Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Modem-to-wallsocket cables recap (again, groan)  (Read 26002 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Modem-to-wallsocket cables recap (again, groan)
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2017, 03:59:43 PM »

Roseway, how would I select the correct ones? I want to stop noise getting up the DC cable into my modems?

It's far too many years since I worked for a company which made them (among many other things) so I'm not qualified to advise. But this article might help:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/choosing-and-using-ferrite-beads/
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »

> many years since I worked for a company which made them
Much respect.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2017, 04:32:58 PM »

I have done the first set of measurements with the runitdirect cables and compared them with the Tandy cables. This is not a fair comparison because the runitdirect cables are all half the length, 0.25m * 2 and 0.5m for the third, whereas the Tandy cables are 0.5m and 1m. Also proper anti-DLM precautions have not been followed, and this is not a decent statistical sample so extreme caution has to be taken.

The runitdirect direct cables synched around the same rates as the Tandy cables, on average very very slightly slower in both directions ( < 0.3% down, < 1% up ) not at all statistically significant and they were not consistently slower either so I suggest no conclusion can be drawn. Also SNRM figures at the time of the Tandy measurement were all over the place so no conclusion can be drawn from them, but if decent repeat SNRM figures can be captured it might be worth trying to include initial SNRMs into the evaluation of the synch results (somehow?). The attenuation figures both down and up were a fixed 0.1 dB worse for the runitdirect cables consistently across all lines. Within the limitations of the fact that this is only one sample this is an interesting result that the runitdirect cables cause everso slightly more loss even though they are half the length. But set against this is the fact that the lines have a 0.6dB downstream / 0.5dB upstream spread between them anyway, despite the fact that the runs are identical, so it could just possibly be that this 0.1dB is merely within the noise threshold. However it is interesting that the difference is fixed.

So the Tandy cables have a possible extremely slight performance advantage over the runitdirect cables, but you would do very well with either.

Mrs Weaver said that the runitdirect cables were an extremely good fit, having the strictly correct RJ45 plug on the wallsocket end.

So at this extremely early stage there is nothing much in it, as expected.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »

bad news from me, when i inserted the cable was no click also the cable came out too easy just a slight bit of pressure and pops out the socket, test on two spare faceplates and is same (done video of it)

i tried it anyway but no sync at all, if i put pressure to push cable in the dsl started to sync but stopped when i let gom so seems a dud and maybe these larger connectors are not as good as is said.

now do i return for an exchange the postal costs vs the value of the cable skyrocket

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nr5myva37h5j0c0/20170413_064440.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/es8t4jfei18umgd/20170413_064216.mp4?dl=0
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:03:59 AM by Chrysalis »

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2017, 08:23:09 AM »

Not wanting to insult your intelligence, but have you tried pulling the pressure relief sleeve back before inserting into the socket.

Used to get this a lot with Ethernet fly leads and it was nearly always that the sleeve was stopping the cable going all the way into the socket.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2017, 08:46:41 AM »

how do i do that im not sure what you mean

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2017, 08:53:07 AM »

now its ok i pulled that rubber sleeving away its loose now on the cable not sure what its purpose is, thanks

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »

It's has two purposes in life: one functional and the other aesthetic.

The functional element is is that it is there as a stress reliever in case someone pulls the cable at an angle.  It just stops teh cables being bent sharply where the go into the RJ45 plug.

The other reason it is there is to make it look a bit nicer as it hides the cables going into the RJ45.

All we used to do is pull the sleeve back, plug into the socket and then push the sleeve back against the face of the socket.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

thats what i have done now although its loose so i dont think it will do much to prevent stress

line is now using it so can asses error rate

jaydub

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »

Will be interested to hear your feedback on the cable performance.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2017, 10:27:03 AM »

thats what i have done now although its loose so i dont think it will do much to prevent stress

line is now using it so can asses error rate
That's how they are designed. Vince's cables have similar rubber moulds that slide back when connecting the cable and a few complained his cable fell apart on them but they are designed to be like that.

For handmade cables with solid core cabling they either leave a blank rj45 connector or cover it with the rubber sleeve. You could cut it off if you see no purpose for it but I find it protects the release clip from damage especially when unplugging the cable. It's only on mass produced cables that you'll get a fixed moulded cover and I've never found 1 with solid core wiring.

Let us know how the cable performs with your VDSL2 circuit Chrysalis. The delivery cost put me off ordering but might bite if they do a good job.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

im on mdws so you can watch :) my main curiosity is if it helps the afternoon error spikes which i think are local

note there is a chance i may get interleaved today which will interrupt the test

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2017, 01:05:38 PM »

I got the Vince / Mr Telephone CATx RJ45-RJ11 cable and it looks rather better made than the earlier one as the cable type itself is much better suited to attachment into an rj11 plug.

It will take a long time to have _any_ chance at all of detecting any performance difference, if such even exists, because random variations affecting modems' choices during training have so much noise in them. I think it might even require multiple resyncs with anti-DLM techniques applied and then comparisons done _at the same time of day_ when the levels of alien activity are comparable. There seems to be just too much noise sometimes in sync rate figures.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2017, 03:56:19 PM »

Errors are very low on the DS, I am comparing to when my line was last on the same SNRM, so before nov 2016 and the ES is lower and the CRC to ES ratio is a lot lower.

US ES is higher than before the cable swap and I now find myself with the DS error rates less than double of the US ES O_o.

Errored Seconds
DS avg 3.64/hour
US avg 2.13/hour

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2018, 02:45:20 AM »

I am thinking about going for all 0.25 m cables and sticking the modems onto the wall somehow. Suggestions?

I am not sure, but I don't think the modems have picture hook things, whatever they are called, on their underside.

It would have to be with double-sided sticky pads.

Do I need to worry a lot about heat dissipation? I think I should try not to insulate the underside or block air holes there. Orienting the PC vertically ought to be a good thing, no? Indeed, isn't that the way that ZyXEL went anyway, with the later B10D?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7