Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dodgy Cooling System  (Read 3367 times)

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
Dodgy Cooling System
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »

Hi all,
       Ok long story short about 6months ago I decided to build a PC and so i did. Two days ago I was playing Command and Conquer Generals but just as I loaded up my game a warning box said my Graphics card and Processor are overheating so I checked my CPU stats and the screen showed my CPU temprature as 29Degrees Centigrade and every other component was between 25 - 37Degrees so I ignored the warning box and proceeded to play the game then all of a sudden I started smelling something burning but because the neighbours were cooking I thought it was them but 10mins later the PC shut down suddenly so I let it rest but it wouldnt boot up so I opened it up but there wasnt any cosmetic damage to anything but the motherboard and the cooling fan seemed to be missing I know my PC is screwed but I wanted to know can I be trusted to build another home Pc or should i give up and buy a toshiba :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Dodgy Cooling System
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »

CPU cooling fans can be a real PITA to fit so I guess you didn't locate one of the clips properly. Apart from the resulting expense, I don't think you should feel too bad about it. Whether you trust yourself to do it again is something only you can decide. :) A compromise option might be to get a barebones system and add your custom bits to that.
  Eric

J.Man

• Reg Member
  • When PC's couldnt get any worse there came Vista
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:01:29 PM »

Barebone system I heard of those but never knew what they are. Thanks roseway ill check those out and look for some good parts too

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »

"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."