who was extremely helpful! As a result I am now on a 80/20 contract (syncing at 77/20) and paying marginally less than I was for 40/10! The switchover was seamless, just after 3:00am last night.  :D

One happy bunny :thumbs:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Thumbs up for Vodafone
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »

A good result.  :)

One quick query, please. What are you using as your modem (or modem/router)?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:40:15 PM »

Result  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 08:13:20 PM »

One quick query, please. What are you using as your modem (or modem/router)?

Modem: Huawei HG612
Router: Pepwave Surf SOHO

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:50 PM »

Thanks. I just wanted to check that you were not using the Vodafone supplied re-badged Huawei device.

I think it was in December 2016 that N*Star migrated to Vodafone and they would not provide the credentials to allow the use of any other CPE. Vodafone paid out a lot of money to Openreach to prove that there was nothing wrong with the physical line, it was their useless device. Some months later, N*Star was allowed to exit the contract, without penalty, and return to his previous ISP/CP.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »

Vodafone are now quite happy for customers to use other than the CPE they supply. Here's an extract from their current (July 2019) T&Cs:
3.7.         Equipment. We will supply the broadband equipment to you. You can use your own router to receive the services but you must (i) ensure it is compatible; and (ii) use the Vodafone router in order to display speed information on the Vodafone Broadband app.

I note that now they do not even appear to insist on "approved" equipment, as long as it is "compatible".

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 10:05:35 PM »

I note that now they do not even appear to insist on "approved" equipment, as long as it is "compatible".

That's sensible . . . and good to know.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 02:02:29 AM »

Surprised you didn't know as "We" were instrumental in Vodafone reversing that decision in 2017. - See here   Vodafone changed stance on using own routers.

As a combined effort members of this forum managed to crack the HHG2500 and extract the passwords. Whilst doing so bishbashbosh discovered a possible security vulnerability in the modem code, so doing the right thing he advised Vodafone and I temporarily removed some of the posts & content in order to give Vodafone time to patch the flaw. 

Only forum members can view the Modem Unlocking section so there was a small flurry of Vodafone techs signing up to read the HHG2500 thread, and one of whom made direct contact with myself.    Anyhow they decided that since we'd managed to hack it then there wasn't much point continuing their stance and they agreed that in future they would disclose the login info as long as the EU was using an MCT approved modem.   
I would assume 'compatible' means transceivers specified as meeting the requirements in ITU G.993.2.  - which broadly speaking is what Openreach MCT tests are based on. 

Not actually sure if I like that wording, because it seems a bit ambiguous to me as I'm not sure what they mean about "Vodafone Broadband app".
First sentence implies you can use another router....  but then goes on to say you must use it in order to display speed information on the Vodafone broadband app.  :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 08:13:01 AM »

From what I can recall from the (limited) time I was using the HHG2500, the Vodafone Broadband app was/is a piece of software that users could download which would interrogate the modem/router and report limited info such as sync rate. It was useful for VF to demonstrate to non-tech people what their connection 'speed' was. However, it only works with the HHG2500, and as far as I can remember served no other useful purpose.

I ditched it as soon as I started using the HG612.  ;)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 08:57:21 AM »

Not actually sure if I like that wording, because it seems a bit ambiguous to me as I'm not sure what they mean about "Vodafone Broadband app".
First sentence implies you can use another router....  but then goes on to say you must use it in order to display speed information on the Vodafone broadband app.  :-\

Agree, it appears to say that you both can and can't use your own equipment in the same sentence. I think what they mean is that if you want to use the app then you must use their router, but it's far from clear.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 07:26:15 PM »

Surprised you didn't know . . .

A lot has taken place, since then, and I had forgotten all the details.  :-[

anything