Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best ever performance in Weaver-land  (Read 1249 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Best ever performance in Weaver-land
« on: April 02, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »

My DSL pipes and associated kit have never ever been doing as well. Downstream has never been better and now upstream performance is hugely (and very mysteriously) improved, up to what it should be after years of being defective. I had actually forgotten that at one time the upstream had actually been ok, but at that time I just though it was a result to do with unreliable speed testers and then forgot about it completely. Downstream has just about adequate reliability at way below 3dB SNRM, but it doesn't stick at the 3dB target for very long, not sure how long. Time between resyncs is acceptable. There are very short periods of say 1% packet loss at certain points each day and I am assuming that it's just due to the very low downstream SNRM but I don't want to change it. It would be better if the downstream SNRM were a bit more controlled long-term perhaps.

The arrival of 21CN has cut a substantial chunk of my bandwidth costs in half - that is the daytime peak office hours - and an end to the frustrations of ancient brain-damaged DLM and the wasteful profile speed rungs, plus 3dB downstream target SNRM. ADLS2 and better DSLAMs brought big speed improvements too. SRA would be brilliant.

I would love to try out some serious modems. There might be a bit more performance still to be had for two reasons. The mysteriously failed Huawei SmartAX MT882 experiment did show promise because higher downstream sync rates were achieved about 150kbps better, maybe a bit more. But one or two other things makes me think there is a faint chance that some more performance could be more available: our good OR engineer's JDSU downstream-synched at 3.3Mbps, as opposed to my modems’ 2.9, if that means anything and also BTW's ADSL checker shows a top of the predicted range at 3.5 Mbps, fwiw. I am wondering about trying out a ZyXel VDSL router as a modem.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Best ever performance in Weaver-land
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

I am too exhausted at the moment to do various small jobs (with Mrs Weaver’s help) that I have set myself, including getting started on setting up the Cisco WAPs.

I also have a mountain of modems - main and spares - which are waiting to have their config upgraded to use RFC2684-B-VC-MUX instead of LLC, following recent revelations, thanks to Burakkucat, and that will give me another small performance boost, provided it works of course. I mentioned this in another thread. Since I have been warned - rightly or wrongly - that the use of LLC is 'unreliable', whatever that might mean, I am wondering what to look out for. I thought that LLC with PPPoEoA did not work, but iirc this was based on a test I did ages ago and on 20CN BRAS + g.993.1 DSLAMs.

I am thinking about getting a much better switch for serious enforcement of LAN-internal security policies to defeat evil hosts inside a LAN. This is to gain experience in case I start to implement a second LAN which Mrs Weaver's guests (she does B&B etc) are allowed to live in.

anything