Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Modem-to-wallsocket cables recap (again, groan)  (Read 26013 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Modem-to-wallsocket cables recap (again, groan)
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »

I have ordered a Vince cable. Not sure if it has arrived or not yet.

I'm afraid I don't follow NewtronStar. The earlier Vince cable that I had - a couple of years ago - was looking pretty sorry when I first got it, and it didn't fall a long time later apart because of repeated fumblings. The new ones could well be very different. Does that help?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »

We talked about DSL cables years ago should we use the supplied ISP none twisted type or use DSL cable that has two or four pairs in the twisted configuration most said they could not see a big difference in sync, but if have a lot of electrical/electronic equipment in your Man Cave and the modem is close by then use good twisted DSL cable from ADSL/FTTC socket to modem as it should subdue most of those internal interferers.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2017, 12:36:33 AM »

Or woman cave. I can't see any reason not to use twisted pair at least. I do try very hard to keep mains away from my dsl cables which are ridiculously short. Since the modems are dc anyway, there is nothing to worry about, but there is ac mains to the router so I have to keep that cable away from the modems. I doubt it matters unless they are really close, depends on which power law is in effect.

(I'm assuming that it's basically it's an O(r -1) field but then you need to differentiate that because of the protection given by common mode rejection, so perhaps O(r -2) is what we need. Any chance that that is correct?)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2017, 01:16:50 AM »

Vince makes up his patch cables using solid-core wires. Cables with solid-core wires should only be used as structured wiring. I.e. Fixed in position, by cable clips, by staples, in trunking, in conduit.

Patch cables, by the very nature of their usage, should be flexible. Flexibility by virtue of the usage of stranded wires.

An xDSL signal (be it G.992.1/G.992.3/G.992.5/G.993.2) is a radio frequency signal, constrained to the wires in the cable. The cables should not be thought of as a pair of wires carrying DC or very low frequency AC but as radio frequency feeders.

The higher the frequency, the bigger the skin effect, the greater the attenuation. At a particular radio frequency, which cable shows greater attenuation? That consisting of: (1) a pair of solid-core wires or (2) a pair of stranded wires. (In each case, the total quantity of copper used in each wire of those two cables is identical.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2017, 02:34:01 AM »

Vince makes up his patch cables using solid-core wires. Cables with solid-core wires should only be used as structured wiring. I.e. Fixed in position, by cable clips, by staples, in trunking, in conduit.
Isn't that what the run-it-direct vdsl patch cables linked above use? They use CW1724 solid core bought direct from BT Cables.

I'm tempted to give 1 a go as Vince's  vdsl cat5e patch cable was an improvement on my line. My modem doesn't really move but the cable is flexible enough for my needs. As to Vinces cable falling apart, the white rubber moulding covering the rj45 port is supposed move as I recall that being a previous complaint.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2017, 04:37:13 AM »

I agree entirely with Burakkucat. I am getting one for the sake of science.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »

Different circuits shouldn't make any difference they should all be connected to the same earth connection at the DB (as would the patch cabinet at one end & the equipment at the other).

From an electrical safety point of view that's correct, they'll all be within the same equipotential zone which might or might not equate to true earth.  When considering very small signals I'm not so sure.  For example building an audio amplifier it was necessary to keep the grounds on a sort of star, with each path being grounded only at one end.  .

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »

@displaced - the AdslNation / Tandy cables are available in 0.5m lengths and the run-it-direct cables are even available in 0.25m lengths. Hurrah! That should be short enough for you. I though I had it bad. You have it bad.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2017, 06:16:49 PM »

I brought some ferrite thingies to try and solve noise problems going through a usb charging cable to my headphone amplifier (it only gets no noise when direct to a phone charger).  I was wondering if they would work on dsl cables as well, but wont even bother trying as it didnt even do anything on the usb cable noise.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2017, 08:14:19 PM »

Do you think I should stick one of these on my drop wire Chry  :hmm:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2017, 02:20:47 AM »

Surely you don't want to be putting ferrites on your signal cables? Who wants to attenuate high frequencies, or am I going mad?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2017, 07:52:04 AM »

Ferrites come in numerous different grades with widely different characteristics. To be any use they have to be matched to the particular requirement, which needs knowledge. You can't just go out and buy whatever ferrite rings happen to be available and expect them to solve interference problems.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 02:59:06 PM »

Roseway, how would I select the correct ones? I want to stop noise getting up the DC cable into my modems?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »

Surely you don't want to be putting ferrites on your signal cables? Who wants to attenuate high frequencies, or am I going mad?

was just a theory bud, they were purchased for noise on my usb cable's.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »

Chrysalis - no offence meant at all, I was just sanity-checking myself. I'm assuming that ferrites will be really bad for data signals.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7