Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Google Maps update is set to reveal your live location  (Read 4496 times)

insidejob

Google Maps update is set to reveal your live location
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:07:10 AM »

Don't know if correct forum for this but better watch out, as google really will be tracking you with that smart phone using google maps.  :o

Google is about to allow its popular Maps app to share the location of users.

As part of a new Google Maps feature update, which is thought to be launching soon, Google is adding a tool that allows users to share their real time location.

This will mean friends and family will able to see exactly where they are at any specific time.
The feature is made possible via the GPS that's included in all modern smartphones - which can pinpoint a position to within a few metres.
Many apps, such Apple's Find Friends, already include tracking and it can be incredibly useful for locating friends and for parents to keep an eye on their children as they make their way to school.

However, not everyone is going to like the thought of being spied on.
Don't panic too much though, Google's not going to let people see your location without your express permission first.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/783300/Google-Maps-update-location-how-to-switch-it-off

This comment is exactly right.
revor Ammanford
One of the benefits of having a "dumb" phone.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Google Maps update is set to reveal your live location
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:22:50 AM »

tin foil hat anyone? I can do that now with Google maps.
I don't see what the problem with it is, if you don't want to enable it, then don't.

you know you can use an android phone without logging into a Google account.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

insidejob

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:29:07 AM »

Tin foil hat is a term coined by the CIA, to discredit someone, or something you dont want people to know about.

Just as well I dont use and android phone then, isn't it. :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:29:55 AM »

Janet used to know someone who actually was a tinfoil hat merchant.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:47 AM »

According to  wiki, The concept of a foil hat for protection against interference of the mind was mentioned in a science fiction short story by Julian Huxley, "The Tissue-Culture King", first published in 1927, in which the protagonist discovers that "caps of metal foil" can block the effects of telepathy.

insidejob

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 12:42:58 AM »

Dray LoL it don't do any of that.

You won't find what I said on wiki, as it's not something they want you to know. :D

insidejob

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:46:03 AM »

So who now is going to ditch there android, iphone after this from google?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 12:53:50 AM »

I would be surprised if anyone did

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 02:40:11 AM »

Why would anyone ditch their phone because it has the option to share location? Note the word in bold. Just... don't enable it, or am I missing something? Come back and ask that again when anyone can access it without you letting them.

Android/iPhones have had apps available that can track/share location for years. The only difference here is it's a preinstalled app, or is it because it's a Google app?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »

So who now is going to ditch there android, iphone after this from google?

I'm certainly not, it's far too useful, I should think it's only those that have something to hide or are simply paranoid!

It's also nothing new Apple has been doing it for years, I'm surprised it has taken Google so long.

I would be concerned if anyone could access it, as that becomes a safety issue/or make it easier for thieves to know when you're out - this is why I don't advertise when I'm on holiday for instance, also a time when my phone is very useful.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:41:22 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »

I think the issue is not paranoia but simple security. I would not want my location made public simply because it gives an indication to anyone with ideas of breaking in that you are not at home. Its the same reason I do not allow any social media to show where I am. It's well known that people have been burgled because they publicise that they are away from home.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »

Indeed, and I mentioned that in my post.

insidejob

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 12:38:58 AM »

I think the issue is not paranoia but simple security. I would not want my location made public simply because it gives an indication to anyone with ideas of breaking in that you are not at home. Its the same reason I do not allow any social media to show where I am. It's well known that people have been burgled because they publicise that they are away from home.

Stuart

Thank broadstairs, that is very true and correct.  :thumbs:

I think the ones who think like ronski, should read this. Very true and correct if you can open your eyes. :)
http://www.computerweekly.com/blog/Identity-Privacy-and-Trust/Debunking-a-myth-If-you-have-nothing-to-hide-you-have-nothing-to-fear

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »

Oh well, I'd better trash all my computers, phones and tablets,   sell up and move to a desert  island  :P

We're tracked whatever we do,  do you drive, have a debit or credit card, loyalty cards, use a bank account, have a dumb mobile (it can still be tracked), avoid cctv?

I'm going to get on with living my life,  taking sensible precautions, and not worry about an extremely small chance of being caught up in something because my ip address shows my approximate location or Google knows exactly where I am, or my finger print is on something. As far as I'm concerned the benefits out weigh the risks -  when sensible precautions are taken. I don't advertise when I'm away,  never have done.

huwwatkins

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »

Good video about tinfoil hats and how much signal they do and don't stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJJENB1UsIU
Pages: [1] 2

anything