Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any Kobo Experts on Here?  (Read 7478 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Any Kobo Experts on Here?
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »

Hi,

I use a Kobo "Aura" and have done so for a couple of years now.  Suddenly it's started playing up.  First sign was locking up so substantially that I ended up doing a full factory reset, which opened a bag of worms in that it updated it's firmware, in turn meaning I needed to update the management software (Calibre) and it's Kobo plugin.  Since then it keeps locking up, and behaving oddly in other ways.

I'm thinking hardware, since these lock ups appear to happen pretty randomly, although so far not actually during reading operation (I don't think).

Anyone have any other opinion?   I can't really think there's any cleaner way I can build it than that factory reset, but would it be worth trying just a factory reset and manually load some stuff (ie not using the Calibre software)?

Thanks,

Tony S

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Any Kobo Experts on Here?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:05:18 AM »

I use a Kobo Touch and recently there was a software update and now all the menus are different - takes some getting used to - but no other problems. In the past I have had to do a reset (the Touch has a pinhole in the back that accepts a pin to operate a microswitch) but not had to do that since the software update. Incidentally I didn't ask for the update, it just came down overair. I don't like Android but so far the Kobo works OK and cheaper than Kindle. I use Adobe Digital Editions to download local library books and still does that.
Tony

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:15:24 PM »

Had a play with some ones Kobo because of locking up, if you connect to a pc a drill down to the core files and delete the database (for your book subscriptions) all will be ok  :fingers:
Well thats how I fixed it, Just another linux box.... data base gets corrupted and wont let you synch with your account.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

BigJ

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »

I've got a kobo Touch but haven't used it in years. Have you googled to see if you can find an older versions of the firmware to flash? There was a forum which I used to frequent which had links to different firmware versions. I'll see if I can dig up the info.

BigJ

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:36:12 PM »

Here you go. Where to find direct firmware links

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:17:32 AM »

Thanks for the comments.  It seems to have settled down now so I guess it wasn't hardware causing the lock-ups.   By the way I didn't really notice any difference in the menus following the firmware update.